[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Krakens, Climate Pledge Arena, September 28, @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #3

Truefan99

Who will win?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/29/2023 at 01:59 AM

I haven't cared this year about preseason. Too many non-NHLers still in these games for the Canucks. This isn't the team.

IMO though, time to cut the AHL guys and get down to business. A good start with lots of wins is crucial this year.

They better be fricken ready. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These aren’t arguments though. These are fans who support their club and look for the positives. There will always be the Negative Nellys who aren’t happy. We still have fans who will suggest Gillis wasn’t great. Even though those were our best clubs. 
Now we have new management that is very similar to Gillis. They are building us another great club. If fans look for the positives they  see how obvious that is. 

Ya but I think you have to be very aware that the core who has lost a lot the last couple of years is still here and like this preseason so far have lost again. Yes it's not the whole group but people are tired of losing and starting strong is something they have to do. They said the same things last year. It's early. It's early until it wasn't. I just think maybe the core doesn't come in and really push for Chang Ron attitude. You can't just feel your way into a season. You have to be ready from the get go. So it is concerning when you are seeing things like starting slow. The other teams scores first and the shots are lopsided and we are starting to still hear it's early. We have time. It would be ignorant to ignore the past of this core. It hasn't been a one off. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I haven't cared this year about preseason. Too many non-NHLers still in these games for the Canucks. This isn't the team.

IMO though, time to cut the AHL guys and get down to business. A good start with lots of wins is crucial this year.

This is exactly how I feel.

No time to muck around, hit the go button now. A couple of bits and pieces games to get everyone on the ice but it's go time.

5 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

You show you are ready by creating good habits and so far we have still seen a lot of bad habits from players from the main group. That's what concerns me. You can't just turn it on. If they have an amazing night tomorrow, that might change some of those feelings. I really hope they do.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya but I think you have to be very aware that the core who has lost a lot the last couple of years is still here and like this preseason so far have lost again. Yes it's not the whole group but people are tired of losing and starting strong is something they have to do. They said the same things last year. It's early. It's early until it wasn't. I just think maybe the core doesn't come in and really push for Chang Ron attitude. You can't just feel your way into a season. You have to be ready from the get go. So it is concerning when you are seeing things like starting slow. The other teams scores first and the shots are lopsided and we are starting to still hear it's early. We have time. 

Concerning to those who don’t look for the positives. Our core is young and elite. We lack depth in the supporting cast. It’s exactly where the club was when Gillis took over. It takes a few seasons to build that depth. We are getting very close. One or two depth guys away. Still we are a 105 point club right now. And soon we will be winning Cups. And even then the negative Nellys will not be happy. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Concerning to those who don’t look for the positives. Our core is young and elite. We lack depth in the supporting cast. It’s exactly where the club was when Gillis took over. It takes a few seasons to build that depth. We are getting very close. One or two depth guys away. Still we are a 105 point club right now. And soon we will be winning Cups. And even then the negative Nellys will not be happy. 

Well they haven't really been a 105 point club so you can't call them that. They have a lot to prove. They have proven nothing. That's just the reality. I am looking for positives. Pettersson and Hughes had amazing years and yet we missed the playoffs. Those other players have to step up. Some of these preseason game with the other guys haven't really ranked up the confidence. Going through the motions and not looking hungry is concerning.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

These aren’t arguments though. These are fans who support their club and look for the positives. There will always be the Negative Nellys who aren’t happy. We still have fans who will suggest Gillis wasn’t great. Even though those were our best clubs. 
Now we have new management that is very similar to Gillis. They are building us another great club. If fans look for the positives they  see how obvious that is. 

Yes, I love this take.  Even if it is hard to do sometimes.  I think we all need to accept that this will likely be another year where we are going to be frustrated a lot of nights.  The top teams are going to steam roll us often, but there should be more middle teams we should be competing with than last year.  We do not have a lot of room for error or injuries. We should be able to beat up a lot of the lower tier teams though, which last year we didn’t.  As long as they don’t take the night off.  These are the steps they must take to get better.

