Are the Canucks better or worse since free agency TSN Weighs in

Shekky

13 hours ago, stawns said:

An amateur hour that built the core of the current team

Oh man 

built a core by being an incompetent idiot and icing a crap team for EIGHT YEARS

it would be hard to not draft and acquire 4 or 5 good players in that time I highly doubt anyone that’s alive could do worse that includes newborns. 

so chiarelli  was a good gm for Edmonton he drafted mcdavid he should get credit for the oilers success after finishing low enough to win a lottery… 

How much did this “core” win with Gm idiot Benning

easy to get key pieces  and draft picks when you always at the bottom

tough to build a competitive winning team

Benning did the easy part  and he didn’t even do a good job of that. 

Honest question.

If the Canucks problem all year was Petey not having a consistent winger to play with why did the Canucks trade for Lindholm? Was it because they feared Petey wouldn't sign long term with the Canucks and Lindholm was their plan B If things went sideways?  Because that's the only reason that makes sense.  Would Petey have played better down the stretch and in the playoffs if he wasn't deployed as a 3rd line centre?  The only thing that made sense is if the Canucks had traded for a winger for Petey last year.   And the big question is, by playing games with negotiations did Petey handcuff Alvin from putting the best team on the ice in preparation for the playoffs?  Hmm 🤔 

Canucks trade for Lindholm in February

Canucks sign Petey 8 year deal in March

Does Petey understand that his negotiation games  may have cost the Canucks an opportunity to win the cup?  He didn't want to show all his cards. 1:48

Edited by Pure961089

On 8/13/2024 at 8:24 PM, stawns said:

An amateur hour that built the core of the current team

Dude they went all in the entire time and ended up with 5 top 10 picks, 2 of which were complete busts, and one that is still trying to break into the league in his D+5.

A broken clock is right twice a day, and it took Detroit passing up on a generational talent, and Benning getting yelled at to pick EP. Let's not give him too much credit...

The Canucks are deeper up front and in net but their defense is concerning even at full health.

-Myers is not a #4 calibre d-man.

-Even with injuries, none of Forbort, Desharnais, or Juulsen should be in your Top 4.

-Given the way things currently are, the Canucks are one injury on D from being in very serious trouble.  

Hopefully, Alvin has a few more tricks up his sleave before opening night.  We have a logjam up front now and so I think we'll see something coming up.

The experts did not predict the Canuck success last year but we will? Ever the Canuck fan of course I think they will be better. Demko gets a healthy season in and Silvos plays 30 games. On the d-side RT splits Hughes and Hronek and we get 2 balanced pairings. The PK shines. On the ozone side Petey gets two line mates who score regularly. No Mik repeat. I assume Miller's line just screams on. Joshua-Bluegar-Garland can keep up their game. One can argue that Joshua has reached a higher level and might challenge for a top 6 spot. Of the new signs it is DeBrusk who really gets me excited. If he plays with Petey he could hit 40 goals. A high scoring 2nd line that compliments Miller's line does what for the Canuck season? It insulates the Corolla line to a degree and takes pressure off the d-core. A less pressured d-core lets Gonchar and Foote work on the d-side game without panic dominating the need. 

Does this mean the Canucks get the great start they had last year? That would be a tall order. The Oilers floundered much of last fall and when they recovered almost caught the Canucks for #1. I actually think it will be better for a more competitive run if there is better compete. What hasn't been mentioned is the maturing of the team after their playoffs last year. The core will be stronger and we can hope the adds come thru. If nothing else we now realize that NHL players want to play in Vancouver. Players realize that the Canucks are contenders. 

7 hours ago, Petri Skriko said:

The Canucks are deeper up front and in net but their defense is concerning even at full health.

-Myers is not a #4 calibre d-man.

-Even with injuries, none of Forbort, Desharnais, or Juulsen should be in your Top 4.

-Given the way things currently are, the Canucks are one injury on D from being in very serious trouble.  

Hopefully, Alvin has a few more tricks up his sleave before opening night.  We have a logjam up front now and so I think we'll see something coming up.

Brisebois being healthy helps our depth quite a lot. People easily forget (and I'm part of those people), that he was practically a shoe-in for a roster spot last year, but got dealt a nasty hand of injuries. 

It's not as bleak as it looks. 

They're far better than the team that started last year. (Beauviller, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev)

And better all-round than the team that ended last year (Petey as a 3rd line centre and signing Lindholm complicated the lines. In hindsight it was a a bad idea) 

This year Allvin has brought in Tocchet type players and Tocch won't have to constantly fight anyone to play his system like he did with Kuzmenko and to a lesser degree Hoglander (who has improved greatly both ends of the ice).  We have players that are used to playing a structured system.  And we have the deepest team arguably in the NHL.  

My fantasy lineup is

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki 

Sherwood - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Heinen - Joshua

Hoglander - Suter - Sprong 

Hughes - Desharnais 

D- Petey - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Demko - Silovs

On 7/17/2024 at 11:29 PM, Shekky said:

With all these guys that seem like Tocchet type of players it could be a more aggressive annoying team to play against. No mention of Keifer Sherwood or Danton Heinen in the video. I think the forward group is a lot more annoying to play against and the division is really going to hate playing the Canucks this year. I agree with Farhan that Vancouver is a lot more efficient with its lineup. Looking forward to seeing what Foote and Gonchar can do with the new guys on defense.

You can tell these guys don't follow the Canucks.  Petey didn't have anyone to play with, Kuzmenko showed up to camp in beer league condition and Mikheyev couldn't score to save his life. He had starts with Beauviller and Lafferty as well.  Petey has a far more deeper pool of wingers to draw from this year. But these guys don't know that. 

Once Tocchet sees D-Petey in training camp and preseason, his size, his speed and physical aggression he's not gonna want to let that 6'4 210lbs beast of a speciman go.  D-Petey, Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar are a match made in Tocchet's heaven.  

Edited by Pure961089

Yeah I feel pretty good about the team with the moves they've made.  Was hard losing some of the players (mainly Zadorov for his size and grit) but seeing the contracts they signed, I'm okay with moving on from them.   New players look like they should fit well with Tocchet's system. 

It's always positive when it seems like the head coach and GM are working together to find the right players cause that's not always the case.  How many times have we seen a GM or manager sign a player that THEY really wanted but very clearly doesn't work with what the coach wants or expects.  Happens in every sport it seems.