[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

14 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Yes and thats why OEL's cap hit now is 3.5M 🤣

Yes, Mikheyev was a fault but the OEL trade a much bigger one.

But now its enough with this stupid shit Benning has done with this trade.

Have a nice day

lol he signed a 3.5mil deal when he could have taken league min after he was just fully paid out. I don’t see you crying about Garland. I don’t see people upset that he made our 3rd line into the best 3rd line in the league that needed to be taken seriously and was a major reason we were considered a contender because of our scoring depth and what that 3rd line was able to do while our 2nd line did fuck all.

lmao gets paid out has 97mil in the fuckin bank and still wouldn’t sign for league min even after winning a cup. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 3

Wowwww... did some digging into Youtube about our newest Canuck.... he still speaks fluent Dutch even though he moved to Canada at age 7..... grew up in Quebec so he must be fluent in French too!! Proud of this boy staying true to his roots!!

• Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

lol he signed a 3.5mil deal when he could have taken league min after he was just fully paid out. I don’t see you crying about Garland. I don’t see people upset that he made our 3rd line into the best 3rd line in the league that needed to be taken seriously and was a major reason we were considered a contender because of our scoring depth and what that 3rd line was able to do while our 2nd line did fuck all.

lmao gets paid out has 97mil in the fuckin bank and still wouldn’t sign for league min even after winning a cup. 

One last thing

Guenther over Garland anyday. Garland is overpaid for 3rd line winger and Guenther produced like a 2nd line winger and is still on his ELC.

Edited by German Canuck
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

You probably shouldn’t call someone a little child whilst resorting to childish name calling. 

I appreciate this statement.

Unfortunately, @filthy animal has no interest or capability in a real debate because he goes after a person rather than the arguments. I'm pretty sure I've talked about the horrible drafting, which he even admits in another post, lol.

The fact that you state you are "anti-Benning" makes you incredibly biased. Gillis and Benning have almost nothing to show as GMs and they aren't getting GMing jobs anytime soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I like Garland, but he is not being paid 3rd line money and a luxury (What were wingers on SC teams on 3rd line paid)?

Agreed... I'd flip him for a Kesler-like centre any day to make our squad even more well rounded and ready for a long playoff run! 

I just don't find Suter or Blueger convincing enough as our 3C at the moment....

And to upgrade our D, it'd be nice to pick up Kylington or Klingberg too on a cheap deal!!

35 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

I like Garland, but he is not being paid 3rd line money and a luxury (What were wingers on SC teams on 3rd line paid)?

Be patient and wait out Necas being available.

Trade Garland and Hoglander for him and upgrade the top 6.

Debrusk Miller Boeser

Joshua Pettersson Necas

Heinen Blueger Sherwood

Podkolzin Suter Sprong

39 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

One last thing

Guenther over Garland anyday. Garland is overpaid for 3rd line winger and Guenther produced like a 2nd line winger and is still on his ELC.

Not denying he’s more skilled. But role players are essential.

hows skill working for Toronto?

3-4 lines of scoring>Guenther

Edited by AnthonyG

15 hours ago, Provost said:

Deep (certainly not the deepest as most of thr players we got were bottom end or even healthy scratch players on other teams… and will be playing the same roles on ours) but missing higher end players.  

Still short one top six forward and at least one top four D.

You don't seem to factor in the cap, no team has 4 top 4 Dmen and 6 top 6 forwards and a true starting goalie. Most of the top teams have 2 of 3 or a mixture of the 3. That's how I see the Canucks are built. We have a true starting goalie. High end #1 Dman. 2 top 15 if not top 10 centers and a top end winger.  To me that is balance. Then the Canucks have Hronek he was 21st in dmen scoring and a plus 33 on a bottom 3rd team that would be their #1 Dman. Think of it this way Hughes and Hronek make up 3 top 4 dmen.  The Canucks forward group has the possibility of having 9 20 plus goal scores. Miller, EP40, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Debrusk, Joshue, Sprong and Heinen. 3 of them Miller EP40 and Boeser could hit 40 and Debrusk with top line mins with EP40 could hit 30-35.  

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Guenther, that 2nd round pick and all of the cap space back from OEL's buyout than Garland.  If you take out Garland plus OEL's buyout, that frees up $8 million this year and almost $10 million next year.  We could have re-signed Zadorov to complete our defence plus still had millions left over to get another centre or winger.  Guenther could replace Garland on the 3rd line for $4 million less...

