Are the Canucks better or worse since free agency TSN Weighs in

Shekky

I'd say we are, or will be, slightly better. If this is the case, that should mean another crack at the playoffs. He can be a bit of a wild card at times, but

I'm guessing Pettersson may have his best year as a Canuck, or close. Miller seems to just get better with age, and we'll take that! Boes will be great

and with the addition of DeBrusk, 

We know what we got, we saw last year how close we came.

Then I see this supposedly list, and we weren't even on it. Spew us some more Bull S*hit, it's good for a chuckle.. 😝

• Cheers 1

I honestly could see a scenario where the Canucks are not as good as they were last year during the regular season due to teams taking them a lot more seriously than they did last year as well as just not being able to quite repeat the super dominance that they did in the first half of last year. BUT being a better playoff team due to the core having experience in regular playoffs under their belts now and having more balanced and consistent scoring from the additions of Sherwood, Debrusk and Heinen. I think Debrusk is going to especially improve the team since either Pettersson or Miller will be a much better offensive center to play with than he ever had in Boston. 

Hey, Mikheyev is gone. They've got to be better.

Lindholm was good in the playoffs and at faceoffs, but that's it. He sucked during the regular season. Lafferty is no loss and we now know he's useless in the playoffs. DeSmith is replaceable by a better Silovs. Too bad to lose Zadorov, and that's all I'll say about that. 

Canucks brought in Heinen, Sherwood, DeBrusk, Desharnais and Forbort. Tough, gritty, pains in the asses. 

Canucks are better

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

We are better than we were at the start of the season (on paper at least) but not as good as we were at the end of last season (on paper).

We should be good enough to stay in the top 10 teams all season and possibly even a top 5. Overall, we should be able to keep the Presidents trophy of first overall in sights all season, but I'm not worried about winning that. Not many teams that finish first overall do well in the playoffs.

The fact this is a debate, says a lot. And its good. We all knew there were going to big changes, and this team will look a lot different next year. 

The fear was who will we loose, and how will we get that back. 

Our management has been hands down the busiest of any club, the past few years. They got us from the outhouse to the penthouse in record time. 

Now after all this off season movement, not only did they get us out of the black, we may even be better. 

This is a management team that were not used to, or ever had, but folks we finally got it! (no disrespect to Mr. Quinn). He did more for the organization, than all previous executives combined. 

Anyway...We quickly became a contender, and what could have been a disastrous off season, we are still a contender, and possible better.

Cant wait to see what else this management team does to finally get us that cup. 

2023 season opening lineup. 8-1 blowout vs edm

image.thumb.png.4b68d0d82ce1d27c2c5e4aa81a0a9799.png

Our roster today 

Heinen Miller Brock

Debrusk Pete Hogz

Dak Blueger Garland

PDG/Pod Suter Sherwood

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Descharnais 

Juules 

I would say we are a much better team today on paper. Though I don't think swapping Zadz for Forbort Descharnais is a push. It's like saying 1 Jovocop is worth 2 Andrew Alberts.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

If the team's best player plays like a +11m guy, the team will be a better offensively than last year.

They have more 2-way forwards and will be tougher to play against.  

I think Petie will have a similar year. But still get the tough defensive match ups. But I think that team toughness and grit AROUND him help him a lot. If all the lines are agitating and hard checking then Petie might not feel it so inclined to be a hitter, I think him trying to hit so much took away from his offensive side. As well as causing bumps and bruises that slowed him down. 

If he sees team toughness across the board ge can ease up on playing like Sandlak and start playing like the Sedin's again. Using his creativity more.

I think Gonchar needs to help Podz with his mental game. Podz needs to be taught how to play pro hockey, he has all the tools. But he needs a mentor. And I think having a country man explain things in detail for him will help him gain that competitive insight he needs. He needs more focus on keeping things simple and taking advantage of each offensive opportunity. 

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Petie will have a similar year. But still get the tough defensive match ups. But I think that team toughness and grit AROUND him help him a lot. If all the lines are agitating and hard checking then Petie might not feel it so inclined to be a hitter, I think him trying to hit so much took away from his offensive side. As well as causing bumps and bruises that slowed him down. 

