[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was thinking the same thing. Huge upside offensively, could be game changing, but could also be a liability. They'll need to figure out how to play to his strengths and manage his time/deployment effectively.

You can bet Toch was on the phone today with him.Ha ha

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

If under the cap and not in LTIT to begin the season, isn't it best to be as close to the cap as possible? Lower threshold to bank cap or something?

Yup, given there is under $20k in cap space, the Canucks are close to maximizing the entire 2.5m for the LTIR pool.

• Cheers 1

Haha 

people still defending and making excuses for  the worst GM in franchise history jim the complete  and total idiot Benning.

”I think we can turn this around quickly” “refool” 

It would be tough for any GM to do worse than that POS. 

But but he got player ——- … he was here for 8 losing years a blind def monkey could achieve what Idiot Benning did. Look at the teams lining up to get him. Hahaha. 

moving on 

Wasn’t a fan of getting Sprong but for under a mill it’s a good signing. 
Pretty tidy business by PA and JR  so far this summer it’s nice having some confidence in management. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

Do I???? Because you guys are all blind and oblivious to the poorly handled trades/signings/free agents that have reduced the trade chips to choose from and now we’re getting closer to the Lekkermaki’s and Willanders being pawned off for rentals or going balls deep and hoping it’s enough to win a cup with whatever is in return and then our draft position will slide further and further down and the talent pool will continue to thin out and we’ll be back to 2013 in no time. 5 years is what it took Gillis to fuck the future. And he fucked it hard. Benning had to clean this shit hole up and focused on rebuilding the proper way, draft and develop, bring in cup winning experience on mid term deals and build a culture that leads to winning. 
you laugh at the Beagle deal in the rear view and have no clue how important guys like Beagle, Holtby, Miller, Schmidt (SCF) were in helping turn these young kids into true professionals.

look at what Edmonton did for so many years. Threw talent at a fire and hoped to put it out. They never brought a bucket of fucking water to help put that fire out and they destroyed so many god damn high draft picks.

look at CBJ, NJD, ARZ, ANA, EDM, TOR just off the top of my head… how long it took or how long it is still taking these teams to reach that next level. Benning built a core and a culture, he was never trying to win a cup in a day.

Slow down keyboard worrier.Your knowledge is pretty much same as all other posters here..We all have no idea what it take to build team and operate properly.No one is blind here.But i get it .Your fun is ,me against everybody.There is easy solution.Change a team.Very exciting to be Edmonton fan,or Calgary.You dont know or offer solution,so what are you doing here?????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Combover said:

Haha 

people still defending and making excuses for  the worst GM in franchise history jim the complete  and total idiot Benning.

”I think we can turn this around quickly” “refool” 

It would be tough for any GM to do worse than that POS. 

But but he got player ——- … he was here for 8 losing years a blind def monkey could achieve what Idiot Benning did. Look at the teams lining up to get him. Hahaha. 

moving on 

Wasn’t a fan of getting Sprong but for under a mill it’s a good signing. 
Pretty tidy business by PA and JR  so far this summer it’s nice having some confidence in management. 

But AntonyG said they suck

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Id be a little bit patient before even going into Alvin's stuff.   A year and a half, fixed a big mess with OEL, already planted as one of the worst trades in club history (that kid Guenther sure would be nice right about now).    Fixed most of JB's cap errors,  and yes made some mistakes but is quick to fix them.   Kuzmenko became Lindholm.    Do you really think JB would have traded Horvat?  I don't.   Instead flipped him for a younger top pairing RHD, something we haven't JB entire tenure.   

GM of the year finalist, wouldn't want to go back and tally up JB's accolades in that respect.   Dumped Dickinson, dumped Stillman, still working around Poolman.     I lost trust in his abilities to finish (add key support).   MG was a great finisher and also great at installing a top to bottom unity and creating a premier professionally done vibe.   Hamhuis was core.  Erhoff a solid number 2 for us.   His drafting did stink despite where he drafted, didn't trade a lot of capital, one first for Ballard and it was a late one.   Good at keeping the band together.   6 drafts is quite a few for dick fuck all, add a couple Nonjs dead call and we got what from it?   Hutton and Horvat, far worse then what most expansion teams under the old rules the first couple years.    Nothing but Edler to Horvat ouch.   RIP Bourdon though, he was going to make it. 

