[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

51 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

...and yet got the team as close as any other possible situation to winning the cup, without actually winning the cup.

Largely on the backs of Burke and Nonis.........that said, he made some great finishing moves

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

How so? 

Think it akes perfect sense... low cost RW place holder for Lekkerimaki...

If he plays well, he'll likely be off to the highest bidder, and a place is open for Lekkerimaki...

Have to say if nothing else, its fun to be a Canucks fan under PA... rarely a week goes by without some sort of action... 

Getting Strong for under $1M is good business... if it doesn't work out they'll wave him... 

Still under the cap line even without Poolman on LTIR... 

The players having to start looking over their shoulders will be Pods and a few prospects like Karlsson, Aman etc... PA won't be giving them a free ride in the NHL...

To me Garland is a square peg in a round hole. He severely limits what the coaching staff can do with this roster because of his lack of utility. He makes way too much money for what he brings. I would rather give his ice time to Hoglander or Podkolzin and use his cap to get another D or use it for a in-season trade.

I don't hate the Sprong signing, as you said it's a low cost move. If he can maintain similar point totals to Garland at a fraction of the cost, then why keep Garland? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

To me Garland is a square peg in a round hole. He severely limits what the coaching staff can do with this roster because of his lack of utility. He makes way too much money for what he brings. I would rather give his ice time to Hoglander or Podkolzin and use his cap to get another D or use it for a in-season trade.

I don't hate the Sprong signing, as you said it's a low cost move. If he can maintain similar point totals to Garland at a fraction of the cost, then why keep Garland? 

If Sprong works out he could replace Garland on the 3rd line.  Lekkerimäki plays with Petey. We open up lots of cap space that way. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

47 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

And yet he never built that team. He added a dash of sprinkles to the cake. 

that GM position could have almost been vacant after the core was assembled and still got nearly that close.

Twins

Burr

Kes

Juice

Salo

Edler

Schneids

Luongo

Pretty much the biggest most important pieces.

Brian Burke and Dave Nonis mostly

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Sprong works out he could replace Garland on the 3rd line.  Lekkerimäki plays with Petey. We open up lots of cap space that way. 

Agreed. I see the lines as

Joshua- Miller- Boeser

Debrusk- Petey- Sprong

Heinen- Suter- Sherwood 

Podkolzin- Bluegar- Hoglander

Extras- Aman, PDG, Bains

Lekkerimaki (when ready) slots in Sprong's place

Trade Garland!!!!!!

Edited by fuzzy
  • Cheers 2

LOL.. why are so many people putting Hoglander on the 4th line? 

Hoglander had more goals than Debrusk, Heinen, Sprong, Garland, Joshua, Suter .... basically anyone not named Miller, Petey or Boeser.... all at even strength at 23yrs old, also a +23 on the season, so now he gets demoted for guys in their late 20's with less goals and one year contracts. Make it make sense. 

My biggest fear is that loading up with wingers like this and having Lek, Raty, Karlson pretty much ready to take a spot here soon that Hogs will be a trade chip to try and move out poolmans money. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think this signals that Hoglander is going to be in the bottom 6 and that they want Podz to earn a spot rather than get penciled in. When we were at our best we had 4 lines that could score consistently and weren't liabilities on D, and Hog on the 4th line was a big part of that. This season I think we keep the 3rd line, and Sprong takes Kuzmenko's old spot on Petey's right now that Debrusk is going to be on the left. This regime also said they like having 4 strong centers so I think they want Suter on the 4th line rather than Miller's wing. 

Heinen/Joshua - Miller - Boeser (Miller - Boeser pairing)

Debrusk - Petey - Sprong (Debrusk - Petey pairing) 

Joshua/Heinen - Blueger - Garland (Joshua - Garland or Heinen - Garland pairing)

Hog - Suter - Sherwood (Hog - Sherwood pairing)

...I also think that makes Sprong the placeholder for a TDL acquisition since that's the biggest weakness in our top 9. I'll bang this drum as hard as I can, but I think we fight tooth and nails for Travis Konecny. 

• Like 1

Just now, rmok said:

Hoglander had more goals than Debrusk, Heinen, Sprong, Garland, Joshua, Suter .... basically anyone not named Miller, Petey or Boeser.... all at even strength at 23yrs old, also a +23 on the season, so now he gets demoted for guys in their late 20's with less goals and one year contracts. Make it make sense. 

My biggest fear is that loading up with wingers like this and having Lek, Raty, Karlson pretty much ready to take a spot here soon that Hogs will be a trade chip to try and move out poolmans money. 

