2025 NHL Entry Draft

Much of the above applies also to the 2026 draft's Arseni Ilyin. Big kid at 6'2, 190. Not as fast or purely skilled as McKinney, but he's heavy and hard to handle on the puck. Reminds me a lot of Danila Yurov. He was dominant offensively at younger levels, but as the youngest player in MHL this year (December 24 birthday) it was clearly a big step for him and the offensive totals looked pretty modest, so I suspect he'll be flying under a lot of radars.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

What’s more interesting than the pick is the fact that mynhldraft has us mocked selecting at 19. I’d be more than a bit disappointed if we finished this low in the standings

I dunno though, the pick us pretty interesting. Personally I don't see Radivojevic going close to that early. Lol maybe they pick him at 29th and balance is brought to the universe.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

I dunno though, the pick us pretty interesting. Personally I don't see Radivojevic going close to that early. Lol maybe they pick him at 29th and balance is brought to the universe.

I’m always interested to see what players are touted as mid to late first rounders as the teams real work takes place targeting these players at this stage of the draft. A year out, I’m not convinced any mock can have any sort of accuracy but of course I’m a sucker  for any list that’s offered. Love the profiling efforts!

I was able to catch a bit of the Hlinka-Gretzky and the major standout for me was Matt Schaefer, looks like he could be contending for the 1st Dman off the board. I thought Jackson Smith also looked good. This could be another good 1st round for defenseman.

2 Canadian centers are on my radar coming into the year aswell: Caleb Desnoyers stood out for me in the HG, I really liked him in the games I saw. Skill/Smarts/solid size. And Jake O'Brien didn't have the best tourney but he stood out in some games at the end of last season. Good two-way center with top 6 offensive potential & a legit all around game. 

Early on it looks like it might be a pretty good class in the top 15 I'd say.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I was able to catch a bit of the Hlinka-Gretzky and the major standout for me was Matt Schaefer, looks like he could be contending for the 1st Dman off the board. I thought Jackson Smith also looked good. This could be another good 1st round for defenseman.

2 Canadian centers are on my radar coming into the year aswell: Caleb Desnoyers stood out for me in the HG, I really liked him in the games I saw. Skill/Smarts/solid size. And Jake O'Brien didn't have the best tourney but he stood out in some games at the end of last season. Good two-way center with top 6 offensive potential & a legit all around game. 

Early on it looks like it might be a pretty good class in the top 15 I'd say.

Completely agreed on all counts. Matthew Schaefer looked phenomenal. He was already on my radar as a top five guy, but after Hlinkas I have him number two overall behind Hagens.

Also thought O'Brien showed some pretty good skill despite not finding the scoresheet.

I've been saying for a while I thought this would be one of the better drafts in recent years. Just starting to really get to know the '07s now, but just based on the late birthday '06s you knew this class was going to get a huge boost: James Hagens, Logan Hensler, Shane Vansaghi, Porter Martone, Roger McQueen, Kashawn Aitcheson, Malcolm Spence, Jordan Gavin, Victor Eklund, Josh Ravensburger and Carl Axelsson.

It's the same reason 2020 was such a powerhouse with the likes of Lafreniere, Jack Quinn, Rossi, Lundell, Mercer, Holloway, etc all being late birthdays, and the other powerhouse class of the past few was 2023 with Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov, Danielson all late birthdays in the top 10. But if the actual '07 group itself proves to be as strong as I think it might be, this draft could potentially challenge those '20 and '23 classes.

Breaking it down by region, it looks like an above average class for Canada: OHL and WHL look strong as ever, but the Q looks way above average this year led by Billy Zonnon, Caleb Desnoyer, Emil Guite.

It's a sightly above average class for the USA: fairly average for the U18s, but they get a huge boost from those big three late birthdays (Hagens, Vansaghi, Hensler). I think Trethewey and McKinney will push for top ten spots, and guys like Will Moore, Conrad Fondrk, Donato Bracco, Cullen Potter will all have a chance to go first round. Maybe Horcoff? And some kids like Blake Fiddler, Cooper Simpson, Ben Kevan look good as as far as the non-NTDPs.

The Swedes are always strong but their class this year looks well above average to me. Anton Frondell, Viktor Klingsell, Sascha Boumedienne will be in the mix for top ten spots, and Jakob Wozniak, Eklund, Karl Annborn, Filip Ekberg will have a chance to go first round, plus maybe a couple others like Love Harenstam and Eric Nilsson.

