[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

But he's Petey's best friend and it caused him super huge emotional damage. 🤣 That argument was hilarious. In reality Petey was like man this Dahlen sucks, he may be my Swede buddy but I'm one of the best hockey players in the world. I ain't got the time or a care in the world about some crappy punk ass kid that can't even cut it in the AHL. I think this playing with friends angle is hilariously untrue at the elite NHL hockey level. Stars don't need to play NHL hockey with their friends in order to be successful.

If you think Bennings treatment of Dahlen didn’t affect Petey you got it all wrong.

If Benning still was a GM Petey would have asked for 13 mill, take it or leave it. 
They meet up every summer in Sundsvall and the shit that hit the fan in Vancouver isn’t anything to bother about…

That Dahlen didn’t cut it in NHL has nothing to do with it.

it showed how bad Benning was a t communications, handling the media etc.

• Haha 2
  • MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm no great fan of Benning but I wonder if he just wasn't Swedish enough for you.  🤣

Before you disagree, please note that I am half Swedish so I can't be more than half wrong.

Allvin has cut it though so I’m happy nowadays.

Hell, even JR seems a bit swedish. 

• Cheers 1

Hard not to like this move.  A .5 ppg player in his prime at slightly over league minimum?  For only one year? Even with his defensive shortcomings, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had higher offers from other teams.  He specifically chose the Canucks because he felt he could have a the best chance of having a solid year offensively and possibly improving his defensive game with our system.  This team is now fast becoming a preferred destination for free agents trying to resurrect their careers.

• Cheers 2
  • Wiener 1

18 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Overall a good summary.  Only disagree with two things.  The projected lineup at the end of the video would never have happened because of the butterfly effect..  he also gave Bennning credit for Petey and Hughes.  Benning had to be convinced to take Petey as he had his eyes on Glass.  If Benning got his way….Also, Hughes basically fell into our laps because Hayton, Koteniemi and Zadina were taken ahead.  Hughes was rated higher than Kots and Hayton.

1 hour ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i cant imagine moving Garland. Would be a wildly unnecessary risk. There are better places to free up salary if we end up needing to do so

What is a better place to free up significant salary?

Move Poolman okay, past that do we have a significant bad contract to move. Myers is next on the list or do you want to move Joshua instead?

Not saying I want to trade Garland (and I didn’t make that argument), there just isn’t really a bad contract on the team that could be moved. 

Edited by DrJockitch

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Step 1:  Trade Poolman LTIR to accrue significant cap for the TDL.

Step 2:  Sign Tyson Barrie or Oliver Kylington at a Sprong-like 1 year deal.

Step 3:  Trade for Claude Giroux as a rental at the TDL

Playoff Lineup:

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Giroux-Heinen

Joshua-Blueger-Garland (imagine being able to roll out this line as our 4th line!)

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Barrie

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais

Step 4:  Win Cup

I like everything about this except Barrie. The guy is awful and more of a liability than Cole was post-injury in the playoffs. And that's on his best days.

If we can trade Poolman, the accrued cap space allows for around 12+ million to be added. At that point, trade for both Giroux and Adam Larsson.

If we really want another puck mover on D, I'd rather sign Schultz. He's a proven winner and looked pretty good on a pair with Soucy in Seattle 2 tears ago. However, adding Larsson allows Hughes & Hronek to be split up.

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Giroux-Heinen

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hughes-Larsson

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers/Desharnais

Honestly, what team in the league would be better this?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

Well, if so he would have been fired after three seasons tops. 😉

That question you'll have direct at Aquilini... Its his club, and he makes the decisions...

Unless there is a President, whom the owner let dictate the roles of the employees, its up to the GM, who does what...

Nevermind, its all water under the bridge now, and think we all or close to all agree, we have a better management team now...

Lets just enjoy that, instead of wasting time slinging mud at folks, who isn't around any more... 🙂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

I like everything about this except Barrie. The guy is awful and more of a liability than Cole was post-injury in the playoffs. And that's on his best days.

If we can trade Poolman, the accrued cap space allows for around 12+ million to be added. At that point, trade for both Giroux and Adam Larsson.

If we really want another puck mover on D, I'd rather sign Schultz. He's a proven winner and looked pretty good on a pair with Soucy in Seattle 2 tears ago. However, adding Larsson allows Hughes & Hronek to be split up.

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Giroux-Heinen

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hughes-Larsson

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers/Desharnais

If they manage that line up, while having $3M of dead cap, they should start building a statue of JR and PA... This would definitely be a proper cup contending line up.... Bring it on.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Giroux-Heinen

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Hughes-Larsson

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers/Desharnais

Would love Larsson too, but I'm not sure Seattle would move him.  He's on an excellent cap hit.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If they manage that line up, while having $3M of dead cap, they should start building a statue of JR and PA... This would definitely be a proper cup contending line up.... Bring it on.

