Finishing touches to deep playoff run (Proposal/Discussion)

Hey ya'll 

With our team pretty much cemented for opening day. I'm sure a lot of us have been thinking about⁹ needs we may need to address for a deep playoff run. We still have 2.6ish in cap space with LTIR for mid season additions. 

Main need : Left shot dman, that is big in stature, physical, can shut down top lines, block shots and move the puck. Hopefully either an Rfa or locked in to long term deal with current team, so that we can secure the left side of our defense long term.

Players

A.Pelech (main choice)

Other options: 

Romanov 

Gavrikov 

Oleksiak

I think with the Caps, Devils, Sabres improving Isles could be in Sell mode towards the Deadline and they are heading in to a really tough summer with Dobson,Romanov and Nelson to resign while also trying to improve offensively. 

I think that could lead them to decide between Pelech or Romanov. Might be able to convince them to eat 500-750K on Pelech if he has a mediocre year.

Van: Pelech 

Isles: Hoglander

Forbort

Kudryavtsev

Poolman 

1st 2026 

They take on Forbort and Poolman to match salaries for the season and get a first for the trouble. 

Another need:  Young Physical Big Bodied winger to help penalty kill. 

I for one am rooting for Podkolzin, but I think this may not work out, but teams will definitely be interested. Deal I think may work for both team is:

Van: Ostapchuk

Ottawa: Podkolzin

I think this is risky, but we get a role player, that can help us in a PWF role on the 4th line, with 3rd line upside for 850K for this and next season.

Lastly, with us trading Hoglander, with Lekkerimaki seasoning down in the Ahl for most of the season, he should be ready just in time for playoffs. 

Lines heading in to playoffs: 

Debrusk Pete Lekkerimaki 

Heinen Miller Boeser 

Joshua Suter Garland 

Ostapchuk Blueger Sherwood

Hughes Hronek 

Pelech Desharnis 

Soucy Myers

Extra: Aman, DiGi, Juulsen 

Demko

Silovs 

Thoughts?

Edited by Toccfather
  • Cheers 1

• Toccfather changed the title to Finishing touches to deep playoff run (Proposal/Discussion)

As you suggested, we are set for camp where there will be competition for spots. Any holes in the lineup will be assessed as the season progresses and filled before the 2025 TDL. This management group, unlike Benning the moran, has created cap space so players can be added. 

• Like 1

I see a huge hole.

More than on D I think we need another really good top 6 forward.

Like usual they'll try 17 different nuts and bolts, but at the end of the day we still don't have 6 legitimate Top 6 players.

We need one more guy who can put up 60 points without being carried by others.

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Debrusk Pettersson Garland

I guess each of those 6 guys could get there, but I would argue only 3 of them are legit, legit Top 6 players.

Hoglander might be if he continues to evolve - too bad we can't morph him and Podz into one person.

Garland probably is, but he's also so great on the third line.

Debrusk might become a legit Top 3 player if he has a 70 point season riding with Miller and Boeser. But to this point, I don't think his numbers scream Top 6.

20 minutes ago, nzan said:

I see a huge hole.

Like usual they'll try 17 different nuts and bolts, but at the end of the day we still don't have 6 legitimate Top 6 players.

Hoglander Miller Boeser

I guess each of those 6 guys could get there, but I would argue only 3 of them are legit, legit Top 6 players.

Hoglander might be if he continues to evolve - too bad we can't morph him and Podz into one person.

Debrusk might become a legit Top 3 player if he has a 70 point season riding with Miller and Boeser. But to this point, I don't think his numbers scream Top 6.

In season moves, we should all remember this sort of thing.. the rosters aren't written in stone. To a degree I like the wait and see... You see who falls, who rises and are able to work with more information.

5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

In season moves, we should all remember this sort of thing.. the rosters aren't written in stone. To a degree I like the wait and see... You see who falls, who rises and are able to work with more information.

Fair enough, but I'd be game for packaging up a really good offer for somebody that could step in and crush it right away - like if there were another Debrusk with just a touch more production.

2 hours ago, nzan said:

I see a huge hole.

Hoglander Miller Boeser

I don't tend to agree. I think Debrusk will easily average between 55-70 points a season during the duration of this contract. 

I think with some seasoning we have our diamond in the prospect pool with Lekkerimaki. Not to mention Heinen consistently scores 30-40 points a season.

Replacing Zadorov and improving on that should be priority. As well as getting a young pwf/penalty killer, who can be agitating and chip in with the odd goal. 

Pelech

Ostapchuk 

Lekkermaki 

Could be great adds throughout the season. 

• Cheers 1

Pelech - Willander would be a very good defensive pairing. 

Hughes - Hronek

Pelech - Willander

Soucy - Myers

I just don't like the idea of trading Hoglander. 

12 hours ago, Toccfather said:

I don't tend to agree. I think Debrusk will easily average between 55-70 points a season during the duration of this contract. 

