(Speculation) Canucks interested in Daniel Sprong

I get that Sprong isn’t really a Tocchet type player since he’s not great defensively and he’s not overly gritty either or hard on the forecheck, but a back to back 40 point player on a probably a one year contract at only one or two million a year? I think that is low enough risk and high enough reward to warrant taking a chance on, even if it didn’t work out it’s not like he would be hard to move. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Hmm.. Going from 3 players making league minimum 800K to 3 players making 1.8mil of course it is a massive upgrade...  Except that total in 3 million should be going to a top 6 winger. Because 4th liners are just 4th liners. They get 6-10 minutes and their assignment is mostly to be defensive, provide energy and grind. You can argue our 4th line is so good, we can give them more minutes. But I am not sure I've seen that as a winning formula around the league. 

You could also argue having a solid-good 4th line helps more. Look at Edmonton's and Florida's 4th lines for example. 

Personally Id rather keep a spot two for the young guys to try and grab // maintain cap flexibility if something interesting pops up (like on the back end).

I think the FWD group looks pretty good right now and Sprong not being a great fit anyways

• Like 1

I think one of Hogz or Podz will be dangled as trade bait at some point....

Sprong is an interesting player, he's been coming into his own the last couple years and trending upward, lots of upside...maybe the FO thinks they can find some defense in him under RT...that would remain to be seen though

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

No patience for Podz... You guys that think he's a bust and to get what we can for him... Suck donkey balls! 

I'm with you,

I still hold hope for Jake, because you know Power Forwards take time😉

Up to Podz to show up,  Zegras and Boldy drafted either side of him have

• Haha 1

The Vancouver Canucks have interest in free agent forward Daniel Sprong, according to Rick Dhaliwal of Donnie and Dhali — The Team.

Sprong, 27, is coming off a bit of a down year with the Detroit Red Wings, who signed him to a one-year “show me” contract worth $2 million following his career year with the Seattle Kraken.

Sprong being linked to the Canucks should come with little surprise, as he was drafted by the Jim Rutherford-led Pittsburgh Penguins in 2015. In our “Can the Canucks find the next Pius Suter” article from earlier this week, we identified Sprong as a potential target for the Canucks. Here’s what we wrote:
The first name that stands out when you look at free agents still on the board is without a doubt Daniel Sprong. The 27-year-old is a former Penguin, meaning he should probably the favourite on this list for the Canucks to sign.
Sprong scored 18 goals with the Detroit Red Wings last season, adding 25 assists in 76 games played. The season before that, however, was a career year for Sprong, as he tallied 21 goals and 25 assists through 66 games with the Seattle Kraken. That career year and decent scoring likely leave Sprong looking for a “show-me” deal, and he could certainly build his value out in Vancouver.
A right-shot winger, Sprong is below-average defensively but puts up solid results offensively at even strength. The Canucks have a valid roster at the time of this writing, but Sprong would be an upgrade on at least a couple of players currently projected to be in the club’s opening night lineup and could be a candidate to play top six minutes (would you expect anything less from someone who could be the next Pius Suter?)

Sprong didn’t do himself many favours with his year in Detroit and is likely looking at another one or two-year contract with a relatively low cap hit in a place he can prove his worth. That being said, his 18 goals — 15 of which came at even strength — and 25 assists are nothing to scoff at, either.

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Now everyone can see the connection.. 😎

yeah I mean I get it. A shooter back with Petey is a good idea, but he's also a weak point defensively and will pretty much be a 12-13 minute 5 on 5 only guy. Maybe PP2. 

Fine if we get him for cheap and he takes PDGs spot, e.g. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I'm with you,

I still hold hope for Jake, because you know Power Forwards take time😉

Up to Podz to show up,  Zegras and Boldy drafted either side of him have

Truth is I wanted boldy... But knowing Podz fell to us.  I was okay with that.  Look, Boldy has a very nice offensive tool box but hasn't been great at defending as of yet... Takes time to round out the game.  We'll same goes for Podz... Responsible defensive game, just needs to get offense going.  Well see this upcoming season, one way or the other.  But I have faith he'll pull it together, hopefully here on the nucks. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Shit meet wall but will it stick 

seems like most  of the time Frank Dhaliwal  shit just bounces right off and into their face. 

sprong is just Wrong spelled a bit  different 

Edited by Combover
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If we do get him, I don't think that we should just hand him a top 6 spot.  He's going to have to earn it.  Having extra NHL calibre players is never a bad thing.  It creates more competition at camp and provides a good backup if and when there are injuries.  Of course how much we have to pay is important but so far Allvin and co. have been managing the cap well so I expect them to continue to do so.  GCG!

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is it bad that the first article that came up when I went looking for who Sprong was is this article?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canadian-race-car-driver-claims-he-was-assaulted-by-nhl-forward-daniel-sprong-144548552.html

Word on the street is the dude was an asshole and deserved all he got.  
Race car driver might as well be a horse jockey.  
He shouldn’t have beaked off a 200lbs man balding early in his 20s. 
Hahahaha

Big testosterone fueled athlete vs little fella with a big mouth.  
Be the bigger man by shutting up and going away. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Sprong is unsigned and available for a reason. Maybe, it's a character issue. If he goes unsigned  and none of the young guys step up at camp then maybe you sign him cheap. Maybe...