[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

I want to say why?

But the deals signed by Canucks brass are literally some of the easiest to trade for literally anything around the TDL in the entire league.  These are deals that can return assets and I can't complain about that

This does leave Podkolzin on the outside or riding the pine though and that is not something I like to see.  Would mean 4 wasted or blown top 10 picks in 6 years by Vancouver in Podkolzin, Virtanen, Juolevi and the 9th OA that went to Arizona for OEL.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think he came here on a show me deal because he must like what the brass and Tocchet are making here. 

he knows theres a top6 spot available. if he can earn that spot, pot 25 goals, he'll be in for 3.5-4m/year next year

good way to bet on himself, still young enough to make plenty of money if he can show off his abilities

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm really surprised Sprong signed for so little.  That's life in the bargain bin I guess.  😁

Last year, he signed in Detroit for $2M on a "show me" contract as a UFA following a 21-25-46 +13 effort in Seattle (their playoff year).  He put up 18-25-43 -5 with Detroit last year who let him go to free agency.

I guess they're taking a flyer on the former 2nd round pick by Rutherford form 2015.  They must think he'll do ok under Tocchet's system since he did ok in Seattle 2 years ago.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, German Canuck said:

Wow what an awesome deal. Like i said a few days ago.

I was totally on the train for Guentzel but now with DeBrusk, Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood we are much better and i was completely wrong with the love for Guentzel.

What a great and deep forward group

Kindve shows why it’s not always the best to hand $$ to free agents. Those 4 forwards are less AAV than Guentzel but will be massive into a deep playoff run. 
Imagine how good Toronto and Edmonton would be if they used the money they spent on Tavares and Nurse on 4-5 solid players that they could sprinkle throughout the lineup. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Podkolzin/Aman/PDG all on the outside looking in at the moment.

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood

Not a single player I would take out for any of those 3.

I don't think Pods is waiver exempt anymore though.  So we have to manage assets.  

4 minutes ago, KesLord said:

OR it could make Pod realize he’s gotta step up his game to the next level if he wants to crack the lineup…

Which indicates a blown top 10 pick which leads to 3 directly chosen by the Canucks in 6 years or so that never panned out

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

Don’t really care for this signing but it’s depth. And don’t worry about Podkolzin, someone is always injured 

I hate how right this is.

• Cheers 1

Sprong signed a show me deal last year with Detroit and ended up scratched as they were fighting for a playoff spot.  

That’s why he’s in the bargain bin.  

With that said, he has speed and offensive talent.  Right handed winger / shot.  And he has to know what Tocchet expects of his entire lineup.  He’s on another show me contract, so he’ll be listening and could have a fabulous season if he manages to stick with Petey. 

• Like 1