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

For anyone that watched the game: How did Ian Cole look? 

Great. His pair with Hronek was one of the few bright spots. It was the rest of the defense that looked umm questionable, especially moving the puck.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You show you are ready by creating good habits and so far we have still seen a lot of bad habits from players from the main group. That's what concerns me. You can't just turn it on. If they have an amazing night tomorrow, that might change some of those feelings. I really hope they do.

Were you able to watch the game last night? (I could not find any way to)

I feel that preseason is to get everyone on the same page so the first few games really won't show that much. Be patient...they'll get there (I hope!!)

Did you not like what you saw from Soucy or Blueger? New pieces and right now they're in the initial stages of putting the team together. Not making excuses...like you, I'd hoped for a running start this year. But when the season actually begins, that's when we'll know how prepared they are.

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Were you able to watch the game last night? (I could not find any way to)

I feel that preseason is to get everyone on the same page so the first few games really won't show that much. Be patient...they'll get there (I hope!!)

Did you not like what you saw from Soucy or Blueger? New pieces and right now they're in the initial stages of putting the team together. Not making excuses...like you, I'd hoped for a running start this year. But when the season actually begins, that's when we'll know how prepared they are.

No I had to listen but even the announcers were saying 15 min without a shot is not good and it isn't. I  think Bluegers been great but he isn't what concerns me. Miller, Boeser our second line. They said they weren't good. It's your first game. Look hungry like you have something to prove. They just seem at times like they have that attitude that we have time to figure things out. They need to come out with some fire in their bellies.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Great. His pair with Hronek was one of the few bright spots. It was the rest of the defense that looked umm questionable, especially moving the puck.

What about Wolanin and Irwin...how'd they do?

3 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Cole was what we expected, solid, but Hronek, I thought, struggled all game to break the puck out cleanly. He was flipping it out often, and Seattle was gaining possession again right away. 

Just now, -dlc- said:

What about Wolanin and Irwin...how'd they do?

Wolanin didn't have a very good game. He caused the 2nd goal with a weak backhand attempt that didn't clear the zone. Irwin was okay, physical. The D, aside from maybe Cole, struggled with breakouts. It's why we only had 10 shots all game until the final few min push. We kept giving the puck away and then chasing it down, but Seattle had a good transition game.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

One thing different about this year with the roster is that there was a lot of emphasis put into building up the depth of supporting players and creating competition at the NHL level

We have now seen positives in team structure and PK

Im with you Alf, I’m expecting around 100 points

9 minutes ago, Johnny said:

One thing different about this year with the roster is that there was a lot of emphasis put into building up the depth of supporting players and creating competition at the NHL level

We have now seen positives in team structure and PK

Im with you Alf, I’m expecting around 100 points

I expect a lot too. That's why I wanted them to come out angry and looking determined. The passive attitude is a bit concerning. Maybe they just don't have enough of those type of players. I expect them to win at the beginning of the year. Anything less is a big disappointment with all the talk they spew out. Show us!

2 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I expect a lot too. That's why I wanted them to come out angry and looking determined. The passive attitude is a bit concerning. Maybe they just don't have enough of those type of players. I expect them to win at the beginning of the year anything less is a big disappointment with all the talk they spew out. Show us!

We've seen the team often look tired for many years now, and last night it was a bit of the same. They didn't start a period with gumption. They had their moments throughout the game, but not much.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, as last night was not as good of a team as our lineup against Edmonton, it's preseason, and it was some of their first games this year. The remaining preseason games will be a better indication of where this team is at. 

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

We've seen the team often look tired for many years now, and last night it was a bit of the same. They didn't start a period with gumption. They had their moments throughout the game, but not much.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, as last night was not as good of a team as our lineup against Edmonton, it's preseason, and it was some of their first games this year. The remaining preseason games will be a better indication of where this team is at. 

