[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

Just now, Gurn said:

I'm often amazed at the shit people are allowed to post, as long as it agrees with the over all 'group think'.

Names, belittlement, ridicule.

Rules and civility be damned.

I hear you but regulation is a slippery slope.  I just put individuals on ignore. Personally I don't take offense to anyone's opinion here when it relates to hockey.... A game.  I put people on ignore that have, in my view toxic maddening beliefs and or opinions when it comes to real world subjects.  Be it religious, political or civil rights etc.  Otherwise we're just talking hockey whatever. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Like the article suggests, even with Petey and Debrusk you’d want to shelter their time if Sprong is on the ice.  You need all 5 guys engaged to play defence and I doubt they’d want to carry the guy long them.

The trick will be if Tocchet can get through to him - he’s not just a hard-ass, he’s a great communicator. And it’s a low risk bet to see if he can.  If not, he’ll be used sparingly on the 4th line and up when there’s injuries or a need to generate. That can still have value. 

It also looks like he has issues around laziness away from the play. Miller should be a good influence on him to correct that and keep him engaged and accountable. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Like the article suggests, even with Petey and Debrusk you’d want to shelter their time if Sprong is on the ice.  You need all 5 guys engaged to play defence and I doubt they’d want to carry the guy long them.

The trick will be if Tocchet can get through to him - he’s not just a hard-ass, he’s a great communicator. And it’s a low risk bet to see if he can.  If not, he’ll be used sparingly on the 4th line and up when there’s injuries or a need to generate. That can still have value. 

Guess we'll see, I don't think he's so old and set in his ways that he isn't capable of passable defense

The key is getting him to put in an effort imo, all guys aren't defensive studs but you still want to see an effort 

I argued this earlier in the month/year, I think you can also get away with having a weaker defensive player when the rest of the roster is solid, so long as he's contributing offensively 

Sprong is no Tarasenko, but we saw just that when Florida added him at the deadline

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

It won't upset me too much if they move Garland, however he's been very good of late. Someone Tocchet can trust in most situations. The size is always

going to be a detriment though and if you could find someone (hopefully they already have), with the same effort level, that would be great!

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

Yeah, me too. I've taken a lot of heat for suggesting moving Garland in the past. After last year I kept pretty quiet lol. He had a terrific year and for me performance matters so I commend him. I was never against Garland he just always had one of the most movable contracts and played lower in the line-up, making his contract a luxury for our team.

You would have to think this management group hopes they can get Sprong playing Canuck hockey and if he buys in no reason to think he couldn't level up. He's great at flying down the wing, picking up loose pucks, and finishing. Get him forechecking and backchecking, and voila!

Next year will be just as tough on management. Boeser is up, Garland has one more year. Decisions need to be made on RW.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, me too. I've taken a lot of heat for suggesting moving Garland in the past. After last year I kept pretty quiet lol. He had a terrific year and for me performance matters so I commend him. I was never against Garland he just always had one of the most movable contracts and played lower in the line-up, making his contract a luxury for our team.

You would have to think this management group hopes they can get Sprong playing Canuck hockey and if he buys in no reason to think he couldn't level up. He's great at flying down the wing, picking up loose pucks, and finishing. Get him forechecking and backchecking, and voila!

Next year will be just as tough on management. Boeser is up, Garland has one more year. Decisions need to be made on RW.

I'd like them to re-up Brock, hopefully something reasonable happens there. 

From the video I saw, it looks like Sprong is either a really lazy back checker (which won't fly even in camp here), or just is kind of deer in the headlights on positioning? but Myers also sucked, so I'm just hoping a simple plan works for him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

A Garland trade wouldn't surprise me, he was quite good for us on that third line last season but that's also exactly why one can assume he's rehabilitated his trade value; which is a funny thing to say considering he put up 52 and 46 point seasons the two seasons prior to last season's 47 points. 

That's top six production outside the top six, but he's done it as a third liner as opposed to as a top six guy. Impressive, but perhaps a luxury. 

Even if we were to move him, I think the additions of Sprong, Heinen, and DeBrusk would more than make up for any loss of offense. 

Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, and DeBrusk are our bona fide top six guys and we have a few complimentary players in Sprong, Heinen, Suter, Joshua, and maybe Hoglander and Podkolzin. Any of those guys could chip in some offense on the third line as well. 

The caveat is that Garland looked to be the engine on that third line last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't be better without him if a beefed up top six balances out a somewhat less productive third line. It also really depends on what we get for Garland, or from the cap space moving him would free up. 

We could very well be better if we can bring in another top 4D. 

Garland is also quite easy to move given his lack of trade protection. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

A Garland trade wouldn't surprise me, he was quite good for us on that third line last season but that's also exactly why one can assume he's rehabilitated his trade value; which is a funny thing to say considering he put up 52 and 46 point seasons the two seasons prior to last season's 47 points. 

That's top six production outside the top six, but he's done it as a third liner as opposed to as a top six guy. Impressive, but perhaps a luxury. 

Even if we were to move him, I think the additions of Sprong, Heinen, and DeBrusk would more than make up for any loss of offense. 

Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, and DeBrusk are our bona fide top six guys and we have a few complimentary players in Sprong, Heinen, Suter, Joshua, and maybe Hoglander and Podkolzin. Any of those guys could chip in some offense on the third line as well. 

The caveat is that Garland looked to be the engine on that third line last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean we couldn't be better without him if a beefed up top six balances out a somewhat less productive third line. It also really depends on what we get for Garland, or from the cap space moving him would free up. 

We could very well be better if we can bring in another top 4D. 

Garland is also quite easy to move given his lack of trade protection. 

Bingo. I'm not trying to rush him out the door, but I can see a world where he's moved out, and not pay to do so. I doubt that the return is more than a 3rd or prospect tho. It would be for the cap space.

I also think Blueger is a little underappreciated as a offensive contributor on that line too.

On 7/22/2024 at 8:01 AM, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Benning's not gonna sleep with you, bro. 

you talk about him all the time, it’s clear where your mind is at.

We don’t have the same sexual interest, so don’t assume I’m into the same things as you. 

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Confused 2
  • Wiener 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bingo. I'm not trying to rush him out the door, but I can see a world where he's moved out, and not pay to do so. I doubt that the return is more than a 3rd or prospect tho. It would be for the cap space.

I also think Blueger is a little underappreciated as a offensive contributor on that line too.

Probably, but I look at him as more of a stabilizing defensive presence, 20-28ish points ain't nothing to sneeze at 

I ain't rushing him out either, but if we need to move out a larger contract to bring someone in he's the easiest guy to move 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filthy animal said:

Your left hand doesnt count as an ex gf

voila hands GIF by brontron

threesome?

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

some would argue that we technically won the stanley cup that day

OEL brought the cup home for us

When is Benning's day? 

• Haha 4