The Czechs have been in a bit of a funk in recent years, but it looks like they have a pretty good group this year. Their Hlinka silver medal team was led by Adam Benak who might be a better junior player than he is an NHL prospect, and Adam Novotny who isn't eligible until 2026, but Radim Mrtka and Ondrej Stebetak both had incredible tournaments and I could easily see either or both as first rounders. Matej Pekar and Tomas Poletin looked pretty good too.

Slovakia seems to be coming back down to earth a bit after some really good years, but Luka Radivojevic looks like he could challenge for a spot in the first round. Tomas Pobezal, Andreas Straka and Michal Pradel could also be solid prospects.

Russia is always strong, but this looks like a fairly average class for them. Obviously Ryabkin is a special talent, but beyond that I don't see any obvious top ten picks. Some guys like Pyotr Andreyanov, Artyom Vilchinsky, Kirill Yemelyanov, Daniil Prokhorov and Ruslan Karimov will be in the mix for spots in the first round or two

Finland's class looks a little below average, but Germany is going to have a standout class led by the likes of David Lewandowski, Carlos Handel, Max Bleicher and Elias Schneider.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Zee Germans are interesting to me.

Will Carlos Handel play for the Mooseheads this year? 6'1 rhd skates like the wind is at his back with very good edge work as well.  He will be worth checking in on. Pinches agressively sometimes too agressively but I like the balls. With coaching, we could see him flourish. FWIW he put up 1A 1A in the game Germany lost vs USA  12-3 at Hilinka. 

Dustin Willhoft small but tenacious. Won best fwd at the U18 wjc D1a. Really impressed me at Hilinka too. Absolutely tore up the DNL U20 14pts and 25 pims in 5 playoff games. Struggled a bit in the SWEJ18 last year but always seems to raise his level of play when the quality of competition is raised. He's a bit of a wild card I felt Zetterberg was a 2nd round talent last year and went undrafted. I could see Willhoft suffering the same fate. As with Zetterberg I feel that would be a mistake. Kid's got jam and we could really use a slick playmaker in the system. 

Rio Kaiser 6'7 D held his own in the DEL 2 last year, and earned a callup to the DEL. Super calm big D play's a mature game. With one of our 4ths I would be very happy to take him. 

Edit you posted as I was writing. Yes I agree @MatchesMalone Germany has a standout class this year. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 2

If we do keep our 1st I imagine we will draft BSA. To me that's Victor Eklund over Wozniak, Ekberg. I'm trying not to get too hyped this draft on 1st rounders.

I do hope that we manage to get a couple more late rounders through moving players that have been pushed down our depth chart. I'd like to see more Bains, Karlsson than Aman PDG though they have been servicable 4th liners.

IMO there will come a time when they will be on waivers and certainly picked up as they are better than many 4th liners around the league. If we could return a pick for them that would be ideal. I felt like we drafted quite well last year with the late picks we had Fernstrom Romani Pattersson look very promising for where they were picked. Can't say I was very familiar with Alcos, Sansonnens.

With our 2nd I really like Milton Gastrin, Eddie Genborg, Adam Benak, Ondrej Stebetak, Carlos Handel so far. I'm sure the list will grow. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Even the draft sites now Alvin is Bedt Swede available with his first pick! He’s 3 years in a row first pick Swede!

Typically that only lasts for a GM's first couple years with a new team. They'll have a couple high ranking scouts they trust - in this case primarily Gradin - and they'll lean on them heavily. But once the GM has had the opportunity to get to know the scouting staff and who to trust,  and bring in some of their own people, you'll start to see more diversity with early picks. 

Edited by MatchesMalone

8 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Typically that only lasts for a GM's first couple years with a new team. They'll have a couple high ranking scouts they trust - in this case primarily Gradin - and they'll lean on them heavily. But once the GM has had the opportunity to get to know the scouting staff and who to trust,  and bring in some of their own people, you'll start to see more diversity with early picks. 

This is getting a bit A typical now though. If theres a decent Pettersson, Pattersson, Pederson in the 2025 class. You may as well start stitching his name on a canucks jersey. 

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

This is getting a bit A typical now though. If theres a decent Pettersson, Pattersson, Pederson in the 2025 class. You may as well start stitching his name on a canucks jersey. 

Lol it hardly seems interesting enough to be worth debating, but I've been doing mock drafts based on GM/DAS tendencies almost every year since around 2014; I've seen far more extreme tendencies than this, and it always seems like just when it reaches a fever pitch, I predict they'll go back to the well, and that's when they suddenly throw a curveball. The fact is, tendencies are just that: tendencies, not religious commandments or categorical imperatives. This one with Allvin is actually a relatively weak tendency compared to some I've seen in the past. It's only been two first round picks, and then a third round pick that happened to be their first pick in the draft.

