[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

My only issue is what message are we sending the farm. After the season Alvin talked of several of our guys on the farm having greater opportunity this year. I do hope that still remains true.  

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Combover said:

He Spent 8 years defending every stupid move (age gap)(stay competative (which never happened))

followed making excuses (hindsight) when they didn’t work

and deflecting  ( he started with nothing)

why stop now.
Just keep Pretending to understand a plan that never existed .

JB was given every opportunity more than once to fix this team and he proved he wasn’t capable more than once.he was a disaster.

But i am confused.Who do i trust now.?Him or other 1380 guys here?Life is not fair

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

OEL was bought out, no one is paying any inflation on any deal with him or ANY previously bought out player. They already have pocketed their money. He is able to take a deal worth less because that would be the equivalent of what his contract value would be at the end of that deal. his 35+ years. 

He's technically paid out til 2029 or whatever it is. They guy has made 97mil to date with that buyout.

Buddy do the research, not only that it was even talked about on television how god damn good OEL and Myers were as a shutdown pair.

I did the research I compared it to EVERY OTHER PAIR IN THE LEAGUE its on the old forums, they were legitimately top 5 in the fucking league as a shut down pair, dzone distribution, goals against, reducing high danger attempts and overall scoring attempts etc etc. I did the homework when I heard it on TV I was very fucking curious to know just how effective they truly were.

Cole is 100% a great Dman, no discrediting him whatsoever, but OELs first season without injury 4.3DPS. Ian Cole, 3.4DPS. Ian Cole's defensive point shares can suck OELs left nut. OEL dropped significantly in 2022-23 because of his high ankle sprain which his DPS was 0.2. You know what it was last season in Florida? 4.0.

13goals against all playoffs for OEL. 9 at 5v5. Regular season 62 total, 40 goals against 5v5 total. 

Ian Cole spent 123minutes total with Friedman at all strengths.

OEL played with a HIGH ANKLE SPRAIN ALL SEASON in 2022-23. Yea his numbers are gunna hurt. But prior to that he had incredible numbers.

Brock had mental distractions and injuries and lets also not forget he lead the team in 2020-21 in points.

He finally came to terms with the loss of his father. 2022-23 was the first year without his dad, all the pain and suffering and mental hardship leading up to his dads final breath was not the end of his battle. It also meant every birthday, thanksgiving, christmas, family thing, fathers day. All of that shit was still ahead for him to have to come to terms with. A constant reminder all year long. He finally came to terms with it after getting through all those firsts without his dad and the monkey was off the back.

OEL wasn’t picked because he would be a shutdown guy… 

But why don’t you talk about the things a GM is paid to do?

Tell us what Benning was good at without talking about scouting…

22 minutes ago, Devron said:

Yeah it will be interesting we have 3 first line forwards and about 9 middle players lol. Good depth but almost like we are still missing a top 6 player. But hey that the cap world and maybe it will be Sprong man who knows 

Miller, petey, boeser, Debrusk are all legit top 6 guys.  Lots of good complimentary guys to fill in the rest of the top 6.  Bottom 6 likely the best in the league.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

My only issue is what message are we sending the farm. After the season Alvin talked of several of our guys on the farm having greater opportunity this year. I do hope that still remains true.  

It's the opposite for me really. All these signings will give guys like Lekkerimaki, Bains, Karlsson, Raty etc., more time to marinate and develop properly, which was one of Rutherford's main points of emphasis when he first came here.

Now instead of forcing those guys into roles they might not be ready for yet, they can come up when needed to fill in for injuries. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Inspires the farm players not to work out in Bali..

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning was fired before that $12 million became available.  So I would have had full confidence that Rutherford would have spent it wisely...

Okay and.. Nonetheless that 12 mil is getting spent. Heres your list of 2022 NHL free agents to choose from

NHL's top 30 free agents of 2022 - Yahoo Sports

pretty fuckin weak and not many moved teams. Kadri would likely be someone who we would have wound up with. NOPE no thanks. Sure we could have possibly signed Zadorov, but look at his history of contracts, lots of 1 year deals.

Ultimately has that trade prevented us from being labeled a contender? Has it hurt us so bad that we went from a mediocre season to a contender? The biggest fucking problem is the buyout now and yes thats hindsight 20/20 if you werent paying close enough attention to the last 4 years of this teams progression, the buyout was a mistake the moment it happened. 

