[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

That Virtanen deal was clearly amazing.  

Also not signing the two stars to max contracts which would have been in the $8 million range at the time most definitely isn’t biting the team in the ass by having bridge deals coming due when the player has all the leverage and at much higher rates.

Boeser didn’t play up to his contract for most of it.

Which RFA signings exactly were great?

Q’s deal is way under valued as was EPs.  Virt was stupid, I did say for the most part. 
‘He was bad at everything else. He didn’t leave himself the cap flexibility or budget to sign EP and QH to long term deals but got them on great value deals within the constraints his mismanagement had left him. 
Brock, who could foresee the prolonged personal issues. Lived up to it this year and gave value back, see how next year goes before completely dissing that deal.  He was our best drafted and developed player in the playoffs this year. 
I am not here to defend Benning. He was terrible but he didn’t do absolutely everything wrong, just like PA hasn’t done 100% of everything perfectly. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Hammertime said:

My only criticizm is we probably could have kept Zad moved poolman to IR and not signed Forbort Deschrnais moved Juulsen up to 6th D and it would have been damn close cap wise. Water under the bridge now. I think they will find another 3/4D. 

I think they may have already laid the groundwork for a D mid season, possibly Andersson?

Our fwds seem set. 

I assume one of the factors mgmt considered is having more flexibility with the current lineup over the large deal for Z. Z put on show in the playoffs so heres hoping the current lineup provides greater team depth and flexibility to improve during the year as needed.

In theory, I do like what mgmt has done, the team should be much harder to play against and match up against. Forward possession numbers should go up and hopefully spending more time with the pick will help out the D

Edited by NoCupSyndrome

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Q’s deal is way under valued as was EPs.  Virt was stupid, I did say for the most part. 
‘He was bad at everything else. He didn’t leave himself the cap flexibility or budget to sign EP and QH to long term deals but got them on great value deals within the constraints his mismanagement had left him. 
Brock, who could foresee the prolonged personal issues. Lived up to it this year and gave value back, see how next year goes before completely dissing that deal.  He was our best drafted and developed player in the playoffs this year. 
I am not here to defend Benning. He was terrible but he didn’t do absolutely everything wrong, just like PA hasn’t done 100% of everything perfectly. 

Not even remotely undervalued.  He traded future liability for short term savings by not buying any UFA years.

We had to pay a lot for Petterson because he could have taken an arb award and walked to UFA.  Hughes can simply leave instead of signing and that could destroy the franchise for years. 

15 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I assume one of the factors mgmt considered is having more flexibility with the current lineup over the large deal for Z. Z put on show in the playoffs so heres hoping the current lineup provides greater team depth and flexibility to improve during the year as needed.

In theory, I do like what mgmt has done, the team should be much harder to play against and match up against. Forward possession numbers should go up and hopefully spending more time with the pick will help out the D

On the D side I think they brought in a couple placeholders for the bottom pairs understanding they will have some internal options such as Willander and others to join the lineup in the next 1-2 years.  Depending how things shake out there could be opportunity for a deadline add on the backend.  I like the scoring depth on the forward group.  Everyone is a threat to pot 10+ goals and there will be good depth guys in Aman, di guisippe, Karlsson 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I’m honestly super surprised by this move. Sub 1 mil so don’t @ me about that.

MASSIVE potential to be an offensive contributor in the top 6. MASSIVE potential that he’s in the dog house from minute 1.

Can bury this contract easily in the AHL without implication. 10/10

edit: forgot what i actually want to say about this move. It’s very intriguing to see what this coaching staff could get out of a very one dimensional player. One dimensional is press box under Tocchet 

IMHO the Canuck org was the selling point for Sprong to sign. He is still young enough to secure a bigger pay day in the future if he can play well within RT's structure. That was probably PA's selling point. Play well and get a bigger and longer contract from either the Canucks or another team as a UFA. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

Podkolzin is waiver eligible and hasn’t exactly killed it in the ahl …

they will send him down unless he definitively wins a job 

no way he clears tho. If it comes to it they will trade him for something, but hopefully he gets an actual chance to play this year. Lots of competition now tho, it won't be easy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

15 hours ago, deepbluefunk said:

Another lineup option to consider

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Petey - Garland

Heinen - Suter - Sprong

Hoglander - Blueger - Sherwood

I'd actually be pretty curious to see how Petey would do with Garland and Joshua. Garland is a monster on puck retrieval and Joshua has shown an ability to finish. 

