B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

Please I beg of you, vote out this NDP government.

This province is in shambles and change is needed. Has anyone wondered why so many politicians have joined the conservatives? Most of bc united did, Andrew weaver the former green party leader did.

Nobody joined the NDP cause they're tired of the status quo.

This whole 90% of vehicles EV by 2030 plan is so ill sighted, we barely have the power grid to power what we have on the road now.  I'm all for electric vehicles if all you need it for is your short commute.

But there is 1000% a need for combustion engines still.

Carbon pricing does not do shit for the environment but line their greedy pockets. Especially when much larger countries don't even have a carbon tax.

Don't be an idiot, don't vote for Eby.

NDP = No Down Payment.

I'm not here to tell you who to vote for, I'm here telling who NOT to vote for.

Go Canucks Go!

I wouldn't vote for the party of anti-Vaxxers either.  That leaves who...

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

Just now, Breadnbutta said:

This province is in shambles and change is needed. Has anyone wondered why so many politicians have joined the conservatives? Most of bc united did, Andrew weaver the former green party leader did.

This whole 90% of vehicles EV by 2030 plan is so ill sighted, we barely have the power grid to power what we have on the road now.  I'm all for electric vehicles if all you need it for is your short commute.

Carbon pricing does not do shit for the environment but line their greedy pockets. Especially when much larger countries don't even have a carbon tax.

NDP = No Down Payment.

Go Canucks Go!

I am normally a Con but these BC Cons have been going offroad lately a bit. 

I also work in a union so that challenges me in regards to supporting Cons in an election at the provincial level especially.

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Interesting. BC needs an active VC capacity other than government.

we've been doing better on this: https://www.bdc.ca/en/articles-tools/blog/venture-capital-plays-critical-role-canada-competitiveness

But the feds need to do much more if we want to keep more companies owned and operated in Canada. 

36 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I would be curious to see if/what restrictions are placed on buy-outs or takeovers based on funding. Often high growth companies outstripe their ability to finance their growth. The inability for BC/Canada to truly capitalize on their growth companies is frustrating. I am far more protectionist on this topic than ever before. As mentioned before I am more willing to question the value of NAFTA than ever before. 

It's two different issues tho. A better landscape for VC funding middle sized companies is what we need to grow and actually keep tech jobs here in Canada. 

I wouldn't want to mess with nafta, because we need markets to export to and making that harder to do just kills the company growth.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am normally a Con but these BC Cons have been going offroad lately a bit. 

I also work in a union so that challenges me in regards to supporting Cons in an election at the provincial level especially.

I agree they aren't the most charismatic bunch.

Definitely not like Pierre Poilievre and the federal conservative party. 

But I'd say they are the best option still. This province is a shell of what it used to be.

Edited by Breadnbutta
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

99.9% of conservatives are not anti vaxxers.

They are anti mandates.

Don't believe the bullshit tea leaves 

Bullshit is being against how the pandemic was handled.  Even Doug Ford, a Conservative populist, knows.

But believe what you want to believe.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 2

I am surprised that the treatment of Selina Robinson has never become an election issue. The streak of anti semitism that exists in the NDP and the union movement should be an issue. No shortage of self rightousness with Rustad's mistakes but silence on this?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am surprised that the treatment of Selina Robinson has never become an election issue. The streak of anti semitism that exists in the NDP and the union movement should be an issue. No shortage of self rightousness with Rustad's mistakes but silence on this?  

I'm not, a lot of people on the left don't really want to address this, or actually are fine with it. 

https://thetyee.ca/News/2024/10/11/Surrey-Doctors-NDP-Right-Track/

Now, I know 23 doctors and one NP is not anywhere close to a majority or even a sound consensus of the profession, but I don't think I've heard of any open letter so far that endorses the approach that BC Conservatives have proposed (do they even have a costed plan available yet?).

Excerpt 1:

“The reality is that our system had been chronically underfunded for decades,” it said. “Despite not always agreeing with the BC NDP on various issues, we have found common ground over the last number of years on the issue of improving health care in Surrey.”

There has been progress, it said, listing the new Surrey hospital that’s under construction, the regional cancer centre, more long-term care beds and a new cardiac catheterization lab. “These investments are crucial,” it said, “but there is much more work to do.”

A change of government could be detrimental, they wrote.