I think with some seasoning we have our diamond in the prospect pool with Lekkerimaki. Not to mention Heinen consistently scores 30-40 points a season.

Replacing Zadorov and improving on that should be priority. As well as getting a young pwf/penalty killer, who can be agitating and chip in with the odd goal. 

Pelech

Ostapchuk 

Lekkermaki 

Could be great adds throughout the season. 

Sounds like you agree exactly!

We both know Debrusk is a long shot to average 55-70 since he's never got more than 50 - but I tend to agree.

So that's the 4th of our Top 6 players.

Heinen at 30-40 (also stretching but OK) is a great guy for a 3rd line - and as an add-on in our Top 6 maybe, but certainly not a legitimate Top 6 player.

And Lekkerimaki is probably a legit Top 6 within 2-3 years if everything goes right. And Garland can be a Top 6, and Hoglander can be a Top 6 - but they probably can't both be at the same time.  

So as usual we have a surplus of quality players that can produce at a 3rd line level, but we need one more properly legit Top 6 forward.

Or the more likely outlook is we'll try to fill that need like we usually do, and still wonder why we're spluttering and misfiring a little bit.

I don't think our top-6 is much different than the 2011 top 6.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson 

Heinen-Miller-Boeser (2 true top 6 forwards with a complimentary player)

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk (Star 2-way center with 2 capable finishers)

Kesler's faceoffs (and RHC) is a big advantage, but I think Debrusk is grittier and better than the 2 wingers from 2011.

If we add another "top 6" threat, it would be even better than 2011 (especially since Samuelsson missed most of the playoffs).

Higgins and Lapierre were able to move up and down the line up, and I think Heinen will play that role too (especially if we pick up another forward at the deadline).

I'm curious to see how the bottom 6 plays out, as that's where we need some more offense to come from (2011 had a very good defensive center, but that line put up a solid amount of goals and points).

Defense is still our weak spot. 2011 Had like 8 quality d-men  (Alberts, Rome as spares, and Ballard playing 3rd pair) and a solid 2nd pairing. CUrrently, we have a great top pairing and elite #1 d-man, but a weaker 2nd pairing (unless they split Hronek and Hughes up).

I think we're actually decently close to where we should be for the playoffs.

On 7/19/2024 at 9:33 AM, c00kies said:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kesler's faceoffs (and RHC) is a big advantage, but I think Debrusk is grittier and better than the 2 wingers from 2011.

If we add another "top 6" threat, it would be even better than 2011 (especially since Samuelsson missed most of the playoffs).

Higgins and Lapierre were able to move up and down the line up, and I think Heinen will play that role too (especially if we pick up another forward at the deadline).

I'm curious to see how the bottom 6 plays out, as that's where we need some more offense to come from (2011 had a very good defensive center, but that line put up a solid amount of goals and points).

Defense is still our weak spot. 2011 Had like 8 quality d-men  (Alberts, Rome as spares, and Ballard playing 3rd pair) and a solid 2nd pairing. CUrrently, we have a great top pairing and elite #1 d-man, but a weaker 2nd pairing (unless they split Hronek and Hughes up).

I think with one more big move we are on the verge of one of the best dcorps in the league. That's why I suggested Pelech, Romanov, Gavrikov, Oleksiak. We need a player to lock the left side down for a few seasons. Next year, if we're lucky Willander is ready to go or Desharnis surprises us and takes another step learning from Foote/Gonchar. 

We are close, so I expect Alvin & Rutherford to remain aggressive. 

2 hours ago, snowman955 said:

I think differently, remain status quo. Then deal with what we need,if anything. Trade nothing,move nothing. Just my take.

Also on the hang tight for now.  Would be nice to accrue some cap space.   And have options.   

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 12:33 PM, c00kies said:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Actually like our current forward group more.   

Pretty sure we scored as much as they did last year too, or pretty close to it.   Should be able to add a few more goals next year.    And all responsible away from the puck.     D yes, we need another 4/5 type. 

My concerns are we need EP to be EP, and still find a Zadarov type.   Then maybe that would mitigate no Lindholm.   I think Allvin is going to have a tough time making the team better than we had last playoffs.   Demko and we beat EDM, sure of it.     We are close,  do think we could use another center.   And a 4/5 D is almost a must have.    Expecting we will trade Podz or Hogs for something this year, we don't have room for both really anyways. 

They've done a good job working the edges.   And adding Hronek.   Next up, what to do with Brock? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

If we're targeting a physical LD that can play shutdown minutes, I actually have another suggestion. Nicolas Hague.

Vegas is currently over the cap and will likely need to make a move in training camp to be cap compliant for the start of the season. Vegas has also shown a willingness to use LTIR to get cap compliant. Hague is pretty much a better Soucy; 6'6" 240lbs, good on the PK, and likes to hit. Last season he also averaged 1 minute more of ice time than Soucy and at 25 still has the potential to improve further.