Just off the top of my head I can recall a stretch from 2006 to 2015 where George McPhee and the Caps with 12 1st round picks took 3 players out of Russia and 6 out of Sweden. When Jim Rutherford was with Carolina he went a stretch from 2002-2014 where they picked 9 out of 11 1sts from the CHL, and then after taking Hanifin from NCAA in 2015, they picked two first rounders out of CHL in 2016.

In the grand scheme of things 2 out of 2 is a really weak correlation. What perhaps is slightly atypical is the fact that the Canucks' most promising picks during this span have in fact been been mostly Swedes in Lekkerimaki, Willander, Pettersson, which makes it more likely they'll continue to return to that well. But relative to draft position, Sawyer Mynio might be their best value pick under Allvin so far, so I would imagine Ron Delorme and the WHL crew will have earned themselves some consideration for a late 1st round pick.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Lol it hardly seems interesting enough to be worth debating, but I've been doing mock drafts based on GM/DAS tendencies almost every year since around 2014; I've seen far more extreme tendencies than this, and it always seems like just when it reaches a fever pitch, I predict they'll go back to the well, and that's when they suddenly throw a curveball. The fact is, tendencies are just that: tendencies, not religious commandments or categorical imperatives. This one with Allvin is actually a relatively weak tendency compared to some I've seen in the past. It's only been two first round picks, and then a third round pick that happened to be their first pick in the draft.

Just off the top of my head I can recall a stretch from 2006 to 2015 where George McPhee and the Caps with 12 1st round picks took 3 players out of Russia and 6 out of Sweden. When Jim Rutherford was with Carolina he went a stretch from 2002-2014 where they picked 9 out of 11 1sts from the CHL, and then after taking Hanifin from NCAA in 2015, they picked two first rounders out of CHL in 2016.

In the grand scheme of things 2 out of 2 is a really weak correlation. What perhaps is slightly atypical is the fact that the Canucks' most promising picks during this span have in fact been been mostly Swedes in Lekkerimaki, Willander, Pettersson, which makes it more likely they'll continue to return to that well. But relative to draft position, Sawyer Mynio might be their best value pick under Allvin so far, so I would imagine Ron Delorme and the WHL crew will have earned themselves some consideration for a late 1st round pick.

This is referring to the similarities in names, not the run of Swedish picks

Just now, InnocentGunn said:

This is referring to the similarities in names, not the run of Swedish picks

Lol. Completely missed the joke on that one. I was gonna say "I don't think Pederson is necessarily a Swedish name".

On 8/24/2024 at 11:38 PM, Hammertime said:

If we do keep our 1st I imagine we will draft BSA. To me that's Victor Eklund over Wozniak, Ekberg. I'm trying not to get too hyped this draft on 1st rounders.

I do hope that we manage to get a couple more late rounders through moving players that have been pushed down our depth chart. I'd like to see more Bains, Karlsson than Aman PDG though they have been servicable 4th liners.

IMO there will come a time when they will be on waivers and certainly picked up as they are better than many 4th liners around the league. If we could return a pick for them that would be ideal. I felt like we drafted quite well last year with the late picks we had Fernstrom Romani Pattersson look very promising for where they were picked. Can't say I was very familiar with Alcos, Sansonnens.

With our 2nd I really like Milton Gastrin, Eddie Genborg, Adam Benak, Ondrej Stebetak, Carlos Handel so far. I'm sure the list will grow. 

By the way, I actually agreed with your assessment of those Swedes, and I'm not sure that would be the consensus order. Some are very high on Wozniak or Ekberg, but for me Eklund has a lot of similarities to his brother. Wozniak has size and some decent skill but no one thing really stands out about him. Ekberg looks phenomenal at the junior level, but his game doesn't strike me as the most pro-translatable for his size.

There are at least two goalies I could see going in the first round this draft: Josh Ravensburger and Ondrej Stebetak, but I know some are also really high on Mans Goos, Love Harenstam, Semyon Frolov.

As to Canucks' likely tendencies, their scouts will have a good familiarity with Sawyer Mynio's Seattle teammate Braeden Cootes.

@MatchesMalone I'm just having a bit of fun. Of course, you don't put stock in us only selecting Swedes with our 1st pick or picking players whose names resemble Pettersson. It's all just a hilarious coincidence. 

That being said 1/3 of our picks have been Swedes under Allvin/Harvey. That is a trend I think will continue. Regardless of if the 1st pick being Swede trend continues. 

I was going to bring up Cootes too bad he was suspended he was one of the Canadians I was very interested in at Hilinka. Honestly the guy sat on him pinned him down and was shoving his face into the ice so Cootes cup checked him as he was skating away. Wasn't like Thrusty Prusty on Marchand. I was dissapointed he had to miss 2 games.