Bottom six looks like a nightmare to deal with. Irritating players on both lines. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

When he signed Hughes for a short deal? 
The one that has an interest in leaving… 

lol hey bud all ELCs are short deals.

Riddle me this….If Quinn had an interest in leaving after his “short deal” why the hell is he still here?

18 hours ago, The Duke said:

I hear you, but something about Miller-Debrusk just pops off the page. I’d love to see it.

Make it tough as hell for opponents too. Hell; You could still have Boeser there as well.

I doubt we've seen all the movement we will see by puck drop in the regular season..

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'd actually be pretty curious to see how Petey would do with Garland and Joshua. Garland is a monster on puck retrieval and Joshua has shown an ability to finish. 

Bottom six looks like a nightmare to deal with. Irritating players on both lines. 

Joshua had an unsustainable shooting % last year tho. I expect maybe 15 goals from him next year. 

I want to see a big ballsy move now. We can afford to move Garland, and then we should offer sheet Sillinger. Columbus is the perfect offer sheet enemy to make, no one is going to want to sign to go there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bh90 said:

Lol

I officially can't take anything you ever say serious going forward after that awful take of yours

Good for you, Gillis did fuck all except fuck the future and your awful eyes can’t tell that you are watching and cheering on a team with Jim Bennings handprints alllllll over it

Who was integral to last seasons regular season success and post season run?

Pettersson (for most of the season and was dragged down by the dead weight on each wing) Miller, Boeser, Demko, Hughes, Silovs, Myers and Garland who made Joshua into what he is today. 

Whose ass got carried? Hronek for over half a season and the playoffs

Lindholm

Mikheyev

Kuzmenko while he was here.

Edited by AnthonyG
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Learn and burn my friend , this mng team has won cups. Isn’t that the goal? I am not interested in a dynasty at this time, more so a CUP for VC.

im all in on that goal. But I’m in my rights to have reserves, based on what damage they did in PIT to get those cups, doesn’t guarantee a cup every time but it sure helps a ton when you have one of the greatest players of all time in Crosby, then a guy like Malkin and Letang. The 4mil buyout penalty during our window of contention is a 4mil advantage some other team has over us. That’s a significant difference. The buyout was not necessary and there were plenty other solutions to navigate the cap without going down that road. They got impatient and shot themselves in the foot. 
OEL bounced right back and went on to win a cup and played important minutes. He played through injury here and we had the leagues worst goaltending, yet they made an irrational decision that is now costing us today and tomorrow.

This buyout for OEL was the right decision and doesnt have the big affect you describe.

The biggest shit was to trade for OEL and thats all on Benning. This trade was absolutely bullshit.

No buyout cost and maybe a player like Guenther on the roster would be awesome.

If you are mad about the buyout you have to complain about the trade first.

This trade cost so much of today and tomorrow, not that buyout.

This gave us a chance to be way more competetive.

I cant understand why you are so negative about this GM group. 

The goal is to win the cup and they do a great job so far.

From non playoff team to one win away to go to the CF within one year is amazing.

This franchise is on the right track and you have to accept this because that is the truth.

Edited by German Canuck
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Ultimately JBs work put us in a position to compete and contend just as our core is hitting its prime. He did his job. While having to deal with a cap recapture, no prospects to start, an entire core to replace who had little to no value, 2 expansion drafts, a flattened cap JUST as the cap recapture comes off and right after he makes moves to push for playoffs and then the 2020-21 mid season COVID outbreak. That 2021-22 season he got fired and new mgmt came in and didn’t do anything, they almost made playoffs and were 7th best in the league down the final 35 game stretch or whatever it was. We missed playoffs because Pettersson took over 40 games to get going. Al in under 8 years 2 playoff appearances a 2nd round game 7 and a core replaced and a few prospects in the cupboard. Does anyone here comprehend just how fast he turned this around????

PA on the other hand has the entire prime of this core to win a cup and he’s already put a 4mil cap penalty against its potential. That’s a bigger fuck up than anything Benning did. Beagle Roussel and LEs overpayments during the late stages of the rebuild aren’t far off cumulatively of what this 4mil buyout penalty is during years that ACTUALLY matter because we are ACTUALLY in the conversation of winning a cup. 

people crying about the large majority of JBs UFA deals while rebuilding is crying over spilt milk.

