[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Calgary was stealing from Vancouver.

Now Vancouver is stealing from Calgary, and Seattle.

Next up...candy from babies....Mr Burns style! 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Höglander for Broberg?

I’d do that deal in a heartbeat. 

Or we (as in PA/JR) could offer sheet the Coilers on Broberg, give up a 3rd pick (an outside chance of a 2nd) and trade Hogz for assets after the Coilers don't match. 

Does the 3rd have to be NEXT year? Anyone one know?

Edited by Rocket-68

14 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Or we (as in PA/JR) could offer sheet the Coilers on Broberg, give up a 3rd pick (an outside chance of a 2nd) and trade Hogz for assets after the Coilers don't match. 

The pick has to be in the upcoming season

• Cheers 1

Hmmm not sure I'm loving Sprong in the top 6 or even top 9 buuuuuuut Since our top 9 look to be very agressive checkers. I don't think we need that prototypical grinding 4th.

I would be interested in something like. 

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Dak Pete Garland

Heinen/Hog Blueger Sherwood

Heinen/Hog Suter Sprong

That bottom 6 with potentially three 20 goalscorers will absolutely give teams fits. If Suter puts up another 10-15 and Sherwood pots 10, we could be looking at 90ish goals from our bottom 6. That would be crazy. Watch Podz pop too!

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

You are literally watching Jim Bennings team. Just PA has the position of GM.

Demko+Silovs = JBs net

JBs additions>>>>>the borderline 2nd line/3rd line “talent” PA has spent all his dollars on. Show some bloody appreciation and quit trolling.

Your boy PA has failed to find legit top 6 talent to do anything to help the top 6. Instead it’s JBs guys having to carry dead weight like Shitkeyev

Id be a little bit patient before even going into Alvin's stuff.   A year and a half, fixed a big mess with OEL, already planted as one of the worst trades in club history (that kid Guenther sure would be nice right about now).    Fixed most of JB's cap errors,  and yes made some mistakes but is quick to fix them.   Kuzmenko became Lindholm.    Do you really think JB would have traded Horvat?  I don't.   Instead flipped him for a younger top pairing RHD, something we haven't JB entire tenure.   

GM of the year finalist, wouldn't want to go back and tally up JB's accolades in that respect.   Dumped Dickinson, dumped Stillman, still working around Poolman.     I lost trust in his abilities to finish (add key support).   MG was a great finisher and also great at installing a top to bottom unity and creating a premier professionally done vibe.   Hamhuis was core.  Erhoff a solid number 2 for us.   His drafting did stink despite where he drafted, didn't trade a lot of capital, one first for Ballard and it was a late one.   Good at keeping the band together.   6 drafts is quite a few for dick fuck all, add a couple Nonjs dead call and we got what from it?   Hutton and Horvat, far worse then what most expansion teams under the old rules the first couple years.    Nothing but Edler to Horvat ouch.   RIP Bourdon though, he was going to make it. 

Allvin didn't bite at 7.8 x 7.    And 5 x 6.   His use of cap space so far, aside from maybe EP (damned if you don't) has been excellent and very refreshing.    Zero overpays in a tax disadvantaged market.   No more extra .5-1 for support guys with an extra year attached.   JT Miller was a great move unbelievable.   Almost every  GM out of the top five and maybe even some of them, would trade their firsts for that sort of return at his 5.35 x 4 and 8 x 7.    11 years and when he's done, most likely in the rafters, definitely in the ROR.   We won't know what JB would have signed Miller for or if he'd traded him for yet another waste exchange for the next Gudbranson type or OEL project.   At least we got Garland.   Who brought Joshua in.   And why the heck haven't we had a player like him since Torres anyways.   And why did he not insulate our young players with heavy harder to play against guys.  Dorsett love the heart but just a punching bag and it injured him, why he didn't add another bigger Dorsett back then when they were a dime a dozen who knows.  KB23 the teams enforcer yikes not much, not for when your about to suck eggs worse then the Messiah era.    

Every other time in club history, when we were going to suck and downcylce a revolving door of mean forwards and defenseman came in.  There cheap and keep your picks safe.   Poor EP and Brock, Horvat the heart of the Tin Man. 

Beagle was fine.   Ferland a joke couldn't even insure the deal.   Rousell ok for a short while then meh.     And just couldn't get guys to waive.  NYR had no problem with that.    And they were just as good or almost as good as us for a run of five Lundqvist years including a Game six loss in their final.    Balls enough to write a letter.   Team would of got so much more from Hamhuis, Bieksa and Hansen and maybe Edler would have tucked tail too, 6 for his last contract was downright ugly. 

