Are the Canucks better or worse since free agency TSN Weighs in

Shekky

Better than it was at the start of last season, but not quite as good as our playoff roster. Zadorov and Lindholm are big losses. That being said, our forward group is stupidly deep and is going to be a pain in the ass to go up against. I also like how huge the blueline is this year. It is a bit light on quality after the top pairing though, and both Forbort and Soucy are quite injury prone.

We are better and far more balanced.

If we kept Zadorov and Lindholm or signed other big name UFAs we would have to much tied up in to few.

Currently as we stand the Canucks have 3 possible 40 goal players in Boeser, Miller and EP40. 1 possible 30-35 goal player in Debrusk. 3 possible 100pt players in Hughes Miller and EP40. and more importantly 9 possible 20+ goal players Boeser, Miller, EP40, Debrusk, Hoglander, Garland, Joshua, Heinen and Sprong. 

Our Center depth is amoung the top 10- 15 if not top 10. EP40 and Miller where top 10 centers in the league last year. Even Blueger had 22 assist in 68 games. Suter no longer has to play 2nd line winger and can play 4th line center (Suter is not a top 6 will never ne a top 6 forward and was only able to get 14 goals well playing with 2 of the top players in the league). Sherwood plays both wing and center. 

Hughes is Hughes top end #1 dman on every time in the league. Hronek was 21st overall in dmen scoring and plus 33. He would be a #1 dman in the bottom 3rd of the league.

Combined they make up 3 of 4 top 4 dmen.

Saucey is a solid top 4 dman and Myers is a #4 dman in the league. Where we might lack is in 3rd position some one who can care a 2nd pairing. But I honestly think it is made up buy having Hughes and Hronek. Hronek isn't going to play 1st unit PP so if he can get our 2nd unit PP going then we will not be 1 unit PP team. With multiple 20 goal scores on the team I suspect our #2 unit PP to be better.

I believe our PK will be far better with the new addictions.

Our goaltending is going to compete for the best in the League. 

Are we better?  In Tocchets system?  Probably.  

What we are is deeper.  And in Tocchets system, that gives Tocchet more options to play guys to their strengths, to get guys going, and to match up teams.  

Could the D be a little better in the #3 d area.  Yes.  We have a clear 1 and a clear 2.  Probably two 4's.  And two 6's and like ten #7 dmen.   Someone needs to step up in the d.  There is opportunity for one or two young guys to step up on the D side. 

I think Tocchet has what he wants up front.  A bunch of interchangeable parts that he can plug in different ways every night.  

Debrusk and Boeser are top 6 wingers. 

Miller and Petey are top 6 centers.  

The other two top 6 wingers will change most games.  Suter, Heinen, Garland, Joshua, Hogs, Sprong will probably be the main players in the rotation.  But bet on every forward getting a shot in the top 6.  Anyone big, fast, or with good hands will get a shot up there at some point.  

We have depth now though.  And RT won't have to send Petey out with wingers he doesn't think are meshing with him night after night like he did last year.  

I think we start better than we did at the start of last season. We have one of the deepest forward groups in the league now with a few stars as well. Our defence is a bit weaker but maybe similar to what it was to start last season. 

A couple of mid-season trades will get us up above last year for sure but they'd have to be big, because adding Zadorov and Lindholm were huge pieces.

I wouldn't be surprised if we flip some kids like Podkolzin or more picks for a top defenceman around the mid-way mark of the season, especially when injuries hit.

Fabulous read here on the genius Alvin is

https://thecanuckway.com/posts/canucks-ranked-highly-among-nhl-teams-contract-efficiency

Patrik Allvin has done remarkably well during his (relatively) short time as Vancouver Canucks general manager. Certainly he's already leaving his mark on the organisation as the first Swedish general manager in NHL history.

Hired in January of 2022, Allvin's impact really started to take a hold on the ice this past season. The Canucks surprised a lot of experts by claiming their first division title since 2012-13 and totalling the third-most regular season points in team history.

As a result, Allvin was unsurprisingly named as one of the three finalists for the General Manager of the Year Award. Yes, he ultimately didn't win, but just the fact he was nominated speaks volumes about his impact in Vancouver.