We played our best hockey analytically and by eye test in January. Back then we had 4 strong lines that were a threat to score every shift while not being an adventure defensively. They wore down opposing teams night in and night out with lengthy offensive zone shifts and rush chances. Putting all of your highest scoring players out together as often as possible doesn't work if someone gets cold or if you're playing a strong defensive team. You need to sprinkle the depth throughout like Dallas, Tampa and Florida have done. Edmonton model only works if you have a gamebreaking talent and even then, I don't see a McDavid cup. 

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Tell me you haven't looked at our defensive depth chart without saying you haven't looked at our defensive depth chart.

Oh I know. Just saying it doesn’t make sense to add to subtract. Although depending on how Hogz season goes. I could see a deadline move there. Just don’t think it has anything to do with this signing 

3 minutes ago, rmok said:

Didn’t Tocchet scratch Höglander in the playoffs?  

If the only thing that mattered was goals we would have kept Kuzmenko. 

Höglander is a one dimensional small winger who doesn’t play special teams. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I mean Sprong was a UFA who signed for under a million after back to back 40+ point seasons. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

We played our best hockey analytically and by eye test in January. Back then we had 4 strong lines that were a threat to score every shift while not being an adventure defensively. They wore down opposing teams night in and night out with lengthy offensive zone shifts and rush chances. Putting all of your highest scoring players out together as often as possible doesn't work if someone gets cold or if you're playing a strong defensive team. You need to sprinkle the depth throughout like Dallas, Tampa and Florida have done. Edmonton model only works if you have a gamebreaking talent and even then, I don't see a McDavid cup. 

Because for some unknown reason, he feels he doesn't have to backcheck. He doesn't understand that turnover can lead to offensive goals. And stopping the other team from scoring is just as important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Oh I know. Just saying it doesn’t make sense to add to subtract. Although depending on how Hogz season goes. I could see a deadline move there. Just don’t think it has anything to do with this signing 

By signing Sprong it allows us to add a 20 goal scorer for free while allowing us to trade a guy like Höglander for more defensive help. So we are adding to the overall team depth. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Ya no. They were playing their best hockey when Pettersson was looking like a top 5 player in the league and the top 2 scorers were Petey, Miller and Huggy. 

Lets be real. People are not putting Hoglander on the 4th because they think he is going to be a big scorer there.. they are doing it to demote him in favor of LESSER offensive players like Sprong and Heinen.. and Joshua... and garland (although at least garland drives play) 

Wasn't the whole guentzel and even necas saga to get an offensive winger to play with petey... well you got one.. Hoglander who has better offense than any winger on the team other than Brock.. and maybe the best even strength offence. He is also 23 and likely to get better and better .. if you don't demote him for 'reasons'. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, rmok said:

Hi.. my name is Nils Hoglander... I scored more goals than every winger in your line up not named Brock Boeser. And I did so at even strength with virtually no PP time. Thanks for putting me on the 4th line!!!

I don't think Hoggy makes sense on the 4th line; just not his game.  Unfortunately, I suspect that his

MIA game during the P/Os may result in a trade.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Agreed. I see the lines as

Joshua- Miller- Boeser

Debrusk- Petey- Sprong

Heinen- Suter- Sherwood 

Podkolzin- Bluegar- Hoglander

Extras- Aman, PDG, Bains

Lekkerimaki (when ready) slots in Sprong's place

Trade Garland!!!!!!

I actually doubt Bains gets a full time gig on the parent club..  I'm wondering if they will stay with Garland. He's liked by his team-mates, 

Podkolzin still, somehow just hasn.t broke though to the NHL level to stick; Guess we find out, late September.

Just now, higgyfan said:

I don't think Hoggy makes sense on the 4th line; just not his game.  Unfortunately, I suspect that his

MIA game during the P/Os may result in a trade.

And yet petey, and hronek... and joshua etc were all basically MIA for most of the playoffs. 

I agree though I think they  look poised to trade him because other teams definitely want him. If it frees up poolmans money and allows them to upgrade the defense then sure.. but won't be psyched about it.

Hoglander had a bad playoffs playing with a petey that was playing terribly. Hoglanders game and motor is actually built for the playoffs I think if Petey was more himself he would have thrived. The guy is only 23.. he hasn't even hit his prime while guys like Heinan and Sprong are probably past it. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t Tocchet scratch Höglander in the playoffs?  

If the only thing that mattered was goals we would have kept Kuzmenko. 

Höglander is a one dimensional small winger who doesn’t play special teams. Those guys are a dime a dozen. I mean Sprong was a UFA who signed for under a million after back to back 40+ point seasons. 

Hoglander a "small" winger? Have you ever watched him play? He is a 'short' winger but he does not play small. 

If all that Hoglander was good at was scoring goals he wouldn't have been a +23 on the season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1