• Haha 1
  • chaos 1

5 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

This buyout for OEL was the right decision and doesnt have the big affect you describe.

The biggest shit was to trade for OEL and thats all on Benning. This trade was absolutely bullshit.

No buyout cost and maybe a player like Guenther on the roster would be awesome.

If you are mad about the buyout you have to complain about the trade first.

This trade cost so much of today and tomorrow, not that buyout.

This gave us a chance to be way more competetive.

I cant understand why you are so negative about this GM group. 

The goal is to win the cup and they do a great job so far.

From non playoff team to one win away to go to the CF within one year is amazing.

This franchise is on the right track and you have to accept this because that is the truth.

I’ve actually given plenty of praise along the way. But I’m going to be critical of their mistakes too.

4 mil dead cap while being labeled a contender…. 4 mil less of a contender than the next.

Sorry but with this amount of top 10 picks Benning must build a new core.

Otherwise he has nothing to do with hockey.

Again, OEL trade fucked the future not the buyout.

He wasted 3 top 10 picks and thats a big disaster.

Edited by German Canuck

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I’ve actually given plenty of praise along the way. But I’m going to be critical of their mistakes too.

4 mil dead cap while being labeled a contender…. 4 mil less of a contender than the next.

Over 2M this year and over 4M next year because of that fucking big mistake to make that trade.

That more cap plus Guenther instead of Garland would be much better.

Thats not the fault of PA.

Edited by German Canuck

4 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Sorry but with this amount of top 10 picks Benning must build a new core.

Otherwise he has nothing to with hockey.

Again, OEL trade fucked the future not the buyout.

He wasted 3 top 10 picks and thats a big disaster.

3 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Over 2M this year and over 4M next year because of that fucking big mistake to make that trade.

That more cap plus Guenther instead of Garland would be much better.

Thats not the fault of PA.

What matters more, this core’s potential and their chances to bring us home a cup, or a fucking pick that’s far down the road from becoming a Pettersson.

what’s fucking us more?? Our current goal of trying to win a cup and having a 4 mil fucking penalty or a fucking pick

10 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

What matters more, this core’s potential and their chances to bring us home a cup, or a fucking pick that’s far down the road from becoming a Pettersson.

what’s fucking us more?? Our current goal of trying to win a cup and having a 4 mil fucking penalty or a fucking pick

A caphit of over 7M for OEL would fuck their chances more than anything else.

Yes there is deadcap but this deadcap would also be there if OEL is still on the roster.

Or why do you think his caphit for the last year and next year is much lower than over 7M?

Yes, because he is not worth that money.

Edited by German Canuck

6 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

A caphit of over 7M for OEL would fuck their chances more than anything else.

Yes there is deadcap but this deadcap would also be there if OEL is still on the roster.

Or why do you think his caphit for the last year and next year is much lower than over 7M?

Yes, because he is not worth that money.

You know what fucked their chances a dead cap hit of 4.75mil in Mikheyev.

you know what they could have done, kept OEL, and not pursued Zadorov. Dumped Mikheyevs dead ass in the ocean or desert and had a blue line of

Hughes - Hronek

Myers - OEL

Soucy - Cole

remember OEL and Myers in 2021-22??? Top 5 shutdown pair league wide. 2022-23 Boudreau and co split them up in 22-23 and OEL was playing through injury. Look at what happened the moment OEL was healthy again, goes and wins fucking cup and was a key piece of their blue line.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You know what fucked their chances a dead cap hit of 4.75mil in Mikheyev.

you know what they could have done, kept OEL, and not pursued Zadorov. Dumped Mikheyevs dead ass in the ocean or desert and had a blue line of

Hughes - Hronek

Myers - OEL

Soucy - Cole

remember OEL and Myers in 2021-22??? Top 5 shutdown pair league wide. 2022-23 Boudreau and co split them up in 22-23 and OEL was playing through injury. Look at what happened the moment OEL was healthy again, goes and wins fucking cup and was a key piece of their blue line.

Yes and thats why OEL's cap hit now is 3.5M 🤣

Yes, Mikheyev was a fault but the OEL trade a much bigger one.

But now its enough with this stupid shit Benning has done with this trade.

Have a nice day

Edited by German Canuck