Allvin didn't bite at 7.8 x 7.    And 5 x 6.   His use of cap space so far, aside from maybe EP (damned if you don't) has been excellent and very refreshing.    Zero overpays in a tax disadvantaged market.   No more extra .5-1 for support guys with an extra year attached.   JT Miller was a great move unbelievable.   Almost every  GM out of the top five and maybe even some of them, would trade their firsts for that sort of return at his 5.35 x 4 and 8 x 7.    11 years and when he's done, most likely in the rafters, definitely in the ROR.   We won't know what JB would have signed Miller for or if he'd traded him for yet another waste exchange for the next Gudbranson type or OEL project.   At least we got Garland.   Who brought Joshua in.   And why the heck haven't we had a player like him since Torres anyways.   And why did he not insulate our young players with heavy harder to play against guys.  Dorsett love the heart but just a punching bag and it injured him, why he didn't add another bigger Dorsett back then when they were a dime a dozen who knows.  KB23 the teams enforcer yikes not much, not for when your about to suck eggs worse then the Messiah era.    

Every other time in club history, when we were going to suck and downcylce a revolving door of mean forwards and defenseman came in.  There cheap and keep your picks safe.   Poor EP and Brock, Horvat the heart of the Tin Man. 

Beagle was fine.   Ferland a joke couldn't even insure the deal.   Rousell ok for a short while then meh.     And just couldn't get guys to waive.  NYR had no problem with that.    And they were just as good or almost as good as us for a run of five Lundqvist years including a Game six loss in their final.    Balls enough to write a letter.   Team would of got so much more from Hamhuis, Bieksa and Hansen and maybe Edler would have tucked tail too, 6 for his last contract was downright ugly. 

From where i'm sitting we are luckily to have a mostly drafted core.   Horvat he started with from MG.   That's Hronek.    Enough to make trades, draft some new blood and hopefully make the show.    His drafting was B-, just two many second and third rounders didn't work out, and nothing past the third round but Adam Gaudette.  It's a darn shame Edler was the last impact player third round and beyond.  Odds are in average, you should get on every 8 drafts so they aren't common.   But still that's a couple missed now from two GM's 

My only criticizm is we probably could have kept Zad moved poolman to IR and not signed Forbort Deschrnais moved Juulsen up to 6th D and it would have been damn close cap wise. Water under the bridge now. I think they will find another 3/4D. 

I think they may have already laid the groundwork for a D mid season, possibly Andersson?

Our fwds seem set. 

Edited by Hammertime

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think people who talk that way about those years don't really seem to understand the mess he inherited and how long a rebuild actually takes

10000%

Like just look at NJD. 13 years. Still not a contender they were for a minute and that’s it.

CBJ and ARZ endlessly.

DET

How many 1OA it took EDM and even then they are so god damn lucky McDavid is a generational talent and that Draisaitl is on the best contract in the league.

its ridiculous that people can’t comprehend just how far behind we were on talent when JB took over and just how long and painful that process is to build through the draft. It takes 8+ years minimum usually to build through the draft. Our core was done in 5.

like the guy inherited nothing other than Kesler on the main roster who held the keys to his final destination of just 1 place to choose from after the Chicago deal got squashed. Then he inherits no legit prospects, had to develop them (Horvat) no trade chips of significant value anywhere in the system and a whole core to replace and cupboards to restock. Plus he inherits a cap recapture, 2 expansion drafts, a flattened cap a pandemic in the locker room, All while trying to rebuild and compete for playoffs??? Like how the fuck do these “fans” not see the shit he had to deal with and the expectations they had of him while being dealt these cards. It’s baffling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, canucks curse said:

If I’m Podz and Hogz I now see I will be truly fighting for a job if not traded by the start of camp 

And poor Linus Karlsson ..... had tempting offers to return to Sweden,  but re-signed with the Canucks, only to see wingers with more NHL experience brought in to bump him further down the line. I guess being Swedish rookie of the year and current record holder for Swedish rookie with most goals don't count for as much as one would think.   Lekkerimaki had better be prepared to work his ass off in Abbotsford lest he suffer the same fate.  He wasn't as prolific a scorer as Karlsson but seems to be getting more respect from the fanbase led by the talking heads and self-proclaimed pundits.

11 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

Slow down keyboard worrier.Your knowledge is pretty much same as all other posters here..We all have no idea what it take to build team and operate properly.No one is blind here.But i get it .Your fun is ,me against everybody.There is easy solution.Change a team.Very exciting to be Edmonton fan,or Calgary.You dont know or offer solution,so what are you doing here?????

