Are the Canucks better or worse since free agency TSN Weighs in

Shekky

I don't need TSN to tell me nothin'..But thanks for the post.

Some posters here have better perspectives that actually watch the games yr round and I would put more stock in..while those dinks are passed out and now need a quick buck for views.

In conclusion I think we have become harder to play on the forward position, Much more pesky , Status quo on the D..Would like to add a piece ..didn't lose much in terms of SZ..If anything gained and finally with a healthy Demmer and Silvs showcasing his talents I think were are going to be much better and harder to play against this season. Lots of added parts for a full year to build around plus a full training camp.

Edited by Canuck You
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Im really happy with how the team looks this off season.  

New guys will add some hunger and more energy to the line up.  

I trust in the returning players to prove last year was no fluke

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I'll hold back on my judgement until I actually see how the players chemistry plays out.

You can have the best players in the world playing together but if their chemistry is off their skill won't matter. 

EG:

There was a site that had picked Crosbly - McDavid - MacKInnon as team Canada's top line for the next Olympics.

That may look good, but who's gonna go to the corners to GET the puck? 

How do their EGOs pair together? 

• Like 1

I'm actually more concerned for the remaining folks at TSN. The NHL contract with Sportsnet is expiring soon. And Bell doesn't seem to want to put in any effort to get NHL games back (Probably Toronto and Montreal they still want).

Sportsnet doesn't seem to think the money they paid was worth it, at least what I'm gathering. So I wonder whats going to happen?

• Upvote 1

On paper their additions have been pretty savvy given their limited cap space, they should be a frustrating team to play, but the game isn't played on paper so we'll have to wait and see. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

Depends if Debrusk can be a 30g 60-70 pt player for us. If he can that helps, Keeping Myers on a 3yr deal was a big mistake. Wish Tocchet was so strong headed about left D on left side only otherwise Zadorov would have been great to keep as a top 4 D with Hronek or Soucy.

We lost a very good C in Lindholm, but again Canucks misused him and overpaid for what was a #3C so that hurts also. Need a savvy trade for a good rhd like R.Andersson or someone to bump Myers to bottomr pair permanently then LTIR hopefully sooner than later

1 minute ago, Viking said:

Depends if Debrusk can be a 30g 60-70 pt player for us. If he can that helps, Keeping Myers on a 3yr deal was a big mistake. Wish Tocchet was so strong headed about left D on left side only otherwise Zadorov would have been great to keep as a top 4 D with Hronek or Soucy.

We lost a very good C in Lindholm, but again Canucks misused him and overpaid for what was a #3C so that hurts also. Need a savvy trade for a good rhd like R.Andersson or someone to bump Myers to bottomr pair permanently then LTIR hopefully sooner than later

Frankly I'd settle for another competent defenseman regardless on which side he prefers.  Sure it's ideal (and the coaches prefer it) to have matched pairings but I'd take a two decent left side defensemen on one pairing over a good left side defenseman & turnover machine right side D.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm actually more concerned for the remaining folks at TSN. The NHL contract with Sportsnet is expiring soon. And Bell doesn't seem to want to put in any effort to get NHL games back (Probably Toronto and Montreal they still want).

Sportsnet doesn't seem to think the money they paid was worth it, at least what I'm gathering. So I wonder whats going to happen?

Look for a big streaming service to take over the rights in Canada.

Apple or Amazon. That will be the future of sports consumption.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Look for a big streaming service to take over the rights in Canada.

Apple or Amazon. That will be the future of sports consumption.

that would be okay with me as long as its Not Apple, Canucks are main reason we have cable still...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

that would be okay with me as long as its Not Apple, Canucks are main reason we have cable still...

Amazon is doing that NHL series where they follow the players around.

Maybe that’s them getting their foot in the door for NHL coverage.

They could easily outbid any Canadian sports network that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

We addressed certain holes in the lineup that we recognized last year. We also addressed the need for more offence.

