[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

10 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Yep.  It’s a bet by Allvin to see if he can win a top 6 winger spot in camp.  

If things pan out, PDG should be going to Abby. But it could just as easily be Sprong himself on waivers.

If he makes the top 6 then that would be great.

It just occurred to me that maybe Allvin is thinking that either Garland or Joshua (or both) moves up and Sprong might replace their scoring on the 3rd line.

Joshua Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Pettersson Garland

Heinen Blueger Sprong

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

Podkolzin 

It means breaking up everybody's favorite 3rd line but are they really married to that?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

It just occurred to me that maybe Allvin is thinking that either Garland or Joshua (or both) moves up and Sprong might replace their scoring on the 3rd line.

Joshua Miller Boeser

Heinen Blueger Sprong

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

Podkolzin 

It means breaking up everybody's favorite 3rd line but are they really married to that?

That lineup does have a way better mix if we do indeed break up that third line. That said that 3rd line was the best in the league last year. Tough to say 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Sophomore Jinx said:

Gone are the days of the Beagles of the world being signed for 3M on multiple year deals...

Competent, skilled management here are getting it done, over and over again...I still can't believe we got a .62 ppg guy for under a mill, and on a "show me" contract no less

Actually a long time ago now. I don’t think we need to look in the past anymore 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Joshua Miller Boeser

Heinen Blueger Sprong

Hoglander Suter Sherwood

Podkolzin 

Yeah, I love the look of our top 6 with Garland and Joshua up there!

otoh they work as a 3rd line because they’re both solid in their own zone - something Sprong is notoriously not known for.  Bleuger and Heinen might be enough to cover for him, though.  Those two are rock solid.

We’ll see, I guess.  Allvin has added a ton of speed on the wings this offseason - and decent enough scoring pop.  Options abound.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he came here on a show me deal because he must like what the brass and Tocchet are making here. 

Yep this is the benefit now.

Looking at all our guys here that got paid, free agents looking to rebuild their value will be more willing to come here on cheap deals.

Was kind of skeptical about his game fitting in here but there’s no doubt this is great value for a 15-20 goal scorer. You need lots of those during the regular season. Not sure how his game would translate to playoffs though.

• Cheers 4

Cant argue w the price.  Hopefully he comes in knowing/willing to play up to the staples the team has established.  Competition should be fierce come training camp

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Rumours had Buffalo also showing interest, with Skinner out the door and needing a quick offensive infusion. 

Interesting that he chose Vancouver.  I do appreciate that he bet on himself - it’s really that RW spot with Petey or bust as he doesn’t seem like a bottom 6 player and I can’t see Tocchet switching up Miller-Boeser, who he likes to use head to head as matchup. 

I think the dream is that Sprong gives enough offence and creativity to Petey’s line that we can shift DeBrusk up to that top line.

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

could be one of the best all-around lines in hockey.

Sprong with Pettersson and DeBrusk makes more sense to me imo, both are solid enough defensively to insulate Sprong

I also like DeBrusk as a partner for Pettersson, Miller already has Boeser

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Now let’s get Shattenkirk.

I agree.

Should still be looking to upgrade Friedman and Juulsen at the bottom of the lineup.

Juulsen should be number 8 on the depth chart.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I agree.

Should still be looking to upgrade Friedman and Juulsen at the bottom of the lineup.

Juulsen should be number 8 on the depth chart.

Out of those 2, I feel more comfortable with Juulsen out there. I thought he progressed nicely over last season, but yeah, Shattenkirk would be much better than either.

13 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Rumours had Buffalo also showing interest, with Skinner out the door and needing a quick offensive infusion. 

Interesting that he chose Vancouver.  I do appreciate that he bet on himself - it’s really that RW spot with Petey or bust as he doesn’t seem like a bottom 6 player and I can’t see Tocchet switching up Miller-Boeser, who he likes to use head to head as matchup. 

I think the dream is that Sprong gives enough offence and creativity to Petey’s line that we can shift DeBrusk up to that top line.

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser

could be one of the best all-around lines in hockey.

Hell yeah - I’ve noted this before and think that’s how it rolls out. There are just some people here who have picked their projected lineup and are unwilling to move from their deadset belief that Debrusk must be for Petey. I honestly think Debrusk fits Miller and Boeser like a glove. 

• ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep this is the benefit now.

Looking at all our guys here that got paid, free agents looking to rebuild their value will be more willing to come here on cheap deals.

Was kind of skeptical about his game fitting in here but there’s no doubt this is great value for a 15-20 goal scorer. You need lots of those during the regular season. Not sure how his game would translate to playoffs though.

I had something along these lines typed out and I just lost it.   We’re clearly a destination again - which is a huge bonus. Those Benning years were trying to lure veterans to a team just to get their teeth kicked in on the ice and run down on social media every day.

Looking back, it’s the *term* moreso than the AAV that was so terrible - and that’s something Allvin is a master of managing. Advantages aside, he’s certainly an exponential upgrade.

Sprong hasn’t done much in the playoffs and that’s not a surprise - most of his goals come from the outside with his (admittedly nice) shot. His speed could still be useful, though. How many times did Petey spring Mikheyev only to result in a flub?  Now that Sprong is signed, I’m certainly rooting for him.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Hell yeah - I’ve noted this before and think that’s how it rolls out. There are just some people here who have picked their projected lineup and are unwilling to move from their deadset belief that Debrusk must be for Petey. I honestly think Debrusk fits Miller and Boeser like a glove. 

I think in a perfect world Lekkeramaki pulls a Wyatt Johnston and takes the league by storm at 20.

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Lekkeramaki 

Garland Blueger Sprong

Hoglander Suter Heinen

Essentially two first lines and two third lines. Exactly the place you wanna be.

• Like 2

I think we need to remember that we will have injuries and someone will just not meet expectations.  Last year Kuz and Mik stunk and they were penciled in to top 6 roles.  Any of Sprong, Joshua, Garland, Hogz, Podz, Suter, or Heinen, depending on fit, performance, and injuries, could play in the top 6. Lots of options.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sprong with Pettersson and DeBrusk makes more sense to me imo, both are solid enough defensively to insulate Sprong

I also like DeBrusk as a partner for Pettersson, Miller already has Boeser

I hear you, but something about Miller-Debrusk just pops off the page. I’d love to see it.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1