If he sees team toughness across the board ge can ease up on playing like Sandlak and start playing like the Sedin's again. Using his creativity more.

I disagree. If you go back and look at the stats. The games where Pete registered multipul hits vs the games he had 1 or none hits. The games he was hitting he produced at a much higher rate. 

I think Pete has some fire in his belly as much as a Gen Z E boy can muster anyway. I like Pete better with edge to his game. Youre right on the rest though. I like Pete hitting as a part of the ship part of the crew mentality. I like it a lot less when he's doing it because he feels he needs to be the spark, instead of when he's just joining in on the hit parade to maintain the team intensity across the lineup. 

The thing I like most about the re-signings are, we didn't commit money to a guy whose performance is likely to decline, at least in the short term.

As great as Zadorov was in the playoffs, that was the best stretch of hockey in his 12-season, 600+ game career, and he's 29. What is more likely? That he'll continue at this elevated pace? Or that he'll revert to the guy that Calgary could only get a 3rd for last season? (without retaining on his significantly lower salary). 

Lindholm was also great in the playoffs, but his performance has been on a downward trend for a few years. That contract might look tough very early into next season, and could be downright brutal in just a few years. I'm glad Vancouver let him walk.

On the flipside, you can make a case that guys like Joshua, Desharnais, and Sherwood are just starting to find their game, and very well have more to give. And a guy like Debrusk may have been held back by a coach with a feud, followed by having no centers to play with. Management seems to think a fresh start with a bonafide top center will elevate his game.

This is great because it's not just about next season. The 2025-26 season might be our best shot to win with this core. All of the Western contenders are primed to take a big step backwards. Draisaitl and Bouchard's contracts are up at the end of next season, at least 1 will have to go, or their depth will have to be gutted. Colorado is in the same spot with Rantanen. Dallas has Oettinger & Johnston up. Vegas will be a year older, and will probably lose Theodore.

Canucks only have to deal with Boeser, but they'll also have Poolman's LTIR off the books. And 2025-26 is likely when our top 2 prospects - Lekk & Willander - will start making an NHL impact. We should be primed to take a step forward while most of the pack is going back. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Gonchar needs to help Podz with his mental game. Podz needs to be taught how to play pro hockey, he has all the tools. But he needs a mentor. And I think having a country man explain things in detail for him will help him gain that competitive insight he needs. He needs more focus on keeping things simple and taking advantage of each offensive opportunity. 

I think the more he hears and understands can't hurt, but I also think his english is good enough to have head from Abbotsford and Canuck coaches as well 😉

7 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I think the more he hears and understands can't hurt, but I also think his english is good enough to have head from Abbotsford and Canuck coaches as well 😉

I hope they put him with Miller this year, give the kid a real mentor to play with. That will make all the difference imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I disagree. If you go back and look at the stats. The games where Pete registered multipul hits vs the games he had 1 or none hits. The games he was hitting he produced at a much higher rate. 

I think Pete has some fire in his belly as much as a Gen Z E boy can muster anyway. I like Pete better with edge to his game. Youre right on the rest though. I like Pete hitting as a part of the ship part of the crew mentality. I like it a lot less when he's doing it because he feels he needs to be the spark, instead of when he's just joining in on the hit parade to maintain the team intensity across the lineup. 

Yeah I guess there were some games where I felt he was looking to throw hits for the sake of throwing a big hit. Trying to spark the team. The odd hit is good for him to show his maturity.  But I think now he can join in on the hits rather than trying to instigate something.  Therefore using his smarts more than his brawn. Plus I hope he puts on 10 lbs to protect himself. 

• Like 1

Our floor is higher with debrusk, dantonto , Sherwood and Joshua is a year more developed, garland is more comfortable, Suter will be playing for a contract as Will hogz 

our team is better this time now than last season and as mentioned we have more cap flex

you never know who will be available- ex who saw CGY tanking ? Nucks interestingly inquired about Lindy last summer so their pro scouts are on it 

Canucks management are smart and aggressive 

great combo 

we are in good shape 

• Like 1

We're same, if not a little better, to start the year than last year IMO. We were leading the Pacific before even adding Zadarov and Lindholm.

