[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

You would not be surprised if that was the case... They seem to have something cooking all the time and often it comes straight from left field and unexpected.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:45 PM, CaribouCanuck said:

Back to back 40+ point 20ish goal scorer for only 975k.... I wonder what mental gymnastics Oilers fans are going to try to use to argue that this somehow a god awful contract/signing? 🤔

I take this over Jeff Skinner any day of the week.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I take this over Jeff Skinner any day of the week.

I dunno about that one, Skinner is a pretty good player, but there was no chance he was ever coming here because of wanting to play with McDavid so its a moo point

1 minute ago, filthy animal said:

I dunno about that one, Skinner is a pretty good player, but there was no chance he was ever coming here because of wanting to play with McDavid so its a moo point

Well he has the same deficiencies as Sprong. Not as good defensively and unlike Sprong, he does not have the foot speed. He had a really good season 2 years ago, but last season he regressed hard. We will see how he does, but it is a $3 million cap hit instead of a cap hit that is below $1 million.

11 minutes ago, filthy animal said:

image.gif

Edited by D-Money
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I wonder if something is cooking on moving Garland? Sprong can replace his offence but sucks defensively, at least up to now. Maybe Tocc can simplify things for him like with Myers?

Freeing up Garlands cap makes a lot of other significant moves possible for another top 6 or top 4 d.

It's possible, but I think they're pretty much done for now. They didn't sign Forbort, Desharnais and Myers just to move one of them now.

That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll make a play for defenseman at some point during the season, assuming that the bottom two pairings don't overperform. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Zombieksa said:

My personal expectation is that they will likely move Podz, and try and move the Poolman contract as well. If they move both, and for waiver reasons start with Patera as the backup to start the season, that leaves 3.6M in cap space for a puck moving LD. I'm not sure if moving more players beyond that is the direction they move in, and I could see Allvin making an additional move with maybe 2 picks and a minor contract instead.

As far as the Sprong signing goes I am cautiously a fan of it. For a lineup I am on the side of starting the season by promoting Garland and Joshua to the top 6 with Debrusk and Boeser.

Some combination of:
Joshua - Petey - Garland
Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Due to their defensive weaknesses I would like to see Hogz and Sprong on separate lines in the bottom 6 as Suter and Blueger have the defensive strengths to hopefully mask these deficiencies. They will also see weaker competition which is where someone like Sprong is likely to tally his goals, and as Tocchet said of Hoglander moving off the 4th line last year, it "lost its identity". Maybe returning him there will bring that identity back.

Something like:
Heinen-Blueger-Sprong
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood

That's good work and well thought out..

The JT Miller - Boeser  line with the right ingredient added, could be, potentially, one of the top three lines in hockey, and I'm not talking about Pettersson as the 

third player; He needs his own line. They may just finally have that with Debrusk... 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

That's good work and well thought out..

The JT Miller - Boeser  line with the right ingredient added, could be, potentially, one of the top three lines in hockey, and I'm not talking about Pettersson as the 

third player; He needs his own line. They may just finally have that with Debrusk... 

Agreed, and I think Tocchet has the options to really have a well rounded forward group all capable of 15 minutes a night

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

It's possible, but I think they're pretty much done for now. They didn't sign Forbort, Desharnais and Myers just to move one of them now.

That said, I do think there's a good chance we'll make a play for defenseman at some point during the season, assuming that the bottom two pairings don't overperform. 

it could even be for a prospect d and maybe another RHC?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

So he's friend with Debrusk and Petterson, and pretty much said that he's been told he will have an opportunity to play with those 2 guys but he needs to work hard and earn a spot

Defenietly seems like a guy that's willing to work on his defensive game

I think not being signed right away maybe humbled him a bit

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Well he has the same deficiencies as Sprong. Not as good defensively and unlike Sprong, he does not have the foot speed. He had a really good season 2 years ago, but last season he regressed hard. We will see how he does, but it is a $3 million cap hit instead of a cap hit that is below $1 million.

Well, you know...if he's good at drawing penalties, they'll love him over in Edmonton.

6 minutes ago, bh90 said:

So he's friend with Debrusk and Petterson, and pretty much said that he's been told he will have an opportunity to play with those 2 guys but he needs to work hard and earn a spot

Defenietly seems like a guy that's willing to work on his defensive game

I think not being signed right away maybe humbled him a bit

Hogz played a lot of bottom 6 minutes last year and took advantage of it with some 5v5 goals and he got to play against lesser competition.

this gives bucks deepest forward group in the nhl.

a lot of options for lines or even trades especially if guys like Podz, Aman, PDG, Bains, Karlsson take a step.

lack of line options up front was something the club was loud about in the end of season presser

one thing I love about this management group was they identify the weakness and are accurate and then they do not wait to fix it

there will her a ton of competition at camp

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2024 at 2:55 AM, LillStrimma said:

How long will you continue talking about a GM as a scout? 

Benning was a disaster in every area thta belongs to a GM.

Say one thing he was really good at as a GM.

Communication?

Building contacts?

Being proffessional? 
Strong ethics? 
Talk to players? 🤣

Good time management?

5 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

everyone just loves tocchet right now, he is so hot,  hot hot hot hot hot Rick Tocchet 

Does this guy ever take time away from his job?  I mean, it's great and all, but I've never heard of

a coach standing out in the summer, or convincing UFA's to sign with his team.  Tic Tocc is a

wound up clock.

• Cheers 3