Canucks jump all the way up to fifth place

When it comes to the Canucks' contract efficiency this year, Luszczyszyn places them fifth with a A- grade. On its own this is a tremendous ranking, but it's even more impressive when you consider The Athletic had them down in 18th position this time last year.

We put a lot of this down to the Canucks no longer having either Nikita Zadorov or Elias Lindholm on their roster. More specifically, that Allvin and company did not overpay to keep the duo in Vancouver.

This is backed up further by taking a look at the Boston Bruins' ranking of 15th which, while not bad in terms of being right around league average, is a big drop from fourth place last year. And when you look at the additions of Zadorov and Lindholm, it is hard to dismiss the negative impact.

Zadorov and Lindholm are the only players with D grades, at D- and D respectively, with both also easily having the biggest total negative surpluses on the Bruins roster. To be clear, we're not saying they aren't talented players who won't help the team -- they are and they will -- but it's clear the Bruins overpaid for both of them.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canucks definitely got better. While they might not surprise anyone this year, they will be hungrier and more determined than ever after experiencing that raucous crowd at Roger's this past spring. And I think that is going to motivate Petey as well. I think he's going to break 100 points next season, which isn't much of a hot take if DeBrusk will indeed be his winger. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Better up front, worse on the backend.  For a team that built its success on defensive play, it's a bold move......leys see if it works out for them 

We might be a bit better on the pk tho if the fancy stats are correct, worse 5 on 5 ? 

Cole was good for us tho. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

We might be a bit better on the pk tho if the fancy stats are correct, worse 5 on 5 ? 

Agreed on the pk, though that wasn't really a problem last season.........not a strength, but not a problem either.

I do think the fwds they added will be stronger defensively, so that might make up for the decline of the dcorp

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed on the pk, though that wasn't really a problem last season.........not a strength, but not a problem either.

It'll certainly help if we see EDM again when it matters 

Just now, stawns said:

I do think the fwds they added will be stronger defensively, so that might make up for the decline of the dcorp

Seems to be the plan. Worked in Pittsburgh.

A lot actually hinges on Vinnie. If he can take a step up I think we'll be ok. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we aren't done with trades. A lot has to shake out for other teams to be cap compliant.

44 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Our backend is better than it was 12 months ago. Don't count rentals in this please. It's a moot point, as JR and PA have plenty of time to make Zadorov-esque moves. 

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Our backend is better than it was 12 months ago. Don't count rentals in this please. It's a moot point, as JR and PA have plenty of time to make Zadorov-esque moves. 

To date, Big Z - cole is better than DF - VD. 

But... I have a lot of faith in the coaches to change that.

On 7/27/2024 at 8:58 AM, Mackcanuck said:

Fabulous read here on the genius Alvin is

https://thecanuckway.com/posts/canucks-ranked-highly-among-nhl-teams-contract-efficiency

Patrik Allvin has done remarkably well during his (relatively) short time as Vancouver Canucks general manager. Certainly he's already leaving his mark on the organisation as the first Swedish general manager in NHL history.

Hired in January of 2022, Allvin's impact really started to take a hold on the ice this past season. The Canucks surprised a lot of experts by claiming their first division title since 2012-13 and totalling the third-most regular season points in team history.

As a result, Allvin was unsurprisingly named as one of the three finalists for the General Manager of the Year Award. Yes, he ultimately didn't win, but just the fact he was nominated speaks volumes about his impact in Vancouver.

Canucks jump all the way up to fifth place

When it comes to the Canucks' contract efficiency this year, Luszczyszyn places them fifth with a A- grade. On its own this is a tremendous ranking, but it's even more impressive when you consider The Athletic had them down in 18th position this time last year.

We put a lot of this down to the Canucks no longer having either Nikita Zadorov or Elias Lindholm on their roster. More specifically, that Allvin and company did not overpay to keep the duo in Vancouver.

This is backed up further by taking a look at the Boston Bruins' ranking of 15th which, while not bad in terms of being right around league average, is a big drop from fourth place last year. And when you look at the additions of Zadorov and Lindholm, it is hard to dismiss the negative impact.