Out

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Cole

Lafferty

Beauvillier

Desmith

In

Debrusk

Heinan

Sherwood

Forbort

Desharnais

Silovs

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Weaker down the middle, stronger on the wing. Better in net I would like to think, a bit weaker on the blue line. As much as I loved Zadorov and wanted to keep him, I kinda feel Cole was the bigger loss. He logged some of the toughest minutes/matchups and if it wasn’t for a broken finger, I don’t think there would have been so many turnovers in that Edmonton series that were game/series changing. He had more bad luck than he was an actual liability. Cole was Schenn 3.0.

28%oZS and 40+ CORSI…. That’s fucking insane.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 7/18/2024 at 2:18 PM, Pears said:

That too. That's where I think if we can get rid of Poolman's contract and send two of PDG/Åman/Friedman down we could have enough for a $5 million+ player after the 41st game with accrued cap space. I do think we'll make a move for another player before the season though. 

I think, ideally, we'd move Poolman this offseason and let the cap space accrue long enough to add one top 6 forward AND a top 4 dman. My wishlist is Konecny or Vatrano up front and Rasmus Anderson or Adam Larsson on D.

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

EP can't help it.  His favourite all-time player is Forsberg. 😉

Actually…. Now that I’m looking deeper into Forbort, he’s a lateral Cole replacement at worst. 
19.7%oZS in all situations 38.9% CORSI. That’s a significant difference.

5v5 

28%oZS

44.9% CORSI

17oiGA

.924oiSV%

Throws more hits than Cole and roughly the same amount of blocked shots. 

I retract my statement prior…Our blue line is deeper and slightly stronger, not slightly weaker

Edit: @Provostheres that little dive into Forborts stats I mentioned

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 8:51 PM, AnthonyG said:

Actually…. Now that I’m looking deeper into Forbort, he’s a lateral Cole replacement at worst. 
19.7%oZS in all situations 38.9% CORSI. That’s a significant difference.

5v5 

28%oZS

44.9% CORSI

17oiGA

.924oiSV%

Throws more hits than Cole and roughly the same amount of blocked shots. 

I retract my statement prior…Our blue line is deeper and slightly stronger, not slightly weaker

In addition to being much bigger more intimidating to play against -- a clear upgrade IMO.

Grading the roster changes compared to last season, IMO

Forwards: A

Out: Lindholm, Mikheyev and Lafferty

In: DeBrusk. Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood

Defense: D

Out: Zadorov, Cole

In: Forbort, Desharnais

Goaltending: B

Out: DeSmith

In: Silovs

I like these non Canuck assessment

Daniel Sprong: What to Expect From Canucks’ Newest Signing - The Hockey Writers - Vancouver Canucks - NHL News, Analysis & More

Daniel Sprong: What to Expect From Canucks’ Newest Signing (msn.com)

The Vancouver Canucks have had a great offseason. They lost both Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov to the Boston Bruins but responded by locking up Jake DeBrusk to a long-term contract, bringing in Vincent Desharnais, and signing several depth players to fill out what they lost. They have easily improved from last season and their fans should be excited for what’s to come in the 2024-25 campaign. With most teams settling down from the free agent market and trading or focusing on the upcoming season with what they have, the Canucks went out and made another depth signing that may go down as one of the biggest steals of the offseason. The team went out and signed forward Daniel Sprong to a one-year contract worth $975,000, and he adds a solid presence to the Canucks’ bottom-six for a steal of a deal.

The Canucks were eliminated by the Edmonton Oilers in the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs last season, but they were able to take the series to seven games and almost take down the eventual Western Conference champions. After their playoff exit, they clearly had a goal in mind to come back stronger and make a deeper run with a better team. While they’re lined up to do just that, the Sprong signing may fly under the radar as one of the best signings this offseason. He is a strong offensive forward who can fill any role in their lineup if needed. While his defensive play may need work, he still provides strength in the sense that the Canucks will now have some more flexibility with their forward lines.

