B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

100%. Imagine if we had just  two fast commuter rail lines, one all the way to hope and another your way. How many new viable home subdivisions could we have? How many cars off the road?

Would we build hwy 5 today?

Yes cause the rail line probably wouldn't work due to mechanical defects.

Edited by chris12345
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They need to couple this kind of spending with projects that will generate profit for the province such as the LNG projects and more hydroelectric projects. Its the only way they will be able to afford to provide the required support to the growing population. BC has many natural resources that can be tapped into, but we also have to make sure we do our due diligence to minimize the environmental impact. 

This part was very surprising to me where to talks about investing in hydrogen manufacturing and how there is huge demand for it na dhow if BC acts quickly it could be a major economic boom for us:

"And we also have big international companies visiting British Columbia to talk about hydrogen. We had Fortescue, a huge Australian mining company, their CEO fly to Prince George to meet with the mayor and the local First Nation to talk about a $2 billion hydrogen export plant to decarbonize steel operations around the world. POSCO, a huge Korean steelmaking firm in conversations with BC about a site to export hydrogen to decarbonize their steelmaking operations in Korea. I think that if we move quickly, we're going to be able to seize on this. And that's the big question. Electricity does not move quickly. It is the opposite. It is a highly regulated industry. It is a very slow moving beast. And so we put in place a task force at BC Hydro to find ways to move faster around bringing new transmission and generation online. Where does LNG fit into all this? Our government delivered the LNG Canada project as well as Wood Fiber LNG which just started construction and Cedar LNG which is the largest indigenous energy project in North America. And so we recognize, I recognize that LNG is part of our economic and energy mix. at the same time as we recognize that fossil fuel infrastructure, its days are numbered. And so we're not putting all our eggs in that basket. In fact, when I met with the companies that are the big proponents behind LNG Canada, they're finding ways to pivot to clean energy sources like hydrogen, and they're going to be our partners in those projects as well. So we're all looking to decarbonize. We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050."

On 10/9/2024 at 3:10 PM, Boudrias said:

John Rustad announces plan to overhaul BC Ferries

The BC Conservative leader also said his party would hold management to account and introduce a monthly flat-fee program for regular travellers

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

The British Columbia Conservatives are standing by a candidate who called Palestinian children “inbred” and “time bombs,” remarks that NDP Leader David Eby describes as "criminal hate speech.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

100%. Imagine if we had just  two fast commuter rail lines, one all the way to hope and another your way. How many new viable home subdivisions could we have? How many cars off the road?

Would we build hwy 5 today?

Absolutely we would.

The BC floods in 2021 led to more than a billion dollars in highway repairs to #5, #8 & #1. I haven’t seen costs for rail lines that were wiped out but between closures of highways and rail by floods and wildfire show pretty clearly the importance of having a variety of options for transportation. Many have already forgotten the stress put on the already Covid-overwhelmed supply chain of 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bc-floods-rail-impact-1.6250554

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. Conservatives stand by candidate who called Palestinian children 'inbred'

The British Columbia Conservatives are standing by a candidate who called Palestinian children “inbred” and “time bombs,” remarks that NDP Leader David Eby describes as "criminal hate speech.

Of course, they have to appeal to their base of racists.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Absolutely we would.

The BC floods in 2021 led to more than a billion dollars in highway repairs to #5, #8 & #1. I haven’t seen costs for rail lines that were wiped out but between closures of highways and rail by floods and wildfire show pretty clearly the importance of having a variety of options for transportation. Many have already forgotten the stress put on the already Covid-overwhelmed supply chain of 2021.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bc-floods-rail-impact-1.6250554

Yet japan manages with just as severe weather.

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not suggesting rail isn’t necessary or desirable, only that the two are complementary.

Oh for sure, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was just responding to Hip on the current funding climate.

Japan does have all our rail issues pre-solved for us tho. Pick an issue from heavy snow to rain to earthquakes and they have dealt with it.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The NDP has seemed hesitant at times when speaking about these big projects. There has been a lot of talk about these for a long time now, we need at least a couple of these projects green lit, as it will take some time to get operational, waiting until 2040 or 2050 when the demand is decreasing for these fuels would be a mistake.   

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The NDP has seemed hesitant at times when speaking about these big projects. There has been a lot of talk about these for a long time now, we need at least a couple of these projects green lit, as it will take some time to get operational, waiting until 2040 or 2050 when the demand is decreasing for these fuels would be a mistake.   

I don't think they're waiting until 2040 or 2050...not sure how you got that from the quote 😂

I think that if we move quickly, we're going to be able to seize on this.

He's simply saying they have long term plans and targets for decades in the future, not that they're waiting until then.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I don't think they're waiting until 2040 or 2050...not sure how you got that from the quote 😂

He's simply saying they have long term plans and targets for decades in the future, not that they're waiting until then.

"We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050." 

Doesnt sound very promising.

20 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

"We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050." 

Doesnt sound very promising.

Jebus dude. Reading comprehension...

And so we're not putting all our eggs in that basket. In fact, when I met with the companies that are the big proponents behind LNG Canada, they're finding ways to pivot to clean energy sources like hydrogen, and they're going to be our partners in those projects as well. So we're all looking to decarbonize. We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050."

They're talking about different targets for decarbonization. 

They plan to "move quickly" on hydrogen.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Jebus dude. Reading comprehension...

And so we're not putting all our eggs in that basket. In fact, when I met with the companies that are the big proponents behind LNG Canada, they're finding ways to pivot to clean energy sources like hydrogen, and they're going to be our partners in those projects as well. So we're all looking to decarbonize. We have different targets, 2030, 2040, 2050."