DeBrusk adds offence and forechecking, Heinen adds depth scoring, forechecking and more reliability, Sherwood adds physicality, agitation, forecheck and offence while Forbort adds experience and Desharnais helps on the PK and maintains size on the blueline. And having Desharnais' size to start the season somewhat offsets the loss of Zad's size. 

Add Silovs into the role of backup and we have an even better duo in net. 

We do need to see what our D looks like and what we have. Allvin won't be sitting on his hands. He'll be active again to bolster our blueline. 

I think we're a better team upfront and in net with our D still a work in progress. 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Canucks now have a 3rd pair D that together make less than Zadorov’s previous contract. Let alone his current one.   And 400 k more than what Cole signed in Utah for. 

The trade-off is one of the deepest forward rosters in the league. Keeping that elite 3rd line together.

What we lack in the d’s ability to carry the puck up the ice, we’ve perhaps mitigated by adding 3 great forecheckers in DeBrusk, Sherwood and Heinen (plus keeping Joshua) for when we dump it in. 

And that cap flexibility is likely earmarked for an in-season D upgrade.  Drance mentioned usual dance partners in Calgary: Andersson but maybe even Weegar.  Or Adam Larsson out of Seattle assuming both teams struggle this year.

Adding Anderson or Larsen at the 2025 TDL would be dynamite. IMHAO we will add a right shot, defensive centre too. 

• Cheers 1

If the team's best player plays like a +11m guy, the team will be a better offensively than last year.

They have more 2-way forwards and will be tougher to play against.  With Silovs added as the

backup, Demko will have fewer games, so he will be well rested for the P/Os.

I don't think the management is finished their tweaking yet.  We may also see a surprise

or two out of training camp.

My bet is that they will make a splash at TDL, just as they did last season.

• Like 1

I'd probably agree with Farhan's take here. Hard to say if we'll be better or worse, but very likely more efficient seeing as we weren't baited into long risky contracts like with Lindholm or Zadorov, though admittedly, we did take on some risk with Hronek and DeBrusk, but I think those risks are a bit less extreme.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My guess is TSN and Sportsnet will make a joint bid to each get their share of games.  Like the NFL with CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN and Prime now.    The NHL had the leverage last time because they pinned TSN and SN against each other.  This time they can't be too greedy, as I don't think they can afford to have both of them say "No thanks" we don't want it at that price and there are no other networks that would have the cash to swoop in and steal that coverage.  And the NHL can't afford to not have coverage by canadian networks either.  I think the only cards the NHL can play is who gets the exclusivity for the playoffs game and ask for a premium for that.

IMO the only place where there might be a bidding war would be for Montreal, where local network RDS and TVASports could battle it out for the French rights to Canadiens' game, which is a lucrative deal to have I think for the networks.

Edited by timberz21
  • Cheers 1

It's definitely a better overall roster than what we started with last year, I think anyone can agree with that. If we can find a way to add one more top four defenseman or top six forward we're absolutely cooking. 

• Like 1

Compared to the start last season I'd say yes, DeBrusk is a legitimate scorer we didn't have before. Sherwood is an upgrade on Lafferty (who was a good pickup at the time) and I think Heinen is a real underrated utility player. We won't be able to replace what we had in Lindholm, that's a definite hole as far as his faceoffs/two way play but we did add legit top 9 bodies.

Without Zadorov we are worse off on the back end, not that we saw Zadorov's best consistently until the playoffs but he was atleast a guy who could play #4 mins & made us tougher to play against. I'm not sold on Deharnais as more than a #6D but we'll see what he can do. Hopefully they can add a Dman at some point still. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

It's definitely a better overall roster than what we started with last year, I think anyone can agree with that. If we can find a way to add one more top four defenseman or top six forward we're absolutely cooking. 

PA and Rutherford seem to be really good at addressing a need in the middle of the season like with the Zadorov trade

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shekky said:

PA and Rutherford seem to be really good at addressing a need in the middle of the season like with the Zadorov trade

That too. That's where I think if we can get rid of Poolman's contract and send two of PDG/Åman/Friedman down we could have enough for a $5 million+ player after the 41st game with accrued cap space. I do think we'll make a move for another player before the season though. 

• Like 1