B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure, but our country needs to key in on election interference within the country as much as it does out of it imo

It's annoying, I've talked about it in the Canadian politics thread, but there's a bunch of these conservative backed groups on Facebook and so on

Canada Proud this, whatever proud that, and they always propagate conservative talking points 

I don't engage with them so as to not fuck with my algorithm, but it's always Cons coopting Canadiana to try and sell their message

There's been a noticeable uptick of it within the last half decade or so  

They love to wrap themselves in the flag. Morons wouldn't be Canadian without things like good immigration policy.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They love to wrap themselves in the flag. Morons wouldn't be Canadian without things like good immigration policy.

I now shudder when I see a Canadian flag on a vehicle.  What the pieces of trash have been allowed to do to the Canadian flag is a disgrace to the country.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure, but our country needs to key in on election interference within the country as much as it does out of it imo

It's annoying, I've talked about it in the Canadian politics thread, but there's a bunch of these conservative backed groups on Facebook and so on

Canada Proud this, whatever proud that, and they always propagate conservative talking points 

I don't engage with them so as to not fuck with my algorithm, but it's always Cons coopting Canadiana to try and sell their message

There's been a noticeable uptick of it within the last half decade or so  

I often wear t-shirts with the Canadian Flag on them, or a ball cap with the maple leaf et cetera. it is what I now call "urban camouflage" as the trucker convoy cowboy types for some reason find it an open invitation to spew rhetorical filth about Canada and Trudeau like I am some member of their club. lmao. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

found a cool little view of the 338 election poll of polls website. I had not seen this layout until this morning. Polling averages laid against riding data leads to this forecast.

image.jpeg.952257298231e5c4d244db38a4cfe03f.jpeg

I have come to love living in the Okanagan, and I wince just a little when I see you guys putting it down, but I can't deny it often gives me the blues. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I have come to love living in the Okanagan, and I wince just a little when I see you guys putting it down, but I can't deny it often gives me the blues. 

I actually like the Okanagan. Loved trips to Peachland on vacation as a kid, and to... Vernon cadet camp too. My old childhood buddy from Abbotsford, I recently reconnected with on facebook, they chose to move to the interior too and recently bought a house there, selling their Abby one and pocketing the difference. Lots to be said for it. 
Downside is the political climate. My mom's nephew, my cousin, who was the same age as her roughly, and they grew up together. He was a war baby from her brother in uniform and his war bride back in the 2nd ww. Anyways, he grew up to be the last SOCRED minister of lands and forests, and jumped ship with the rest of them to the BCLIBS and then BCUPS and now BC CONS> he is very conservative and even more so in his old age. He owns five properties around the interior and had a fleet of helicopters with his forestry consulting business. I think he sold them off though in recent years. he has a lot money tied into the BC Cons right now and is driving sentiment around the interior, as a, i guess, elder conservative voice with many businesses driving his prosperity, he isn't shy to spend the money on behalf of his political bent. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Rustad is going to run a 11+Bil deficit followed by a mess.

Good plan. /s

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/conservative-platform-1.7352588

The CONs are not a serious party.  Voodoo economics on FULL display.  On what planet will BC have GDP growth north of 5% by 2030 when the only time we saw GDP growth north of 5% in the last 25 years was due to Covid.

Thing is even the NDP's target of 3.1% GDP growth is higher than what "experts" predict, but not insane and out of the realm of possibility like the CONs forecasts:

Both growth forecasts are well in excess of most other predictions, with TD Bank estimating 1.9 per cent real GDP growth in 2026 and the Conference Board of Canada seeing growth in the province averaging 2.1 per cent in 2027 and 2028.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I now shudder when I see a Canadian flag on a vehicle.  What the pieces of trash have been allowed to do to the Canadian flag is a disgrace to the country.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Me too, my first thought now is to avoid them. 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, it frustrates me, as Heff said I also question those driving around with Canadian flags nowadays 

It's a literal "red flag"....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Maybe not, but probably likely. That thing called Covid is a good part of that deficit.

Covid, immigration, decades of neglected infrastructure... I don't like debt/deficit much either, but this only gets more expensive if we attempt to kick it further down the road like the Liberals<BCUP<Cons did. The hope is that that infrastructure, immigration and hopefully smart business/tech/industry etc growth continues to grow the GDP and balance that out sooner than later. And with some forethought, hopefully that infrastructure works longer term meaning fewer future dollars in the bad column.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The Right-Wing Albertans Behind BC Election Ads

West Coast Proud’s unmasked activities show the need for advertiser transparency, say experts.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2024/10/16/Right-Wing-Albertans-BC-Election-Ads/

It's sad to see BC dumbed down by Alberta nonsense, but this has been coming for a while.

NDP: BC Conservative Jody Toor calls herself ‘medical doctor’ but doesn’t have medical degree

image.thumb.jpeg.0d55b7d4f659495fc296cfeb1a82c623.jpeg

https://voiceonline.com/ndp-bc-conservative-jody-toor-calls-herself-medical-doctor-but-doesnt-have-medical-degree/

The B.C. Conservative Party announced Jody Toor as a candidate last year with a post that called her “Dr. Jody Toor”. As recently as last month, she was introduced as a “physician” at an event with Rustad, and recently claimed that she went to “medical school” in the United States.

The NDP said that Rustad’s B.C. Conservatives appear to be aware of the misleading title that Toor uses and have recently stopped using it in official campaign material. However, she continues to use the titles “Doctor,” “M.D.” and “Chief Medical Officer” professionally – on her business website, and even on her lab coat.

Titles like “Doctor,” “Medical Practitioner,” and “Physician” are protected in BC.

In reality, her education is a doctorate in “integrative medicine” from Hawaii-based Quantum University, an online school that offers “degrees in natural medicine based on the science of quantum physics.”

The NDP pointed out: “Quantum itself makes it clear on their website that they are “NOT ACCREDITED” and “graduates are NOT physicians or naturopaths.””

Are you going to trust candidates like these with your healthcare decisions?

Would it have killed the Cons to have vetted their representatives properly?

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

NDP: BC Conservative Jody Toor calls herself ‘medical doctor’ but doesn’t have medical degree

https://voiceonline.com/ndp-bc-conservative-jody-toor-calls-herself-medical-doctor-but-doesnt-have-medical-degree/

The B.C. Conservative Party announced Jody Toor as a candidate last year with a post that called her “Dr. Jody Toor”. As recently as last month, she was introduced as a “physician” at an event with Rustad, and recently claimed that she went to “medical school” in the United States.

The NDP said that Rustad’s B.C. Conservatives appear to be aware of the misleading title that Toor uses and have recently stopped using it in official campaign material. However, she continues to use the titles “Doctor,” “M.D.” and “Chief Medical Officer” professionally – on her business website, and even on her lab coat.

Titles like “Doctor,” “Medical Practitioner,” and “Physician” are protected in BC.

In reality, her education is a doctorate in “integrative medicine” from Hawaii-based Quantum University, an online school that offers “degrees in natural medicine based on the science of quantum physics.”

The NDP pointed out: “Quantum itself makes it clear on their website that they are “NOT ACCREDITED” and “graduates are NOT physicians or naturopaths.””

Ack. Given our luck, she was probably Canucks team doctor at some point.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

A lot of people go to these folks and associated pharmacists. Lots of expensive pee out there.

56 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Singh is a no show in the BC election campaign

It is common for fed leaders to get involved?

I dont know why but I haven't noticed that before. 

Has PP been pumping Rustads tires?