I feel like towards the draft the NA skaters are very well ranked through the 1st 2 rounds they don't seem to swing too wildly. I'll start narrowing down my list of NA skaters after x mas looking at players in our range. I'm not really putting much of my personal time into watching players we have little chance of drafting. I will defer to the opinions of the masses on top 10 order. Unless of course we get a pick in that range. 

Allvins draft history. 

image.png.3bcd39235dc60b0a7e7eda3027ab3b24.png

As Director 18-21

Best pick: Calen Addison

As Euro Director 13-17

Best pick: Kasperi Kappinen

Other notables: G Filip Gustavson?, Dominik Simon

As Euro scout. 07-12

I'll assume Sunqvist. This is probably his best pick we can actually attribute to Allvin. 

All this is to say it seems far more coincidence than tendency if you look at his draft history before his arrival here. I certainly don't have the impression that he is meddling in the scouting department. But it's way more fun to imply based on recent events that the trend will continue. I would absolutely hope Todd Harvey isn't just picking guys who's names resemble Petes for the LOL's and drafting Swedes if they aren't BPA on their list.

The Swedes they have taken are all trending in a positive direction. I'm excited to see Lekkerimaki this year. I think they have good intel there and less a case of over fishing. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

My post-Hlinkas top 15:

1. James Hagens

2. Matthew Schaefer

3. Anton Frondell

4. Porter Martone

5. Michael Misa

6. Ivan Ryabkin

7. Cole McKinney

8. Malcolm Spence

9. Charlie Trethewey

10. Logan Hensler

11. Roger McQueen

12. Viktor Klingsell

13. Sascha Boumedienne

14. David Lewandowski

15. Jackson Smith

One of those years that there doens't seem to be a runaway pick for first overall. Hagens would seem to be the consensus choice but it's not by any drastic margin. I could see any of Frondell, Schaefer, Martone challenge for number one.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just Wheeler crappin on.

He ranks some of the players of this draft class against some of the previous draft classes. 

Not much to talk about ATM, so I thought I would post this. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5698485/2024/08/14/2025-nhl-draft-james-hagens/

Matches, he states, at this early stage, he believes 2025 as a below average draft class brother.

I have more respect for your analysis, stating it is an above average draft.

Haha I appreciate you saying that dude. I don't have a ton of interest in Wheeler's opinion - and I don't even mean that as an insult, just that he's not a real scout, he's just a fan like any other forum or blogger scout. And there are at least a couple guys on this forum (excluding myself) who I would trust over Wheeler. These are fun questions to consider though. For me I'd put Schaefer up against any D from last year's class. I'd probably go something like:

1. Matt Schaefer
2. Anton Silayev
3. Zeev Buium

And then in some order Hensler, Levshunov, Trethewey, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Jiricek. 2024 definitely had a deeper defense class through the first couple tiers (top 15 or so), but then tapered off pretty significantly through the back half of the first round.

To me Schaefer's skating ability puts him in a category of his own. I mean he has all of the tools you could want from a #1 D, but to be considered in that 1st overall category a player needs at least one skill that sets them apart, and Schaefer has that; his skating is elite in every facet. Top speed, acceleration, edges, agility, deception. Fom the first time I saw Hagens at U17s I said he was the first overall pick for 2025, and hadn't really doubted it since then. After watching Hlinkas and a bunch of Schaefer tape on youtube, I'm having legitimate doubts.

As for the top players in the class compared to other recent classes, I'll go a year in each direction, from the 2024-2026 drafts:

1. Macklin Celebrini ('24)

2. James Hagens ('25)

3. Gavin McKenna ('26)

4. Ryan Roobroeck ('26)

5. Matthew Schaefer ('25)

Celebrini to Hagens is razor close, then a slight drop and the next three are neck in neck, with a few others like Anton Silayev ('24), Adam Novotny ('26) and Porter Martone ('25) right in that mix.

Randomly assigning and comparing players to eachother can be mildly interesting, but the top five from class to class is very different from the top 15 is very different from the top 50. Comparing an entire draft to another is an almost impossible task without breaking it down into some kinds of categories. Anyone who thinks this is a weak class, I would challenge them to say which geographical regions they think are weak.

The usual star factories - OHL, USA, Sweden - are all at least somewhat above average. Germany, Czechia, Quebec have their best classes in years. The only significant hockey countries that look weak this year are Finland and Slovakia, neither of which are generally high-volume first round pick producers anyway.

