[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

2 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

How come they dont call people from Holland Hollish, or Hollinese?

I am not 100% positive, but I think it has something to do with Germany, aka Deutschland.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

By signing Sprong it allows us to add a 20 goal scorer for free while allowing us to trade a guy like Höglander for more defensive help. So we are adding to the overall team depth. 

No I disagree we needed more scoring in the top 6 as much 

5 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Huh? He played 76 games last year and had 43 points…..

He did, and was a healthy scratch too. Hes been a liability defensively in the past. Good signing, just not a jump for joy one for me. Theres literally no risk. Just not high on the player myself. 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

He did, and was a healthy scratch too. Hes been a liability defensively in the past. Good signing, just not a jump for joy one for me. Theres literally no risk. Just not high on the player myself. 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

He played 76 games of 82, so healthy scratch how many times? Really?  present a good argument and I can reply…

12 hours ago, HKSR said:

I'd put him next to Petey and Debrusk and see what happens... moves Hoglander back to the 4th line where he can feast on weaker competition like he did earlier last year.

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood

I like this as a starting point 

and if any winger is struggling, staples are slipping, things need a refresh there’s so many options it’s great.

what a competitive camp and season it’s going to be for our forward group 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

He played 76 games of 82, so healthy scratch how many times? Really?  present a good argument and I can reply…

I’m not here to argue. Just expressing my opinion. I find it quite interesting this year. Looking at the signings and having a neutral point of view like it’s not the team I cheer for. I used to be excited about every move but I’ve changed my perspective. People get a little uptight if you don’t agree 100% with this management. So it’s kinda like being on the other side. 

I am excited to see how it all plays out and hey maybe I’m wrong and Sprong fits like a glove, that would be cool 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’m not here to argue. Just expressing my opinion. I find it quite interesting this year. Looking at the signings and having a neutral point of view like it’s not the team I cheer for. I used to be excited about every move but I’ve changed my perspective. People get a little uptight if you don’t agree 100% with this management. So it’s kinda like being on the other side. 

I am excited to see how it all plays out and hey maybe I’m wrong and Sprong fits like a glove, that would be cool 

I’m not arguing either. You have an opinion that I happen to disagree with, that’s all. I guess I can’t understand how someone can’t be excited about signing a consecutive 40 point scorer with an overall  +8  for under 1 million who has not been ‘healthy scratched’ as you stated. I just don’t understand your POV.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Some one needs to start "Jim Benning was the greatest GM ever " thread so people can go talk about his greatness there..

I'd like to read Sprong posts in the Slr

Sprong thread.. 

Great work JR PA.  I'm loving every move they've made this summer.

Yes, who are these detractors. We shal seek them out….

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Captkirk888 said:

Hogs is perfectly fine in a 4th line roll eating the comps, why would they trade that away? Also when you personally talked to Mr. Tocchet, did he share this view? Asking for a friend lol

Yes, I did speak with Rick...   😉

We have lots of wingers now.  Many who can play a true 4th line role.  Not sure Hoglander is at his highest and best use in that role.  He is a good trade chip right now as a 24 goal scorer on a cheap contract.  Knowing Allvin, I can see him using Hogalnder to upgrade the defence.  Forbort is nice but can't play a full season.  And Soucy is a boderline top 4 guy.  So IMO we need a LHD who can play in the top 4 and even top 4 at times.

Hoglander for Broberg is just so much of a perfect trade.  But I don't think Edmonton would want Hoglander.  I could also see Hoglander packaged with Poolman to free up that $2.5 million in cap space.  That would be huge.  Would allow us to weaponize our cap space either at the beginning of the season or at the deadline...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have lots of wingers now.

So, as a result, it now looks like we're just going to wing it next season.

Ok, ok ... seeing myself out. 😉

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I did speak with Rick...   😉

We have lots of wingers now.  Many who can play a true 4th line role.  Not sure Hoglander is at his highest and best use in that role.  He is a good trade chip right now as a 24 goal scorer on a cheap contract.  Knowing Allvin, I can see him using Hogalnder to upgrade the defence.  Forbort is nice but can't play a full season.  And Soucy is a boderline top 4 guy.  So IMO we need a LHD who can play in the top 4 and even top 4 at times.