It's just odd they say the same thing at the end of each season and yet begin each season with the same attitude as last which gets them into trouble. 

8 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It's just odd they say the same thing at the end of each season and yet begin each season with the same attitude as last which gets them into trouble. 

Which is why I think this year will look a lot like last 2 just the amplitude of the swings will be lower. 
Our October is brutal and we are a slow starting club with some notoriously slow starting players. Our season could well be done by Nov 1 again. 
‘Despite all the changes we are seeing the same trends. Will be good to see more of the NHL team together these last 3 games but with Podz looking like he has taken a mental step back, our Lilliputian forward ranks getting smaller and still no partner for Hughes I just think we will continue to follow the same patterns of the last few years but the lows won’t be as low and the highs not as high because of the low event system Tocchet is trying to implement. 

49 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We never acquired Nelly Alflives.  You are getting very old my friend.

Why do I say this?  Simple.  There are *TWO* sure fire signs of aging.

One is memory loss & the other....well I forgot that one.🕵️‍♀️

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Cole was what we expected, solid, but Hronek, I thought, struggled all game to break the puck out cleanly. He was flipping it out often, and Seattle was gaining possession again right away. 

Wolanin didn't have a very good game. He caused the 2nd goal with a weak backhand attempt that didn't clear the zone. Irwin was okay, physical. The D, aside from maybe Cole, struggled with breakouts. It's why we only had 10 shots all game until the final few min push. We kept giving the puck away and then chasing it down, but Seattle had a good transition game.

I didn't watch the game but this could be due to forwards giving no options. I'm just saying this because of Hronek's reputation as a very strong puck mover, nothing else. 

Can we just start icing an actual NHL roster already and give the team a few games to gel?? If anything try out the kids on rotating in and out on the 4th line or as a #6 D. Beginning to worry about another slow start.. playing AHL guys who aren't going to make the team isn't doing us any favors.

1 minute ago, Bobby Lou said:

Can we just start icing an actual NHL roster already and give the team a few games to gel?? If anything try out the kids on rotating in and out on the 4th line or as a #6 D. Beginning to worry about another slow start.. playing AHL guys who aren't going to make the team isn't doing us any favors.

Also, there are quite a few new guys on this team and they need to get in a groove with their new team mates. 

Suter

Blueger

Hronek

Soucy

Cole

Irwin

DeSmith

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I didn't watch the game but this could be due to forwards giving no options. I'm just saying this because of Hronek's reputation as a very strong puck mover, nothing else. 

Yeah, I'm not really concerned, as it was likely just rust with him.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Late comments.

1. Tocchet was pretty clear about his plan to use the first three pre-season games to get a good look at players fighting for spots and look at different possible line combinations and defensive pairings. The next three will be primarily for preparing the actual lineup to start the season, although he will no doubt continue to do some comparative evaluations of guys competing for the last couple of spots.

2. It would have great if the first three games had worked out better, but the Canucks had the weaker team on paper in all three games.

3. One thing the pre-season has emphasized is that the Canucks are not deep. But it looks like we can put together a good goalie tandem, 3 good D-pairings, and 4 pretty good line.

4. Relative to last year the goaltending will be better. And so will the D as the pairing of Cole and Hronek looks very good and capable of being a genuine shutdown pairing.  And Bluegar and Suter look like good acquisitions that will upgrade the bottom-6 center positions. McWard might be the "rookie surprise" of the pre-season, and it looks like Studnicka and Aman are two guys who really did have a "big summer". Those should all be net improvements over last year. 

I certainly expect to see better performances over the rest of the pre-season.

Stronger shutdown pair, bottom 6 and goaltending for sure.  PK looks improved as well if you focus on the major players.

Ive also noticed Petey and Miller in particular haven’t “arrived” yet - and most of our offence flows through those two. 

0-2-1 stinks but when you look at it, it could be alright.

• Cheers 1