Tkachuk          Barkov       Reinhart

Verhaeghe      Bennett     Rodrigues

Luostarinen    Lundell       Nosek

Gadjovich       Boqvist       Greer

Forsling       Ekblad

Mikkola       Schmidt

Balinskis     Kulikov

Bjornfot      Boqvist

This is actually their team next season.  They lost Montour, OEL, Stenlund, Tarasenko, Okposo, Lorentz, Lomberg.  Pretty sure we can beat them this season, especially with a healthy Demko and Boeser...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I honestly think Luongo for Bertuzzi (not considered a fleecing to such a degree) is about on par with Neely for Pederson.  I think Pederson was actually a better player for the Canucks than Bertuzzi was after the Canucks.

What would the others be...  I think Joe Thornton for Marco Sturm is an all time great robbery.  Early in their careers, each of Marcel Dionne and Phil Esposito were traded for players nowhere near their level, but good players.  I think the Bruins actually got Phil Esposito AND Ken Hodge Sr. (almost a Hall of Famer) in that one trade.

Dominik Hasek acquired at the start of his career for Stephane Beauregard (decent backup) was pretty big.  Although the Blackhawks then had an embarrassment of riches in net (Belfour at the start of his career etc.) which was the same situation for the Islanders c. 1980 (Smith and Resch and maybe even Melanson on the way) which was why we got King Richard for literally nothing more than swapping places in the 5th round of the next draft.

Luongo trade sure was an awesome one too.   Pederson wasn't chopped liver so good call.   Neely went on to become something special.   Believe that's why he's on every list of most lopsided trades all-time, he's not near the top but on there.    The one that blew the doors off was Ken Dryden.    Imagine the horror Bruins fans must of faced, when this gangly former draft pick, comes in and completely stonewalls them as a rookie, on a MTL team that wasn't supposed to even make the postseason, and begged Beliveau to not retire and do one more season.   It's also a testament to how good he was as well.   Bruins had one of the best teams ever assembled, and lost a sure cup, to Dryden in 1970.    They got back 3 prospects that never played one game.    More on that lore,  Dryden wasn't even supposed to play, MTL had thrown the towel in before the series, and decided to play Dryden just to see what he could do!    Imagine that.  Probably the most unlikely cup and run in league history.    Would be like Makarov and Irbe, beating the wings in the early 90's after they set a new record for best regular season (in more games) and won the cup.  

As for Neely, was always proud he was once a Canuck, but when he was ripping it up and scoring, knocked guys over, scoring at a goal a game pace, 50 in 50'd himself after coming back from injury, it was hard to fathom what our early - mid 90's teams would have looked like with him playing with a very good and then great forward group as is.    What a player.   Was also a fan of Borque (who wasn't), Oats...that team was pretty special.    Hard to believe they peaked in 89-90.    At the time looked like they were to become the main power in the East.   Without injuries maybe they could have challenged NYR's and PIT.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

As for Neely, was always proud he was once a Canuck, but when he was ripping it up and scoring, knocked guys over, scoring at a goal a game pace, 50 in 50'd himself after coming back from injury, it was hard to fathom what our early - mid 90's teams would have looked like with him playing with a very good and then great forward group as is.    What a player.   Was also a fan of Borque (who wasn't), Oats...that team was pretty special.    Hard to believe they peaked in 89-90.    At the time looked like they were to become the main power in the East.   Without injuries maybe they could have challenged NYR's and PIT.  

In 1990 the Bruins did an all time great rental trade getting Brian Propp and Dave Poulin from Philadelphia, where they had led that team to multiple finals.  Had to give up the Rat Linseman for Poulin but for Propp it was a 2nd round pick who ended up never playing a game.  Propp was off to Minnesota the next year...getting them to the finals too.  Ray Bourque in 1989-90 was unbelievable though...best season of his career and I think lost the Hart Trophy to Messier by something like one vote.  Moog and Lemelin were a great tandem.

Linseman like Propp was an unsung playoff legend though...120 career playoff points.  On the decline in 1990 but had been a huge part of the Cup run in 1988.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty much every team is short at least one top 6 forward.  Even Florida had Evan Rodrigues in the top 6 and he had less points last year than Sprong.  Sam Bennett is their 2C.  He also had less points than Sprong last year.  So people saying we ONLY have 4 legit top 6 guys is a misnomer.  Florida only has 4 legit top 6 guys as well if you look at their point totals from last season.

If we can get both Miller and Petey to hit 100 points next season, and Garland keeps producing on the 3rd line, we shouldn't have an issue with scoring and we could have Sprong and a guy like Podkolzin in the top 6, or Heinen, and we'd be fine...

What a balancing act Allvin is attempting with this roster. A young core, of now vets, complimented with a solid 3rd line, a d-side core that is solid and 2 goalies who could lead the NHL. PA has resigned Joshua and added some size and physicality on his bottom 6. The only remaining question I have is the 2RD and whether Meyers can handle that role on a playoff team? He did a nice job last year. Does Wylander come direct to the NHL next spring and have impact? 

Sprong is a nice signing because of the CAP and his upside on the score sheet. Managing the CAP and timeline for a roster that seriously challenges for a CUP is a tough job. Rutherford and Allvin and Tocchet have all brought a level of professionalism to the Canucks that fans should all applaud. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

21 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yet another discussion turned into a defensive of Benning by, who I can only assume, his wife or son. 