From where i'm sitting we are luckily to have a mostly drafted core.   Horvat he started with from MG.   That's Hronek.    Enough to make trades, draft some new blood and hopefully make the show.    His drafting was B-, just two many second and third rounders didn't work out, and nothing past the third round but Adam Gaudette.  It's a darn shame Edler was the last impact player third round and beyond.  Odds are in average, you should get on every 8 drafts so they aren't common.   But still that's a couple missed now from two GM's 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, rmok said:

Hoglander a "small" winger? Have you ever watched him play? He is a 'short' winger but he does not play small. 

If all that Hoglander was good at was scoring goals he wouldn't have been a +23 on the season. 

How many of Höglander’s goals were scored when he played on the 4th line against the other teams’ worst players?  +23 playing against the other teams’ worst players?  

He hasn’t proven himself at all in a top 6 role. If Allvin and Tocchet were high on Höglander then why are they spending so much time trying to

upgrade our winger position? Can you explain that?  

The fact is that Tocchet doesn’t really like Höglander. He doesn’t fit his system. Just like Kuzmenko. Expect to see a Höglander trade at some point to upgrade the defence. We have too many wingers now. Someone’s gotta go. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Summer isn't over yet.

Nope… if they end up making a move where Hoglander/Garland are moved out and end up with a top six forward or a top four D (ideally both), then we are pretty set.

I don’t know that Sprong moves the needle at all aside from possibly replacing what Hoglander produces at a slightly cheaper price.  I do have faith in our coaching staff to get the best out of some of these guys… but they don’t have the ability to turn them into high end players.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Sprong

Sherwood-Blueger-Podkolzin/Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais-Juulsen

That is still the roster putting guys where they belong and not playing too high in the lineup.  Swapping in/out between Garland/Sprong/Hoglander/Podkolzin/etc doesn’t change much as they should all be in those 3rd or 4th lines.

If things don’t change then they really need to see if Garland can have chemistry on the Debrusk-Petterson line.  It seems like it could work.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Tocchet.A.Hockey.God said:

There is no way you can complain about the roster make up. This teams forward group is most likely the deepest in the league. 

What would you prefer, what Tor di sign 4 guys to to large amounts and then have nothing for depth players.

Deep (certainly not the deepest as most of thr players we got were bottom end or even healthy scratch players on other teams… and will be playing the same roles on ours) but missing higher end players.  

Still short one top six forward and at least one top four D.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Nope… if they end up making a move where Hoglander/Garland are moved out and end up with a top six forward or a top four D (ideally both), then we are pretty set.

I don’t know that Sprong moves the needle at all aside from possibly replacing what Hoglander produces at a slightly cheaper price.  I do have faith in our coaching staff to get the best out of some of these guys… but they don’t have the ability to turn them into high end players.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Sprong

PDG

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais-Juulsen

That is still the roster putting guys where they belong and not playing too high in the lineup.  Swapping in/out between Garland/Sprong/Hoglander/Podkolzin/etc doesn’t change much as they should all be in those 3rd or 4th lines.

If things don’t change then they really need to see if Garland can have chemistry on the Debrusk-Petterson line.  It seems like it could work.

At the very least it gives the team some options. We aren’t forced to play Suter, Lafferty and PDG in the top 6 anymore. We have better options now. And better wingers for Petey. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Sprong

PDG

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais-Juulsen

It's a no risk deal that sets us up for another deal as you point out so I'm good with it. Anything more and it would have been a mistake.

• Like 1

40+ point scorer for under 1M is great work no matter how you look at it. 

Seems like a "show me" contract, which means we may or may not be able to retain him beyond this coming year if he gels and produces. 

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Man, you really want to go back to the days of consistently finishing bottom 10 in the league making trades like the OEL trade and the Gudbranson trade again, huh?

Do I???? Because you guys are all blind and oblivious to the poorly handled trades/signings/free agents that have reduced the trade chips to choose from and now we’re getting closer to the Lekkermaki’s and Willanders being pawned off for rentals or going balls deep and hoping it’s enough to win a cup with whatever is in return and then our draft position will slide further and further down and the talent pool will continue to thin out and we’ll be back to 2013 in no time. 5 years is what it took Gillis to fuck the future. And he fucked it hard. Benning had to clean this shit hole up and focused on rebuilding the proper way, draft and develop, bring in cup winning experience on mid term deals and build a culture that leads to winning. 
you laugh at the Beagle deal in the rear view and have no clue how important guys like Beagle, Holtby, Miller, Schmidt (SCF) were in helping turn these young kids into true professionals.

look at what Edmonton did for so many years. Threw talent at a fire and hoped to put it out. They never brought a bucket of fucking water to help put that fire out and they destroyed so many god damn high draft picks.

look at CBJ, NJD, ARZ, ANA, EDM, TOR just off the top of my head… how long it took or how long it is still taking these teams to reach that next level. Benning built a core and a culture, he was never trying to win a cup in a day.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Deep (certainly not the deepest as most of thr players we got were bottom end or even healthy scratch players on other teams… and will be playing the same roles on ours) but missing higher end players.  