While Pelech might be better than Hague at the moment, Hague will also be cheaper to acquire. We likely wouldn't have to trade any picks and just Höglander + Poolman could get it done (or we just move Poolman to LTIR ourselves).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

If we're targeting a physical LD that can play shutdown minutes, I actually have another suggestion. Nicolas Hague.

Vegas is currently over the cap and will likely need to make a move in training camp to be cap compliant for the start of the season. Vegas has also shown a willingness to use LTIR to get cap compliant. Hague is pretty much a better Soucy; 6'6" 240lbs, good on the PK, and likes to hit. Last season he also averaged 1 minute more of ice time than Soucy and at 25 still has the potential to improve further.

While Pelech might be better than Hague at the moment, Hague will also be cheaper to acquire. We likely wouldn't have to trade any picks and just Höglander + Poolman could get it done (or we just move Poolman to LTIR ourselves).

Nic Hague the BPA and Positional need that lined up but Benning was the only guy talking about Kole Lind. Drafting sorrows aside yes I’d love getting Nic Hague!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, snowman955 said:

I think differently, remain status quo. Then deal with what we need,if anything. Trade nothing,move nothing. Just my take.

Oh I agree for right now, gives management time to evaluate. Saying, that I stick with my initial thoughts in needing a puckmoving Shutdown lhd. Adam Pelech. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Don't disagree, still would want Pelech though. Just, because I feel we're close to a team worthy of a cup final. Rather have a sure thing. 

• Cheers 1

Personally feel that the "finishing touches" will largely depend on injuries and accrued cap space.    Team doesn't have the depth to afford an injury to Miller, EP, QHs,Hronek and likely Demko (who's going to back up for Silovs and well, how many games can he play in relief ... i'd put my money on as many as needed, but he's still going to need a day off now and again).  

We have plenty of wingers to spare.   

As many have suggested, we need another top four D.      

And, just like last year, we don't have a quality 3C, as in a guy who can move up as needed.    Back in the Sedin era, if Kesler went down we had Maholtra.   And then we had Sutter.    Suter isn't Sutter.    

That's all we need.   The rest is situational,  and will depend on how the regular season goes, anticipated match ups and what teams are selling.   

This is a playoff roster as is.   And Allvin sees it that way as well, virtually every single move made this off season, signing, was with the post season in mind.   Sherwood, Forbot, Desharnais, Joshua, Hronek ...  And even Sprong.   Not for top six, think more for the post season and we are down a goal sort of thing.    How to get more from the roster.

Is this roster better than the one we started with last season?   Yes.   Not so much for the warm up, regular season, for the real season.   And since this is about cup pursuit,  pretty sure, on paper anyways, that Allvin will accrue cap space, and trade one of Hogs or Podz and something else to add the finishing touches.  

On paper, a 3C or top 4D. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rypien-Punch said:

If Podkolzin pushes for a spot on this lineup maybe we could trade Boeser for that second pairing RD that we need. Possibly John Marino 

Honestly I'd be happy if Pods got 10 goals and 20 points at this stage.

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Honestly I'd be happy if Pods got 10 goals and 20 points at this stage.

If he’s in the line up all year, Pods will get more then 20 points. Hopefully he shows up to camp with a fire and forces his way into a lineup that seems to be squeezing him out.

• Cheers 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:14 AM, IBatch said:

Personally feel that the "finishing touches" will largely depend on injuries and accrued cap space.    Team doesn't have the depth to afford an injury to Miller, EP, QHs,Hronek and likely Demko (who's going to back up for Silovs and well, how many games can he play in relief ... i'd put my money on as many as needed, but he's still going to need a day off now and again).  

We have plenty of wingers to spare.   

As many have suggested, we need another top four D.      

And, just like last year, we don't have a quality 3C, as in a guy who can move up as needed.    Back in the Sedin era, if Kesler went down we had Maholtra.   And then we had Sutter.    Suter isn't Sutter.    

That's all we need.   The rest is situational,  and will depend on how the regular season goes, anticipated match ups and what teams are selling.   

This is a playoff roster as is.   And Allvin sees it that way as well, virtually every single move made this off season, signing, was with the post season in mind.   Sherwood, Forbot, Desharnais, Joshua, Hronek ...  And even Sprong.   Not for top six, think more for the post season and we are down a goal sort of thing.    How to get more from the roster.

Is this roster better than the one we started with last season?   Yes.   Not so much for the warm up, regular season, for the real season.   And since this is about cup pursuit,  pretty sure, on paper anyways, that Allvin will accrue cap space, and trade one of Hogs or Podz and something else to add the finishing touches.  

On paper, a 3C or top 4D. 

I think it will depend on who emerges, who develops, and who re-gresses. Injuries of course will have the biggest impact.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1