If my knowledge is the same as everyone else here, how the fuck do you guys all not understand how hard JBs job was and how the fuck couldnt any of you see the issues with Kuzmenko in his first season??? You claim to have this same knowledge but you show no sign of knowing what it means or what to do with it.

I was one of the only ones calling for a trade at the 2023 deadline. Kuzmenko is a terrible skater. They fucked up big time and missed out on capitalizing on his value as a 30goal scorer at the TDL. Would have been a massive return for a team going all in. Instead they sold him at rock bottom value.  I’ve been criticizing this management group as things have been going on, I’ve also given them TONS of praise on many moves as well. But I have every right to be highly critical of them because these are the years we are contending. We need the highest standards 

How about you head on out of here, your name says everything I need to know about your support. I’ve mentioned MANY solutions. Got laughed at for suggesting trading Garland 3 years ago when his value was up and suggested Hoglander as a replacement because they bring the same game. I’ve suggested many things over the years. I’ve also advocated for guys who were whipping boys who now all you guys were freaking out about losing (Myers) you guys were all just too blind and ignorant to see he’s been that same player the whole bloody time.

I called Boeser’s rebound season 2 years ago being the 2023-24 season, when fans on here were complaining about his production and then complained against the year after his dad passed away and I said it would take him 1 more season to get through alllllll the firsts without his dad, get over that mental distraction, here we are a fuckin 40 goal scorer.

The OEL buyout was braindead. The signs of us competing were allllllllll there in a losing season. 4 30 goal scorers no number 1 goalie and injuries to the blue line that resulted in a “bad season” where we were one of the highest scoring teams and only one of 2 teams with 4 30 goal scorers in the league. All we needed WAS OUR BLOODIE GOALIE TO STOP A BEACH BALL. So they get trigger happy and buy him out and this team goes on a run and is now hit with a 4mil cap penalty at a crucial time. 2021-22 once Pettersson woke up, we were a legitimate contender if we made playoffs. Just took Petey 40+ games to get his shit together.

lmao if you think it’s exciting to be an Edmonton fan right now, you don’t even understand how fucked they are next season. They‘re the next Leafs.

• Haha 3

Just now, AnthonyG said:

If my knowledge is the same as everyone else here, how the fuck do you guys all not understand how hard JBs job was and how the fuck couldnt any of you see the issues with Kuzmenko in his first season??? You claim to have this same knowledge but you show no sign of knowing what it means or what to do with it.

I was one of the only ones calling for a trade at the 2023 deadline. Kuzmenko is a terrible skater. They fucked up big time and missed out on capitalizing on his value as a 30goal scorer at the TDL. Would have been a massive return for a team going all in. Instead they sold him at rock bottom value.  I’ve been criticizing this management group as things have been going on, I’ve also given them TONS of praise on many moves as well. But I have every right to be highly critical of them because these are the years we are contending. We need the highest standards 

How about you head on out of here, your name says everything I need to know about your support. I’ve mentioned MANY solutions. Got laughed at for suggesting trading Garland 3 years ago when his value was up and suggested Hoglander as a replacement because they bring the same game. I’ve suggested many things over the years. I’ve also advocated for guys who were whipping boys who now all you guys were freaking out about losing (Myers) you guys were all just too blind and ignorant to see he’s been that same player the whole bloody time.

I called Boeser’s rebound season 2 years ago being the 2023-24 season, when fans on here were complaining about his production and then complained against the year after his dad passed away and I said it would take him 1 more season to get through alllllll the firsts without his dad, get over that mental distraction, here we are a fuckin 40 goal scorer.

The OEL buyout was braindead. The signs of us competing were allllllllll there in a losing season. 4 30 goal scorers no number 1 goalie and injuries to the blue line that resulted in a “bad season” where we were one of the highest scoring teams and only one of 2 teams with 4 30 goal scorers in the league. All we needed WAS OUR BLOODIE GOALIE TO STOP A BEACH BALL. So they get trigger happy and buy him out and this team goes on a run and is now hit with a 4mil cap penalty at a crucial time. 2021-22 once Pettersson woke up, we were a legitimate contender if we made playoffs. Just took Petey 40+ games to get his shit together.

lmao if you think it’s exciting to be an Edmonton fan right now, you don’t even understand how fucked they are next season. They‘re the next Leafs.