Still short one top six forward and at least one top four D.

Every team is short one top 6 forward and one top 4 D. The salary cap limits what everyone can do. I mean without a cap surely we keep both Lindholm and Zadorov. 

Florida won the cup with Evan Rodrigues in the top 6. He had less points than Sprong last year. Nikko Mikkola was in their top 4 D. Don’t think he’s any better than Soucy. 

The difference is in the play of the high end guys. If Petey was playing at Barkov’s level we easily make the finals. The difference was literally one player. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Do I???? Because you guys are all blind and oblivious to the poorly handled trades/signings/free agents that have reduced the trade chips to choose from and now we’re getting closer to the Lekkermaki’s and Willanders being pawned off for rentals or going balls deep and hoping it’s enough to win a cup with whatever is in return and then our draft position will slide further and further down and the talent pool will continue to thin out and we’ll be back to 2013 in no time. 5 years is what it took Gillis to fuck the future. And he fucked it hard. Benning had to clean this shit hole up and focused on rebuilding the proper way, draft and develop, bring in cup winning experience on mid term deals and build a culture that leads to winning. 
you laugh at the Beagle deal in the rear view and have no clue how important guys like Beagle, Holtby, Miller, Schmidt (SCF) were in helping turn these young kids into true professionals.

look at what Edmonton did for so many years. Threw talent at a fire and hoped to put it out. They never brought a bucket of fucking water to help put that fire out and they destroyed so many god damn high draft picks.

look at CBJ, NJD, ARZ, ANA, EDM, TOR just off the top of my head… how long it took or how long it is still taking these teams to reach that next level. Benning built a core and a culture, he was never trying to win a cup in a day.

Calm down Anthony. We aren’t trading Lekkerimäki or Willander. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yes the 3rd has to be next season. I’d rather just make the trade. I trust Allvin to get a deal done with Broberg. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he came here on a show me deal because he must like what the brass and Tocchet are making here. 

I think as a Dutchman, he took a discount for the BC bud!

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, rmok said:

Hoglander a "small" winger? Have you ever watched him play? He is a 'short' winger but he does not play small. 

If all that Hoglander was good at was scoring goals he wouldn't have been a +23 on the season. 

Hoglander is tiny but yea you are absolutely correct the guy plays above his size.

This signing gives us a ton of options to see who can settle in and be the best players for Petey. We've got grit and speed a few different ways around , really really nice to see. I would not mess with a third line, they'll be eating everybody's freaking lunch 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

Another lineup option to consider

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Petey - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sprong

Hoglander - Blueger - Sherwood

puke.. ep will be lucky to get 40 points lmao.. he needs a player that can pass and don't hog the puck.. and garland does exactly both.. notice how at the beginning of the season when garland was playing on EP's line.. even though EP was getting all his points along with kuzmenko garland had literally nothing in the first 10 games playing on EP's line? coz those 2 doesn't involve garland at all because they know they ain't getting the puck back from garland.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Devron said:

Haha yeah it’s nothing to get excited about. He was a healthy scratch last year but it’s depth and I’m all for depth 

Huh? He played 76 games last year and had 43 points…..

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Every team is short one top 6 forward and one top 4 D. The salary cap limits what everyone can do. I mean without a cap surely we keep both Lindholm and Zadorov. 

Florida won the cup with Evan Rodrigues in the top 6. He had less points than Sprong last year. Nikko Mikkola was in their top 4 D. Don’t think he’s any better than Soucy. 

The difference is in the play of the high end guys. If Petey was playing at Barkov’s level we easily make the finals. The difference was literally one player. 

Yeah. Once in awhile it’s sobering to look at other teams’ lineups and realize often their entire bottom 6 and 3rd pair are guys I’ve never heard of. Or maybe I know the name but they seem completely meh.  Then look at their stats and, lo and behold, they’re a lot of 20-ish point a season guys. 

Just the fact we can keep the 3rd line together if we wanted to, while having Miller-Boeser and Petey-Debrusk in the top 6 is something that’s pretty rare. 

Same with us having Forbort, a solid NHL vet on the 3rd pair with Desharnais/Juulsen as our 6/7 pieces. That’s a luxury and very good depth. 

On the other hand, it feels like most top teams do have one more high profile offensive talent.. and / or one (or more) 2-3 calibre D man. 

But we also have an elite goalie to boot and an intriguing, unflappable backup. We’re in very good shape. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1