I could see an argument being made for WHL or Russia being a little below average, but both have some really good players, and overall I think there are enough high-end players coming out of Ontario, USA, Sweden, Czechia, Germany to shift the balance to at least somewhat above average overall.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...

No, I’m not interested, was Raanta’s reply.

The veteran goalie told Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat on Saturday that he’s not interested in playing in the NHL anymore, let alone checking out an opportunity on the West Coast that was really nothing bigger than a maybe.

With the Canucks obviously worried about the status of Thatcher Demko for the start of the season, they’ve been checking out what few free agent goalie options remain as insurance options. The top-line name remains Kevin Lankinen, where the door remains open but where there is also an obvious divide over salary; Raanta is a goalie head coach Rick Tocchet knows well from when Tocchet was bench boss in Arizona, so it makes sense the Canucks would have inquired with Raanta about his interest.

In his conversation with Ilta Sanomat, Raanta reveals that his conversations with the Canucks went so far as a Zoom video call with Canucks GM Patrik Allvin and newly-minted goalie coach Marko Torenius, who is Finnish as well.

But obviously what was no offer didn’t entice Raanta, who said he’d have a few other inquiries from NHL clubs this off-season.

At 35, after a decade in the NHL — playing 277 games for the Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Arizona Coyotes and Carolina Hurricanes — he’s said he’s just not interested in what the coming season would like for him in North America. He knew there was a chance he’d end up in the AHL, no matter where he signed. He finished last season in the AHL, which he said was fun, but in the end not a life he wants to experience again.

“I don’t have that same fire anymore, to fight tooth and nail for a spot,” he admitted. Playing for a European team, in Switzerland, Germany or Czechia, is far more appealing for him and his young family he said.

• Confused 1

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/james-hagens-in-pole-position-for-top-spot-at-2025-nhl-draft-1.2176638

Bob McKenzie's initial 2025 draft ranking is out.

Guys, how early did I call Hagens for 1st overall?

Roger McQueen with a 1st and a 2nd overall vote is super interesting.

Schaefer consensus number two became obvious to myself and probably to most people who saw him at Hlinkas.

Biggest omissions in my opinion are Cole McKinney and Viktor Klingsell, but overall it's fairly similar to my pre-season ranking, with 8 of the same guys in the top 10, and 4 of the same top 5.

After a pretty mediocre season last year, former 1st overall hopeful Michael Misa is at risk of free-falling if he can't find that next gear this season. But  he has the skill, IQ and creativity to go top five. He needs to improve his finishing in addition to his 200-foot game.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/james-hagens-in-pole-position-for-top-spot-at-2025-nhl-draft-1.2176638

Bob McKenzie's initial 2025 draft ranking is out.

Guys, how early did I call Hagens for 1st overall?

Roger McQueen with a 1st and a 2nd overall vote is super interesting.

Schaefer consensus number two became obvious to myself and probably to most people who saw him at Hlinkas.

Biggest omissions in my opinion are Cole McKinney and Viktor Klingsell, but overall it's fairly similar to my pre-season ranking, with 8 of the same guys in the top 10, and 4 of the same top 5.

After a pretty mediocre season last year, former 1st overall hopeful Michael Misa is at risk of free-falling if he can't find that next gear this season. But  he has the skill, IQ and creativity to go top five. He needs to improve his finishing in addition to his 200-foot game.

Misa definitely seems to be in free fall. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around this season. On the other hand, I can definitely see why people are high on McQueen. At 6'5" and a PPG last season I'm sure some GMs are drooling over him.

For the Canucks, it would probably be good to take a long look at Joshua Ravensbergen. With Demko's health becoming more and more of a question mark it would be nice to have a blue chip goalie prospect in the system. Maybe Silovs can keep developing but having another option never hurts.

5 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Misa definitely seems to be in free fall. It will be interesting to see if he can turn it around this season. On the other hand, I can definitely see why people are high on McQueen. At 6'5" and a PPG last season I'm sure some GMs are drooling over him.

For the Canucks, it would probably be good to take a long look at Joshua Ravensbergen. With Demko's health becoming more and more of a question mark it would be nice to have a blue chip goalie prospect in the system. Maybe Silovs can keep developing but having another option never hurts.

Yeah I was watching McQueen highlights this afternoon, and I can definitely see the appeal. I gotta look up when the Wheat Kings visit the Blades.

There arsome really good goalies this draft. I could see Ravensburgen go as early as top 20, but after him I could see Ondrej Stebetak being a late first as well. Beyond that Love Harestam, Semyon Frolov, Carl Axelsson, Mans Goos, Jack Ivankovic, Bjorn Bronas all look like potential 2nd-3rd rounders.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • Cheers 2