Summer Solstice GIF by Yevbel

Hoping RT can get the best out of Sprong. I do have some concerns about his style of play, much like Kuzmenko. But at under a million is extremely low risk, potentially high reward.

One of only like 3 goofball posters I have on ignore. Just utter like childish posts, so boldly out to lunch, and yet completely intolerant and insulting to others. I just love the old Myers OEL pairing was the best ever blah blah blah something something Benning ...  like how can somebody possibly be so hockey blind while convinced they're right (wife or son :frantic:) ... it's really unbelievable.

Anyways, I'm down with Sprong for a buri-able contract. Could be alright but I also have a feeling he's going to be very frustrating for fans and coaches alike. He's probably better than Pods or PDG at this point ... let them battle it out at camp. I was/am a big Pods supporter but his time is growing short to remain a Canuck.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, bh90 said:

You got issues my friend

You should get checked out. And I don't mean that as an insult but, as in seriously you should consider getting some help

I’m not the one stuck in the past, maybe consider all these whiners here who should get checked out for help. Adults crying over shit that happened years ago and can’t let it go. Like a bunch of jealous ex girlfriends who can’t move on lmao. I honestly feel bad for these people who‘s social circle is an online forum where they are 1) clueless to facts  and 2) nothing but negative. Pretty sad. I provide stats and actual facts, these whiners just provide tears nonstop crying over shit that is no longer relevant. Banning is gone, move the fuck on, Gillass can’t land an NHL job for a multitude of reasons, quit praising a guy who didn’t build a contender and threw away the future.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Haha 1

While I like that ppl are excited, I don't know much about him except he put up a decent amount of points in limited time under sheltered minutes. The knock on him is his defensive side of the game and attention to detail. 

Besides the obvious difference in salary, what is it about him that made the management sign him when guys like Kuzmenko didn't work out? Is there optimism that RT and co can help take his game to the next level and be a dependable player that doesn't need to be sheltered as much? 

53 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One of only like 3 goofball posters I have on ignore. Just utter like childish posts, so boldly out to lunch, and yet completely intolerant and insulting to others. I just love the old Myers OEL pairing was the best ever blah blah blah something something Benning ...  like how can somebody possibly be so hockey blind while convinced they're right (wife or son :frantic:) ... it's really unbelievable.

Anyways, I'm down with Sprong for a buri-able contract. Could be alright but I also have a feeling he's going to be very frustrating for fans and coaches alike. He's probably better than Pods or PDG at this point ... let them battle it out at camp. I was/am a big Pods supporter but his time is growing short to remain a Canuck.

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The only factor that stands out for me is that Garland has such a high motor and unbelievable compete level. He's fearless against bigger d and always ready to scuff it up. A Tocchet type of player I think. This is an x factor when comparing Gar to the new guys.

ps fk Benning fk Gillis fk OEL fk Messier fk Green

He does for sure. It's not a situation of dumping a bad player, just reallocate cap to other needs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

That’s almost $5M to upgrade D.

Maybe Garland + 1st for SEA Larsson (RHD at $4M cap hit).

Would suck to play against Garland so many times but I think Canucks would benefit with an upgrade on D.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

13 minutes ago, BPA said:

That’s almost $5M to upgrade D.

Maybe Garland + 1st for SEA Larsson (RHD at $4M cap hit).

Would suck to play against Garland so many times but I think Canucks would benefit with an upgrade on D.

I suspect that they would have to do it in two steps, clearing Garland first but yep.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My personal expectation is that they will likely move Podz, and try and move the Poolman contract as well. If they move both, and for waiver reasons start with Patera as the backup to start the season, that leaves 3.6M in cap space for a puck moving LD. I'm not sure if moving more players beyond that is the direction they move in, and I could see Allvin making an additional move with maybe 2 picks and a minor contract instead.

As far as the Sprong signing goes I am cautiously a fan of it. For a lineup I am on the side of starting the season by promoting Garland and Joshua to the top 6 with Debrusk and Boeser.

Some combination of:
Joshua - Petey - Garland
Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Due to their defensive weaknesses I would like to see Hogz and Sprong on separate lines in the bottom 6 as Suter and Blueger have the defensive strengths to hopefully mask these deficiencies. They will also see weaker competition which is where someone like Sprong is likely to tally his goals, and as Tocchet said of Hoglander moving off the 4th line last year, it "lost its identity". Maybe returning him there will bring that identity back.

Something like:
Heinen-Blueger-Sprong
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood

2 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

I’m not the one stuck in the past, maybe consider all these whiners here who should get checked out for help. Adults crying over shit that happened years ago and can’t let it go. Like a bunch of jealous ex girlfriends who can’t move on lmao. I honestly feel bad for these people who‘s social circle is an online forum where they are 1) clueless to facts  and 2) nothing but negative. Pretty sad. I provide stats and actual facts, these whiners just provide tears nonstop crying over shit that is no longer relevant. Banning is gone, move the fuck on, Gillass can’t land an NHL job for a multitude of reasons, quit praising a guy who didn’t build a contender and threw away the future.

9 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

What made her kick you out?

LOL Anthony doesn't know what he's talking about. Judging by the amount of posts he's had this weekend, its clear that he probably has NEVER had a girlfriend if he spends on his time on this forum during a nice sunny weekend.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1