Oh that's a no brainer. There is absolutely no viable argument in my mind to justify the OEL trade. It was one of the worst trades in the franchises history and will cement Bennings legacy.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DexM94 said:

Some concerns about his attitude in the locker room, and this is why in despite of his production he couldn’t cash in. 

It seems true he hasn't been well liked in any locker room. This is kind of a last chance for him he has skill but could easily find himself on the outside looking in. Shades of Grabner situationally. 

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather have Guenther, that 2nd round pick and all of the cap space back from OEL's buyout than Garland.  If you take out Garland plus OEL's buyout, that frees up $8 million this year and almost $10 million next year.  We could have re-signed Zadorov to complete our defence plus still had millions left over to get another centre or winger.  Guenther could replace Garland on the 3rd line for $4 million less...

So you realize to remove the buyout penalty, you need to revert the trade which gives you about 12 mil in cap space. So you ride out the LE Beagle and Roussel contracts, then you go to free agency and you have nearly 12 mil dollars in cap space. That cap space you have is getting spent, you will add term regardless and more term than you had with Garland and OEL.

We narrowly missed playoffs in 2021-22 and that was because Pettersson was not pulling his weight. OEL 100% lived up to his role. He and Myers were. A  Top 5 shutdown pair in the entire league. The following season OEL played through an ankle sprain and was split up from Myers for most of that season for some brain dead reason. 
gets healthy, goes and wins a cup. 9 goals 23 assists 32pts +10

His defensive numbers… on the ice for a total of of 62 goals in all situations, 40 at  5v5

4.0DPS 6.29PS

compared to Zadorov 2.5DPS and 3.4PS

Offensively and defensively better than Zadorov by a substantial amount. 

I don't understand how anyone would be unhappy with the Sprong signing.  The contract is

fantastic and the player has some untapped potential that could end up as a lot of offence.

He is the perfect placeholder for Lekky; especially for a team that has such limited cap space.

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/19941/Daniel_Sprong

"A tremendous skater, he was a high-scoring forward in junior hockey and the AHL, but is still trying

to put all the pieces together as he enters his NHL prime. He is a creative playmaker who also has a

good shot and can finish at the net. Is excellent in shootouts. Still needs to add strength to win more puck

battles and create additional space. Consistency eludes him."

Long Range Potential: Scoring winger with room to grow.

Yes, he has weaknesses in his game, for sure.  Given the success that the coaching team has had with

other players recently, there is a good chance he can improve his (defensive) game.

JR drafted him, while both Tocchet and Gonchar are familiar with him (as assistant coaches) during

DS's early years.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DexM94 said:

Some concerns about his attitude in the locker room, and this is why in despite of his production he couldn’t cash in. 

Same thing was said about Kane.

These things are often exaggerated.

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we're moving Garland, we need a top 4 defenceman in return.

You’re not likely getting a top 4 D man for Garland.

I would take a top 6 upgrade though.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re not likely getting a top 4 D man for Garland.

I would take a top 6 upgrade though.

Unproven defensive prospect that's close to NHL ready?

Edited by Ghostsof1915

How do the lines shake up now? The defensive play of Sprong leads me to believe he will not be a Toch guy and find it hard to play with Petey un less it's an Ozone shift start. Depth cheap scoring though. I can see this being a tough camp for players pushing for top six roles and bottom six roles. A lot of options for the coaches in the forward group. Guys like Hoglander, Suter, Heinen, Sprong,Joshua have to earn those two spots with (Miller/Boeser) and (Petey/Debrusk) be blown away if Pods makes the top six now at any point this season. Would love to be wrong about that though! 

miller Boeser #1 

Heinen/Joshua/Hoglander/Podz

Debrusk Petey #2 

Hoglander/Sprong/Heinen/Podz

Blueger/Suter  Garland #3 

Joshua/Heinen/Hogs/Podz

I don't see Sprong on the #3 line, that pushes Garland up, so it's probably Peteys line or the 4th line. 

Line #4 

Blueger/Suter + Sherwood

Sprong/Aman/PDG/Podz/Karlson

I don't see Hoglander down here unless Sprong really turns a corner and plays a co.plete game. 

52 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Oh that's a no brainer. There is absolutely no viable argument in my mind to justify the OEL trade. It was one of the worst trades in the franchises history and will cement Bennings legacy.

Who wants to acquire a top 4 dman and 20goal 50pt player.

• Sad 1