Lay off the nose beers

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

And poor Linus Karlsson ..... had tempting offers to return to Sweden,  but re-signed with the Canucks, only to see wingers with more NHL experience brought in to bump him further down the line. I guess being Swedish rookie of the year and current record holder for Swedish rookie with most goals don't count for as much as one would think.   Lekkerimaki had better be prepared to work his ass off in Abbotsford lest he suffer the same fate.  He wasn't as prolific a scorer as Karlsson but seems to be getting more respect from the fanbase led by the talking heads and self-proclaimed pundits.

Thats pro sport and the NHL. Competition everywhere and thats how cup winners where build.

Karlsson vs. Lekk ?

Lekk is younger and more talented than Karlsson

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

This is how successful franchises win. Internal competitiveness, nothing is a given. Get better. Karlsson will get his development time in Abby and will get a chance with a call up at some point. Get better, that's what he can control. Sprong goes quiet or sucks defensively and Tochett will press box him like Kuz. It's all good and will help the team win. 

8 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

10000%

Like just look at NJD. 13 years. Still not a contender they were for a minute and that’s it.

CBJ and ARZ endlessly.

DET

How many 1OA it took EDM and even then they are so god damn lucky McDavid is a generational talent and that Draisaitl is on the best contract in the league.

its ridiculous that people can’t comprehend just how far behind we were on talent when JB took over and just how long and painful that process is to build through the draft. It takes 8+ years minimum usually to build through the draft. Our core was done in 5.

like the guy inherited nothing other than Kesler on the main roster who held the keys to his final destination of just 1 place to choose from after the Chicago deal got squashed. Then he inherits no legit prospects, had to develop them (Horvat) no trade chips of significant value anywhere in the system and a whole core to replace and cupboards to restock. Plus he inherits a cap recapture, 2 expansion drafts, a flattened cap a pandemic in the locker room, All while trying to rebuild and compete for playoffs??? Like how the fuck do these “fans” not see the shit he had to deal with and the expectations they had of him while being dealt these cards. It’s baffling.

People moan about the misses. Virtanen, Juolevi but no gm bats 100% we have a great core in Demko, Hugz, Pete, Miller. But let's not put lipstick on a pig his FO was atrocious he tried to be Chef, Head Cook and Bottle washer and he just had no time.  

We will see how the Debrusk, Hronek, Pete signings play out as well as Brocks future. We have some crucial moves ahead before Demko Hughes go UFA. Navigating icing a contender with the oel mik dead cap while leaving room when the clock ticks will be key. I wasn't a big fan of JR PA at first but they are winning me over. I have a lot more faith today than I had under JB

200.gif 

13 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Our president has few rings on his hand.Guy is known for his professional work.They (FO) turn around team in one year and made us happy watching our team play.If i Trust them is to be blind,yes i am.But if i am blind ,you are and blind and deaf.After battle ,all generals are smart.Nothing new here.I suggest some kind of medication to calm you down.Nothing wrong with good weed too.Bless

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Idk why but I read that as cookies and now I’m mad because I want cookies.

I'm not mad. Because Save On Food's had Wunderbars on sale.

So I bought one. Now I want to get in a long boat and go raiding.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

It's bad enough that media clowns have to whine about Benning every time we make a signing; but then they have to also swirl their tongues in Gillis' sweaty ass.

We were in a down cycle and now we're on the rise. Benning got us most of our core and now JR and Allvin are building on it.

I think this is a sneaky good signing. If he buys into the system, he could be very good for us.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not mad. Because Save On Food's had Wunderbars on sale.

So I bought one. Now I want to get in a long boat and go raiding.

Ugh. I’m gonna grow another ass cheek because of all this!

4 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Thats pro sport and the NHL. Competition everywhere and thats how cup winners where build.

Karlsson vs. Lekk ?

Lekk is younger and more talented than Karlsson

Younger for sure, but in what way more talented?

Karlsson is taller, heavier, and a better skater 

Final year in Swedish elite league:

Karlsson:  52 games, 26 goals* and 20 assists for 46 points

Lekkerimaki: 46 games, 19 goals and 12 assists for 31 points 

I'm not dissing Lekkerimaki  - just wondering why LK doesn't get the recognition that he's earned.  Maybe because we didn't draft him, but traded for him?

* broke Petey's record for goals by a rookie

• Upvote 1