They're talking about different targets for decarbonization. 

They plan to "move quickly" on hydrogen.

Long-term planning not sounding promising is certainly an interesting take.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Long-term planning not sounding promising is certainly an interesting take.

No long term planning is kind of the conservative economic plan in a nutshell isn't it? 😂

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No long term planning is kind of the conservative economic plan in a nutshell isn't it? 😂

They keep saying that government needs to be run like a business while ignoring the fact that every business will take on debt to facilitate growth.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

They keep saying that government needs to be run like a business while ignoring the fact that every business will take on debt to facilitate growth.

Or how many business are run to maximize quarterly reports over long term growth and stability...

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Or how many business are run to maximize quarterly reports over long term growth and stability...

And that businesses are only in business to make money.  How does the money come into governments?  And yet the fiscal conservative "plan" has always been about reducing taxes and spending less.  How many businesses can exist by constantly reducing revenues?  And if businesses reduce spending towards the business, how can there be growth of the business?  And if both happen in tandem... 

:picard:

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

The question for me is, are we growing enough private business to cover all this in the future? I'm fine to pay for all the new stuff as long as there's an actual plan to pay for it all. Anyone can write a cheque.

BC is behind the national average in medium and large businesses: https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/sme-research-statistics/en/key-small-business-statistics/key-small-business-statistics-2023

We need more of these types organizations to sustain this level of debt. 

Isn't it interesting that we really don't get a lot of fiscal planning layed out by either the BC Cons or the NDP. Do they have the numbers or do they think the people are to simple to grasp them? When Horgan talked about the $2 billion taxes coming from LNG Canada I was impressed as no doubt he was. If you write off LNG Canada Phase 2 and the associated tax income it costs all British Columbians. That cost has to be weighed against the alternatives. That is why the Greens lost me years ago. Their economics is bizarre. 

I believe the NDP have had BC's credit rating downgraded 2X during their tenure. What does this cost us considering the debt being racked up? The NDP spend a lot but I am not clear on how they will work their way out of it? The BC Cons are throwing around some big spending ideas which are targeted to stimulating the economy and providing short term relief to taxpayers.  Sounds good but eventually the taxpayers end up paying the piper. That is true with either the NDP or the Conservatives. My assumption is that voters have a shorter timeline on who they will support. Ultimately they will support change whether that change is clearly defined or not. 

26 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Isn't it interesting that we really don't get a lot of fiscal planning layed out by either the BC Cons or the NDP. Do they have the numbers or do they think the people are to simple to grasp them? When Horgan talked about the $2 billion taxes coming from LNG Canada I was impressed as no doubt he was. If you write off LNG Canada Phase 2 and the associated tax income it costs all British Columbians. That cost has to be weighed against the alternatives. That is why the Greens lost me years ago. Their economics is bizarre. 

I believe the NDP have had BC's credit rating downgraded 2X during their tenure. What does this cost us considering the debt being racked up? The NDP spend a lot but I am not clear on how they will work their way out of it? The BC Cons are throwing around some big spending ideas which are targeted to stimulating the economy and providing short term relief to taxpayers.  Sounds good but eventually the taxpayers end up paying the piper. That is true with either the NDP or the Conservatives. My assumption is that voters have a shorter timeline on who they will support. Ultimately they will support change whether that change is clearly defined or not. 

It's depressing isn't it? BC is rudderless on economic growth planning right now.

I suspect if the BC cons actually won we wouldn't see that much spending but who knows, I don't think anyone can trust Rustad. 

Maybe this will lead to a better leader next election. 

@Boudrias just going over the BC gov't economic planning website. I'll pull this piece out as its my industry: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/initiatives-plans-strategies/technology-industry/life-sciences-biomanufacturing/bc_life_sciences_biomanufacturing_strategy_final_april_2023.pdf

It's a little funny, as the companies they highlight as leaders got their start under Campbell... but that aside, there's very little here thats new other than a promise for funding some more training, which is fine, but there's nothing here at all about supporting mid-sized companies which is where we really need the help. I also know it's not there from my clients. It's the usual stuff that has a lot of federal money attached to it, most of it going to UBC. 

I suspect the rest of the plan (https://strongerbc.gov.bc.ca/economic-plan/) is quite similar in being light on real SME assistance but maybe someone in another industry can show me a different picture. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

John Rustad announces plan to overhaul BC Ferries

The BC Conservative leader also said his party would hold management to account and introduce a monthly flat-fee program for regular travellers

Iirc the last time the Liberals/Socreds/ Bc Cons were in power they sold off the ferries.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

@Boudrias just going over the BC gov't economic planning website. I'll pull this piece out as its my industry: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/initiatives-plans-strategies/technology-industry/life-sciences-biomanufacturing/bc_life_sciences_biomanufacturing_strategy_final_april_2023.pdf

It's a little funny, as the companies they highlight as leaders got their start under Campbell... but that aside, there's very little here thats new other than a promise for funding some more training, which is fine, but there's nothing here at all about supporting mid-sized companies which is where we really need the help. I also know it's not there from my clients. It's the usual stuff that has a lot of federal money attached to it, most of it going to UBC. 

I suspect the rest of the plan (https://strongerbc.gov.bc.ca/economic-plan/) is quite similar in being light on real SME assistance but maybe someone in another industry can show me a different picture. 

Interesting. BC needs an active VC capacity other than government. I would be curious to see if/what restrictions are placed on buy-outs or takeovers based on funding. Often high growth companies outstripe their ability to finance their growth. The inability for BC/Canada to truly capitalize on their growth companies is frustrating. I am far more protectionist on this topic than ever before. As mentioned before I am more willing to question the value of NAFTA than ever before.