[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

Well, you were one of those defending Jimbo back in the days when I was in the same position as Anthony is now.

I was blocked, picked on etc… 

But I talked about how bad Benning was.

Do you understand nowadays what I was talking about back then? 
Or is your mind still stuck with Dahlen? 

Come on, youre waiting for the chris gear interview just like i am!

• Haha 1

Allvin has signed enough forwards that his options for a trade are so much better than last year. Moving Garland is an option that no other team entertained last year. His offence on the 3rd line was outstanding and his team leadership stood out. His goal scoring consistency and his size has worked against him but last season truly showed what he is capable of. 

It would not surprise me to see PA make another move for a d-man. IMHO it is needed on the right side. 

• Cheers 2

I'm really likingt this signing more and more

I think having 4 lines that can be an offensive threat shift after shift is a great recipe for success in regular season and it allows to manage minutes to save our guys for the playoffs.

The thought of having either Hoglander or Sprong on the 4th line is a luxury I can't think of any other team having.

Too early to worry about playoffs, come playoff time we will have a full reg season for the top 9 to be established and in-season trades to make. What we need is options and I'd argue we're 18-deep for potential NHL guys this season. 

Debrusk - Petey - Hoglander

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Sherwood - Suter - Sprong

PDG - Aman - Podkolzin

Bains - Raty - Karlsson

And on outside looking in

Samson & Lekeremeki 

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Zero chance they put all that work to keep the best 3rd line in the league together just to move out 1/3rd and the best player on said line. The logic just makes no sense. 

I think that's a move they might make.  If we want a Top4 RHD we need to move out cash and having 5mil on the 3rd line is not good, it's the only way we can free up the cap space to fit said D-man.

Love Garland, love the line and chemistry they had don't get me wrong but really they only did it for one year who's to say they can even repeat that?
With all the capable wingers we signed I feel it's a good move to package Garland and Hoglander to sell them both when they're high.
For the record I don't want to trade either of them really but it makes the most sense.

Frees up cap for RHD and space for Podz.  I think he has a higher ceiling than Hogz and would benefit from some strong leadership and could fit with Boeser and Miller getting mentored by both of them will certainly help his mental focus which is all he really needs.

Thinking more about this signing, I think it was sneaky good. And at under a million for only 1-year.

JR/PA/RT all know what kind of player Sprong is. PIT drafted and developed him.

He's had a bit of a rough go his first few years in the pros, bouncing from the NHL to the AHL to the QMJHL, back tot he AHL and so forth. His last two seasons though, Sprong has seemed to turn a corner in SEA and DET. Just entering his prime (27) and being brought back into a familiar surrounding (management, coach, some players), they're putting him in a position to succeed at just the right time in his career. 

At $975,000, Sprong could turn out to be incredible value, especially if he clicks with Petey.

Edited by Nucker67
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Thinking more about this signing, I think it was sneaky good. And at under a million for only 1-year.

He's had a bit of a rough go his first few years in the pros, bouncing from the NHL to the AHL to the QMJHL, back tot he AHL and so forth. His last two seasons though, Sprong has seemed to turn a corner in SEA and DET. Just entering his prime (27) and being brought back into a familiar surrounding (management, coach, some players), they're putting him in a position to succeed at just the right time in his career. 

At $975,000, Sprong could turn out to be incredible value, especially if he clicks with Petey.

DeBrusk-Petey-Sprong could be fun to watch. When we have Kuzy, Mik and Petey for a minute it was magic. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

for four games

yeeeesh

whatever

lol then you don’t watch actually watch any games. There’s reason why he doesn’t play in the top 6… why do you think RT rather have pdg suter or whoever else he can find to put in the top 6 than garland? Coz whenever he moved him up to the miller or pettersson line those line literally did nothing coz they are busy fighting for puck with garland. Why do u think garland works on the 3rd line with joshua bleugar? Coz they don’t need the puck and happy let garland carry it. When you are playing on the top 6 you are playing with either miller or ep.. and prolly Hughes. All 3 of them needs the puck. So instead of just 2 ppl splitting the puck at a time you add a 3rd player fighting for the puck. Garland is a cycle type of player that likes to play around the board. Ep Hughes and miller ain’t cycle type players. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

This is really a crazy good sigining, and I bet he is playing in the top 6 by December. The guy can finish....which is exactly the type of player Petterson or Miller could use.

I figured he was humbled in FA, but he confirmed that in his interview on CanucksArmy; his team figured a big contract offer was coming FA and it never came bc he was seen a defensive liability. Then, he signed with us after talking to RT. My guess is RT basically said that he'd get the chance to play top 6 if he worked his ass off and played a 200' game...and the whole coaching staff will work with him on that. He knows that if he can net 20+ goals this year and show he can play 200', he'll get the money and term next july.

Watch out....I bet this guy comes flying out of the gate.....and wouldn't super me to see Sprong-Petterson-DeBrusk opening night.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Signing Sprong might lead to a Garland trade down the road. 

I would say it might make Hoglander available more likely.

Can he be part of a package to land a top 4 D or upgrade in the top 6?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would say it might make Hoglander available more likely.

Can he be part of a package to land a top 4 D or upgrade in the top 6?

Depends on how well Sprong fits into the group. Hogs is still cheap. Garland is at almost 5 mil. Both play bottom six minutes. Limited PP and no PK. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Depends on how well Sprong fits into the group. Hogs is still cheap. Garland is at almost 5 mil. Both play bottom six minutes. Limited PP and no PK. 

Hoglander is 5 years younger and would have more perceived value to teams who might think there’s another level.

I doubt Garland fetches enough in a return that would have an impact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hoglander is 5 years younger and would have more perceived value to teams who might think there’s another level.

Agreed. But clearing Garland’s cap (nearly 5 mil) is the value in trading him. But only if Sprong shows he can play those minutes. 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Would you take a 2nd and 3rd for Garland? No cap coming back? I would! 

• Like 1