Excerpt 2 (in case you're wondering who these 2 dozen individuals are):

Signing the letter were nurse practitioner Meghan Dewar and doctors Kirn Bains, Harry Brar, Anna Chlebak, Harmeet Dhaliwal, Randeep Dhami, Baljinder Dhillon, Navneet Garcha, Younas Jan, Sumeet Kalia, Harman Kaur, Yashika Kaushal, Calvin Li, Kim Louie, Vanessa Nicolau, N. Papalia, Jagpaul Sahota, Reece Schemmer, Nishant Sharma, Navneet Sidhu, Hulbert Silver, Shweta Sundarajan, Husnain Syed and Shweta Yadav.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

My wife and I voted an hour ago, polling station had a steady stream of voters coming through. The folks on hand, were helpful and friendly. Get out and vote or don't bitch and whine.

bingo.

I'm still uncertain as to which way I'm going to vote, waiting on one more poll for my riding, but it's one of green or orange

I actually like the local NDP candidate as a person, 30 year VPD guy which I can respect. 

Edited by Bob Long

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

A friend of ours said Randene Neill is running on the Sunshine Coast riding for the NDP. Who knew?

She definitely is.

Judging by signage, in the Powell River area, she looking like the winner.

I will say, that there seems to be less signage out, for all parties, especially on privately owned property.

I guess people don't want the headaches of dealing with violent/virulent opposition.

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

NDP = No Down Payment.

Go Canucks Go!

Please provide a reasonable alternative that isn't subhuman vermin like Rustad and the rest of the bigoted imbeciles in his party.

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

bingo.

I'm still uncertain as to which way I'm going to vote, waiting on one more poll for my riding, but it's one of green or orange

I actually like the local NDP candidate as a person, 30 year VPD guy which I can respect. 

Pretty sure Melissa De Genova is going to win. I actually know her.  She’s also well respected in the real estate community and has a ton of experience in that area. We also need to get that whole area cleaned up. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’ve been following this guy for awhile. He seems to have a detailed breakdown of info for every riding. If these numbers are even somewhat accurate, the NDP are fooked…

Not according to the IPSOS poll shown last night on Global. They have the NDP up by 5 points, and Rustads popularity plummeting. Maybe he should have checked Brent Chapman's past before signing off on him as a candidate? 

Edited by Johngould21

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure Melissa De Genova is going to win. I actually know her.  She’s also well respected in the real estate community and has a ton of experience in that area. We also need to get that whole area cleaned up. 

Looks that way but hard to say how accurate the polls are. 

If she does win but the NDP retains power I wonder if nothing changes. 

10 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Please provide a reasonable alternative that isn't subhuman vermin like Rustad and the rest of the bigoted imbeciles in his party.

This is all bs that people post.

They aren't bigots or anti vaxers etc.

And personally I could care less about personal views. I want common sense policies. I want a cheaper cost of living.

I want parental consent and less sexualization in schools.

There should never be a cross dresser in any middle school. Ever.

It's disgusting that they bend over and take it from these vocal minorities

I want a government with the cohones to shut these people up and focus on what's important. A sustainable life.

Are the conservatives it? Who knows, you may be right.

But it's def not the NDP. They've had 7 years to fuck things up.

Vote for change, don't believe the bullshit you read online, believe what you see.

I've never seen so many tent cities ever, they big time dropped the ball with the free drugs and it has backed up emergency rooms. Revolving door narcan recipients.

Wasting our medical services for the people that actually need them,  like the elderly, and aren't on their 8th overdose of the year.

I liked John Horgan, I actually voted for him.

But David Eby ain't it.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Your post seems to a collection of things you've seen AND what you've seen online yet you say we shouldn't believe what we see on line.  (How many cross dressers have you seen in middle schools?)

this part is so silly. And damaging, but hey as long as he doesn't feel uncomfortable then I guess thats the real goal here. 

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I don't think anyone is saying all conservative candidates are bigots and/or anti-vaxxers.  It's just a surprising number of them seem to have a history of tweets and statements that are definitely in that ballpark.

I'm fine with second chances for people, all of us have said something regrettable at some point. But when you continue to promote the same stupid crap then people need to accept you at your word. Some of the bc con candidates don't belong anywhere near decision making power for things like healthcare or school policy.

• Vintage 1