Hoglander for Broberg is just so much of a perfect trade.  But I don't think Edmonton would want Hoglander.  I could also see Hoglander packaged with Poolman to free up that $2.5 million in cap space.  That would be huge.  Would allow us to weaponize our cap space either at the beginning of the season or at the deadline...

Yup, lots of wingers, not sure if that would weigh out at a ton (or tonne at that). With all the new additions it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I still think keep Hogs, Poolman is a wash, even cap bottom teams are not interested? Or it would have happened by now.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So, as a result, it now looks like we're just going to wing it next season.

Ok, ok ... seeing myself out. 😉

Wing and a prayer…..

15 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I’m not arguing either. You have an opinion that I happen to disagree with, that’s all. I guess I can’t understand how someone can’t be excited about signing a consecutive 40 point scorer with an overall  +8  for under 1 million who has not been ‘healthy scratched’ as you stated. I just don’t understand your POV.

I thought he was, down the stretch with Detroit. Why didn’t anyone else sign him or Detroit re sign him? Obviously there’s holes or something we’re missing here as he basically signed a 1 year show me deal. I said it was a good signing but nothing to parade about for me anyways 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fuzzy said:

To me Garland is a square peg in a round hole. He severely limits what the coaching staff can do with this roster because of his lack of utility. He makes way too much money for what he brings. I would rather give his ice time to Hoglander or Podkolzin and use his cap to get another D or use it for a in-season trade.

I don't hate the Sprong signing, as you said it's a low cost move. If he can maintain similar point totals to Garland at a fraction of the cost, then why keep Garland? 

I agree...

Despite Garland being part of a great 3rd line, it is a 3rd line...

Garland has been tried all over the line up, and except for the end of season short visit to Peteys line, he never stuck... 

Next season money needs to be found, and I am sure Garland will be at the front of the queue, when the cuts have to be made... especially when money has to be found for Brock. 

Edited by spook007
Spelling 🙄
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

exactly and the work those two did are pretty much the same impact that JB did himself. If you look at the players that came up through the system and were acquired, its truly a very comparable body of work.

Demko+Silovs = Luongo+Schneider

Miller = Kesler

Boeser+Petey = twins 

Hughes = Edler 10.0

etc

How long will you continue talking about a GM as a scout? 

Benning was a disaster in every area thta belongs to a GM.

Say one thing he was really good at as a GM.

Communication?

Building contacts?

Being proffessional? 
Strong ethics? 
Talk to players? 🤣

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

How long will you continue talking about a GM as a scout? 

Benning was a disaster in every area thta belongs to a GM.

Say one thing he was really good at as a GM.

Communication?

Building contacts?

Being proffessional? 
Strong ethics? 
Talk to players? 🤣

RFA contract signings he did a great job for the most part. 
That is it. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Devron said:

I thought he was, down the stretch with Detroit. Why didn’t anyone else sign him or Detroit re sign him? Obviously there’s holes or something we’re missing here as he basically signed a 1 year show me deal. I said it was a good signing but nothing to parade about for me anyways 

It is zero risk as contract can be buried. 
JR has always collected a bunch of fast, usually big forwards and see how they fit around the stars. 
This is another option of decent sized fast forward with some skill. 
See if Tocch can get him to play in his system, if not Manny can, no risk. 
Sometimes it is just about fit and he gives us another option to find good fits with our core. 

• Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

RFA contract signings he did a great job for the most part. 
That is it. 

That Virtanen deal was clearly amazing.  

Also not signing the two stars to max contracts which would have been in the $8 million range at the time most definitely isn’t biting the team in the ass by having bridge deals coming due when the player has all the leverage and at much higher rates.

Boeser didn’t play up to his contract for most of it.

Which RFA signings exactly were great?