Sprong’s Offensive Production Creates Scary Canucks Depth

Last season, a lot of fans and analysts around the league had chalked up the Canucks as the team to beat in the West, and it was clear why as they dominated the regular season and went into the playoffs as favourites for the majority of their series. While the Oilers did defeat them, it was obvious they didn’t have problems between the pipes or any issues with their defensive depth, but rather a lack of offensive production from their bottom-six at times causing the team to collapse in Game 7. While they fought back and almost took Game 7 to overtime, the Oilers shut it down and snuck away with a victory. Adding Sprong, who is a proven point producer wherever he goes, should make that problem go away completely. 

The Canucks were eliminated by the Edmonton Oilers in the second round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs last season, but they were able to take the series With elite forwards like Elias Pettersson, J.T. Miller, and Brock Boeser up front to take the responsibility for most of the offensive production, it will be a change of pace for the team to be able to rely on their depth players to provide scoring on a consistent basis. Sprong had 43 points through 76 games with the Detroit Red Wings last season and played a complex role where he fluctuated throughout their lineup and played where he was needed. Despite moving around and playing the majority of his time as a depth player, he still had a great offensive season. 

With the Canucks, it’s safe to assume Sprong will start the season on their fourth line alongside Vasily Podkolzin and Pius Suter. Sprong is easily a middle-six forward in the NHL, but the Canucks’ forward depth pushes him down to the fourth line to start the season in my books. Despite that, he should still be able to create offensive production alongside a developing youngster in Podkolzin and an underrated two-way forward in Suter. At the end of the day, Canucks fans should be ecstatic about bringing in Sprong, and they should be excited about what’s to come in the 2024-25 campaign. 

Aday after it was reported that the Canucks had an interest in free agent winger Daniel Sprong, they have indeed agreed to terms with him.  PuckPedia reports that the two sides have agreed to a one-year, $975K contract.

The 27-year-old has bounced around throughout his eight-year NHL career, having played for five teams already, with Vancouver set to be his sixth

After putting up limited numbers in his first three stops spanning six seasons, Sprong had a breakout year in his second year with Seattle in 2022-23, one that saw him record 21 goals and 25 assists in 66 games despite averaging just 11:25 of playing time per game.  However, their concern about his arbitration eligibility led to him being non-tendered. He quickly signed a one-year, $2M deal with Detroit on the opening day of free agency.

While Sprong didn’t quite produce at the same rate last season, he came relatively close, coming up three goals short of his 2022-23 performance while matching his assist totals.  And again, he didn’t play in the top six while surpassing 30 even-strength points for the second year in a row.  But that wasn’t enough to earn an extension with the Red Wings, who opted to shake up their roster, nor did it help him get a deal early in free agWith two good offensive years under his belt, Sprong landed 35th on our Top 50 UFA list last month. That came with a projection of him earning a raise and a multi-year agreement, but clearly, that didn’t come to fruition.

Instead, Sprong is taking a very team-friendly deal to land in a favorable Vancouver environment.  The Canucks finished seventh in the NHL in scoring last season. While they lost Elias Lindholm in free agency and moved out Ilya Mikheyev in a cap-clearing move, they brought in Jake DeBrusk and Danton Heinen from Boston while retaining Dakota Joshua after his breakout showing.  With Vancouver, Sprong should have the same type of role that he has become accustomed to, one that should see him playing in the bottom six at five-on-five with some secondary power play time.

With the move, the Canucks are effectively capped out.  Per PuckPedia, they now have less than $16K in cap room with a full-sized roster.  Notably, that does not include Tucker Poolman being on LTIR, so they will have more flexibility to work with him if they want to put him back there.  However, it would put them in a position of being unable to bank in-season cap space.  Alternatively, they could opt not to carry a full-sized roster to start the season, allowing them to have closer to $800K in room (with Poolman only on regular IR), giving them a shot to bank some space heading into the trade deadline.

If Sprong can have the same type of success with the Canucks in that role that he had with Seattle and Detroit, this contract has the potential to be one of the best bargains of the summer.  And if that happens, perhaps next summer will be when Sprong can land a bit of job security that he has been seeking for several years.