Zadorov and Lindholm are the only players with D grades, at D- and D respectively, with both also easily having the biggest total negative surpluses on the Bruins roster. To be clear, we're not saying they aren't talented players who won't help the team -- they are and they will -- but it's clear the Bruins overpaid for both of them.

It's no secret I like Zads and Lindholm. But I just feel that much like Ehrhoff they bolted for the money, and left a good situation here in Vancouver. 

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It's no secret I like Zads and Lindholm. But I just feel that much like Ehrhoff they bolted for the money, and left a good situation here in Vancouver. 

There was an 8 year period with 3 total playoff wins after ehrhoff bolted. The entire core crumbled and slowly went in decline. 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Dont forget Petey-D will be in Abby and they say he could really end up in Vancouver before years end

• Cheers 1

THIS IS OUR FUCKING YEAR! I can feel it. Prior to 2010-11 I had the almost the same feeling. I thought it was the year I kept saying to my brother and other friends/fans “I think this is the year”. This time around, it’s “this is the year” no more thinking, I’m confident the timing is right.

• MillerTime 1

On 7/21/2024 at 9:56 AM, Nucker67 said:

Grading the roster changes compared to last season, IMO

Forwards: A

Out: Lindholm, Mikheyev and Lafferty

In: DeBrusk. Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood

Defense: D

Out: Zadorov, Cole

In: Forbort, Desharnais

Goaltending: B

Out: DeSmith

In: Silovs

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Better up front, worse on the backend.  For a team that built its success on defensive play, it's a bold move......leys see if it works out for them 

I am absolutely ecstatic with our new forwards but the biggest issue I see with the D is that we went quantity for quality and on top of that, we gave our 34 year old, throw away/mistake, an extension of 3mil for 3 more years? 

I don't mind paying him a couple of million for one year to see if he could repeat last year as opposed to the fiasco he has been for the other years he has played for us. 

I sure am glad that we have cap room though because I think we are likley going to be looking for another dman at the dead line because there is no way he is a top 4 dman in anyones reality. 

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I am absolutely ecstatic with our new forwards but the biggest issue I see with the D is that we went quantity for quality and on top of that, we gave our 34 year old, throw away/mistake, an extension of 3mil for 3 more years? 

I don't mind paying him a couple of million for one year to see if he could repeat last year as opposed to the fiasco he has been for the other years he has played for us. 

I sure am glad that we have cap room though because I think we are likley going to be looking for another dman at the dead line because there is no way he is a top 4 dman in anyones reality. 

I'm not remotely worried about that.  His issues in previous years were almost completely coaching, or lack thereof

• ThereItIs 1

On 8/10/2024 at 11:32 AM, stawns said:

I'm not remotely worried about that.  His issues in previous years were almost completely coaching, or lack thereof

Management was the major problem in years past. Rutherford, Alvin, Emilie Castonguay and Cammi Granado.  The Canucks have an outstanding pro scouting and management team.  The Benning era was amateur hour. 

Edited by Pure961089

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

Management was the major problem in years past. Rutherford, Alvin, Emilie Castonguay and Cammi Granado.  The Canucks have an outstanding pro scouting and management team.  The Benning era was amateur hour. 

An amateur hour that built the core of the current team

From what the team lost and gained you I don't think the Canucks got better and, on paper, they are probably got a bit worse

On the Forward side losing Lindholm hurts but Mikheyev was a negative value so the loss of Lindholm and Mikheyev equate to the acquisition of DeBrusk. 

On the D-Side of things Zadorov + Cole > than any of the D the team acquired.

On Goaltending it's a bit tough to see. DeSmith was a good backup and we are still uncertain what the team has in Silovs. If he performs like he did in the playoffs then great but, asking him to play 20 to 30 solid games ( the expected number of games a backup plays) is still asking too much for him. 

Plus we aren't even sure if the last year's version of Daktoa Joshua is who is he is or if it's an outlier.

So right now, on paper, I think the team got a bit worse compared to around the time the team's season ended. But comparing to last year's offseason I think it's about the same.