I think you know quite well that I have been a die hard deep supporter of this team through the last several years and posted TONS of positive research on stats trying to keep everyone here positive about the upcoming seasons year after year. I said top 3 in the div top 10 in the league before the season started. People scoffed, but I have been constantly researching other teams, looking into stats and diving down that rabbit hole that has provided me so much more Indepth knowledge and understanding of just how good this team has been the whole time. It just took all of our stars to play like stars at the same time from the drop of the hat to the finish line. Even though Pettersson struggled later in the season, the team was rolling and the depth had stepped up to help cover his loss in production. I've gone to bat for every single guy on this team that has struggled and pointed out countless positives. While everyone focuses solely on the negatives and constantly spews negativity over and over, I've done everything to push the positivity. I'm just sick and fucking tired of seeing people bitch and moan and bring up shit that is no longer relevant. The buyout is more relevant than the trade, we have a direct cap penalty that has a direct impact on our ability to build on a deeper contending roster and we now have contract situations to navigate while this penalty is in effect. 

12 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Good for you, Gillis did fuck all except fuck the future and your awful eyes can’t tell that you are watching and cheering on a team with Jim Bennings handprints alllllll over it

Who was integral to last seasons regular season success and post season run?

Pettersson (for most of the season and was dragged down by the dead weight on each wing) Miller, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, Silovs, Myers and Garland who made Joshua into what he is today. 

Whose ass got carried? Hronek for over half a season and the playoffs

Lindholm

Mikheyev

Kuzmenko while he was here.

You got issues my friend

You should get checked out. And I don't mean that as an insult but, as in seriously you should consider getting some help

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

Still cant believe we got Sprong for sub 1 million lmao

next task is to move out the poolman contract and accumulate a fk ton of cap space by the deadline

we could STILL add an elite piece if we go down that road

just unbelievable work by Allvin and the chipmunks

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, AAA said:

Can someone please explain how moving out Poolmans contract help us if we aren't in LTIR yet?

Right now, it's acting like a cap penalty (sort of) because he's not coming back, but we need to count his salary against our cap.  Once we run out of cap space and put him on LTIR, we can utilize most (if not all) of his cap hit for "replacement" players for the duration that he's on LTIR.

Moving him results in that "dead cap" being moved as well, freeing up the actual cap space.

Or something like that.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

Check in 24 hours later…..

still going,

Gillis!……Benning!…..Gillis!….. Benning!

all I know is my dad can beat up your dad! 

This is more complicated then if Trump would start to watch hockey.God forbid cheer for Canucks lol

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning was fired before that $12 million became available.  So I would have had full confidence that Rutherford would have spent it wisely...

Cmon man back off.Guy is deep thinker.Look how many words he use.Cant scroll fast enough ,how big his deep post is.All what you can offer is one number in one sentence.If we loose him,what we suppose to do?Think of future

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

Tocchet has gone on record that he believes Hoglander is most effective when playing in the 10-12 minute per game range. It's the way his motor runs. He revs super high. But with that kind of player you get diminishing returns when you overplay them - just like with a motor that starts overheating. 

I lile Hogs a numch but his most effective slot may not be on the top two lines.

I think you have things mixed up. Garland didn't play with Petey to start the season.    He played some beside Petey when Joshua was hurt late in the season and actually was fairly effective with him, as much as anyone could be when Petey was in his ineffective slump.

Garland drives play and I think he can work beside Petey especially since he stopped doing all the spin o ramas. I might be wrong but I think its worth a look.

what are you talking about.. garland literally started the season with kuzmenko and Pettersson.. coz mikheyev was injured 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

It's the opposite for me really. All these signings will give guys like Lekkerimaki, Bains, Karlsson, Raty etc., more time to marinate and develop properly, which was one of Rutherford's main points of emphasis when he first came here.

Now instead of forcing those guys into roles they might not be ready for yet, they can come up when needed to fill in for injuries. 

Karlsson will be 25 this year, Bains 23 will be 24 in Jan, Podz 23 how long shall they cook think they'll be ready by 30?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

Nobody from the farm showed us much when they were brought up last year so that forced this and other signings. Aman was also a disappointment and had to be replaced by someone who could chip in offensively. 

ps fk Benning fk Gillis fk OEL fk Messier fk Green 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Karlsson will be 25 this year, Bains 23 will be 24 in Jan, Podz 23 how long shall they cook think they'll be ready by 30?

Joshua was 27 last year when he came out of the oven. But point taken

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1