(Speculation) Canucks interested in Daniel Sprong

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Truth is I wanted boldy... But knowing Podz fell to us.  I was okay with that.  Look, Boldy has a very nice offensive tool box but hasn't been great at defending as of yet... Takes time to round out the game.  We'll same goes for Podz... Responsible defensive game, just needs to get offense going.  Well see this upcoming season, one way or the other.  But I have faith he'll pull it together, hopefully here on the nucks. 

I think Podkolzin's biggest issue is between the ears. He's spent so much time focusing on defense  and making the safe play that he's become tentative on offense. He needs to let go and just play imo

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I don’t like the potential Sprong signing like I don’t like the Skinner signing in Edmonton.

I’m not convinced the Oilers are any tougher to play against now having lost speed and grit on their bottom six and adding a few goals which they don’t need. Sprong is a similar floater to Skinner.

They had a Skinner/Sprong amalgam in Kuzmenko and they slid him out the back door. Why would we pursue a this player now?

Edited by Zimmyparttwo
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is it bad that the first article that came up when I went looking for who Sprong was is this article?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/canadian-race-car-driver-claims-he-was-assaulted-by-nhl-forward-daniel-sprong-144548552.html

Means he has that playoff vibe to him, let's go! Kill or be killed. 

Who's Daniel Sprong? 

Minnesota no? 

Tbh I like the idea of adding Sprong either by signing or PTO. If Podkolzin can't beat anyone out of a job on the big club, then it might be time to find him a new home. Not giving up on him,  but he needs to prove he deserves a spot in the NHL at some point. Yes,  Power forwards take longer to develop, but he is getting close to the male or or break it point. Also, Sprong could be a potential upgrade to our top 6. Pods may only ever be a bottom 6 player, which is fine. However, we currently have better options in our bottom 6. Also have to consider that cap would have to be traded out to make us compliant for the season,  especially if we want flexibility for TDL

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

^ Those guys, going out, saves $100,000 of cap space as compared to having Theodore

think that leaves less than nhl minimum for sprong.?

We have more cap space

The 165k we currently have is based on a 23 man roster.

We could easily sent 2 guys down to AHL which would give us 1.76M in cap space with a 21 man roster. Sign a player for 1.76M and now we'd have a 22 men roster which is more than enough.

Not to mention we also have the extra 2.5M available from Poolman if we want to use it.

However, if Canucks sign anyone I fully suspect it'll be for no more than 800k

I think the canucks want to keep Poolman of LTIR and acrue as much cap space as possible

They'll most likely carry a 22 man roster on the road to allow for extra accruals and 23 at home to award the AHL guys with a NHL paycheque and get them in to practice like PA said

29 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't get the fascination they have with Sprong, other than he was drafted by PIT. The Penguins connections with all of the players is getting a little annoying now. 

Well the guy has proven he can score and put up points

He's still young, but it's crazy he's beennon 5 teams in 6 years....

I wouldn't be upset if Canucks signed him because in PA/JR I trust at the moment 

38 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't get the fascination they have with Sprong, other than he was drafted by PIT. The Penguins connections with all of the players is getting a little annoying now. 

rinse and repeat with every GM and Coach in recent years so not surprising at all. Don't think we sign him in the end but never know if its a cheap 1 yr deal is it really that terrible of an idea? If Podkolzin was contributing as an NHLer we wouldn't need to have these discussions likely.

Also, is it just me or should Garland not go on the line with Debrusk and Pettersson...he is a puck hound and goes to the dirty areas! At nearly 5m time to give him better linemates and a top 6 spot imo. Heck you could try Joshua on the left side and move Debrusk to JT line. We should be see various line combos during pre season just like on D....try Desharnias with Hughes, I mean Bear/Schenn/Juulsen have played with the Captain why not a big aggressive shot blocking stay at home D who? 

Then let mr. 7.25m Hronek lead his own pair with Soucy, then we can put Chaos on the 3rd pair(what a terrible resigning!)

• Like 1

I’d prefer we save the cap and contract space to add mid season. Feel the same way about Kylington, fwiw, unless they’re coming in at league min (or low enough to be buried without penalty.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I’d prefer we save the cap and contract space to add mid season. Feel the same way about Kylington, fwiw, unless they’re coming in at league min (or low enough to be buried without penalty.)

Agree. We don't have to be so reactionary or desperate. Just be smart incrementally to improve. 

• Cheers 1

He won’t fit with the team defensively.

Just save the cap space for the trade deadline, with Poolman on the roster we will have a lot of cap space by trade deadline for a top 4 defencmen.

Also need to see Podkolzin, Karlsson, Raty on the roster this season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I’m torn on that but also we have the cap space. What if Sprong could be a speedy 25 goal 50 point winger in our top 6 at a cheap 1.5 mill or less contract. Could save you your 2nd round pick rather than waiting and trading it for a similar guy at the deadline. Were short on trade assets that I like the idea of adding Sprong and or Kylington now if they’d take 1 year show me deals at cheap money.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Somehow quantity = success? Don't see how using all of our fire powder loading up on 3rd liners will help us advance. We've already got Heinen, Hoglander, Joshua, Blueger, Garland, Suter, Sherwood. Another signing and Podkolzin is playing another full season in the AHL again. This is pretty much the year we either play him or trade him, hes lost much of his value already. 

Depth Depth and more Depth! Adding an extra body never hurts. Injuries occur all season long..

Also, Podkolzin will never reach his Top 10 potential. Time to move on from that. Bustaroo alert!

At best you're looking at a 3rd/4th line Winger.. Some penalty killing upside. He's not going to be the 25+ Goal scoring Top 6 Forward we were all hoping for. That ship has sailed. 

& If he can't win a spot in the bottom 6 against guys like Sherwood/Henien/Blueger etc.. I think it'll be a wrap on his time in Vancouver for sure. He might play in The AHL next season but it won't be in Abbotsford..

Hopefully they get more in return than a Noah Juulsen & a Juho Lammikko like the last top 10 draft bust trade made here..

3 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Medicine hat tigers vibes

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

They know exactly what these players are, their floor and ceiling, and where they're at now based on their earlier scouting.

They also know what they can rely on and whether Sprong has another level. It's actually an advantage. Especially if they know other teams haven't utilized them properly or to their fullest potential. 

If another team decides to pick him up... All the power to them.  But if not... Pick him up on a PTO for cheap. Otherwise wait and see what we have with our new players, look for a taker in Poolman, take that cap, wait until the trade deadline and get a REAL impact player for the stretch run and the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Hmm.. Going from 3 players making league minimum 800K to 3 players making 1.8mil of course it is a massive upgrade...  Except that total in 3 million should be going to a top 6 winger. Because 4th liners are just 4th liners. They get 6-10 minutes and their assignment is mostly to be defensive, provide energy and grind. You can argue our 4th line is so good, we can give them more minutes. But I am not sure I've seen that as a winning formula around the league. 

Ya, it isn’t Benning giving millions and a bunch of term to 4th liners, but those are the roster spots you need to save cap space on.

There are always cheap veterans, young prospects on the farm, or guys getting waived that can fill those bottom spots for $1 million or under.  We have filled them all so there isn’t a spot really available.

Hoping that a career 3rd or 4th liner can suddenly produce at a top line rate is not impossible,  it certainly VERY optimistic!

6 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Word on the street is the dude was an asshole and deserved all he got.  
Race car driver might as well be a horse jockey.  
He shouldn’t have beaked off a 200lbs man balding early in his 20s. 
Hahahaha

Big testosterone fueled athlete vs little fella with a big mouth.  
Be the bigger man by shutting up and going away. 

Looks like we found our new zadorov

Big S