Agreed. I don't actually think bringing in Giroux is realistic. I do, however, think adding a Vatrano or Konecny up front could be done. 

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Vatrano-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Podkolzin

(Hoglander would likely be part of return for Vatrano)

This to me is a little more realistic and I still think it's one of the best forward groups in the league. I also have zero issue going into the playoffs with Blueger as the 3C. His shutdown game along with line chemistry makes me extremely confident in using him there.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Would love Larsson too, but I'm not sure Seattle would move him.  He's on an excellent cap hit.

He is. But I believe it expires after this year. If there any question of him re-signing, I feel like they'll move him. I just can't see Seattle being a playoff team next year.

3 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

Agreed. I don't actually think bringing in Giroux is realistic. I do, however, think adding a Vatrano or Konecny up front could be done. 

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong

Vatrano-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Podkolzin

(Hoglander would likely be part of return for Vatrano)

This to me is a little more realistic and I still think it's one of the best forward groups in the league. I also have zero issue going into the playoffs with Blueger as the 3C. His shutdown game along with line chemistry makes me extremely confident in using him there.

The options are plentiful, main due to a lot of good low pay moves by PA this offseason....

I have no issue With Bluger as 3C, But if we could get Giroux as our 3C it would be like Lindholm this past season... 

Bluger 4C and Suter on Millers wing... Like or loathe Suter as a top 6 player, but both Miller and Boeser were red hot with him on their wing.

I do believe, we'll see PA go all in if we are in the same position as last year come play offs time... Only two players I don't see be in play is Willander and Lekkerimaki, and of these 2 Willander the most secure...

Benning was a poor GM but the negative hyperbole about his tenure is what always gets me. I was told we were set back 10 years and we needed a proper rebuild like the Leafs did.  I was told the Kings were the team of the future and they had already lapped us in a rebuild.  Yet, here we are, likely ahead of both teams with the same core pieces we had all along.

Allvin and JR have highlighted the difference in communication, cohesiveness and attention to detail - and it’s colossal.  Castonguay has been excellent.  Vast improvements in player development.

And yet, they’ve obviously seen enough positives with what they inherited to stay the course and not rebuild.

_____-Miller-Boeser

______-Pettersson-Hoglander

______-______-Garland

Podkolzin-______-_______

Hughes-____
_____-Myers

_____-______
_____-Juulsen

Demko

Silovs

Still a lot of Benning holdovers 2 seasons and 3 summers later.  And let’s be honest: outside of OEL (which was a huge anchor) there wasn’t much to gripe about contract wise if they wanted to be just a little patient.

You could even argue they’ve been just as wanton with resources and picks. Brzustewicz, two 1sts, a bunch of 2nds and 3rds.  They’ve struggled to fill out the top 6 with two misses in Mikheyev and Kuzmenko. Rushed to move out Dickinson who just signed for 4.5. Bought out OEL when it was pretty likely he’d rebound this season.  What did they use the cap space on? Pius Suter.  (Awesome, IMO) but then the rest… re-signing Kuzmenko?  Not to be negative about them - overall the results have been fabulous.  And that’s the rub.  When you’re winning, no one is making videos re-living every mistake along the way. 

IMO the biggest positive has been Tocchet - and the communication between him and the front office. After that, perhaps unsurprisingly,JR/PA have been top notch finding cheap effective players to support the core. They have some experience with that from Pittsburgh, I guess!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Personally I would redeploy that money in a top 6 winger/center role or on the defence. The whole point of moving Garland is to stop overpaying bottom 6 players. Other teams can afford to do things like this but they are usually buoyed by having ELC's contributing in the top 6 forwards or top 4 defence.

I will concede it's up to management's vison but ultimately a younger, cheaper player to grow as a third line center with a future move to the to top 6 would be ideal. Of course you would have to draft or trade for that most likely. We'll see what happens ... there is a tonne of balls in the air at this point. Have to see how it all shakes out this year. No guarantee Tocchet redeploys the same configuration with all the signings we've made.

That’s probably what we’d do (or sign a 2-3 D man).  

I just think even putting that 5 mil back into the top 6, we probably can’t go strength on strength with say Edmonton.  Our depth really helped in the playoffs.

Not everything will work out as planned and PA has shown zero patience when guys aren’t fitting in.  Likely someone will be gone by the trade deadline.  Could be Garland, but it’s hard to guess! 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The options are plentiful, main due to a lot of good low pay moves by PA this offseason....

I have no issue With Bluger as 3C, But if we could get Giroux as our 3C it would be like Lindholm this past season... 

Bluger 4C and Suter on Millers wing... Like or loathe Suter as a top 6 player, but both Miller and Boeser were red hot with him on their wing.

I do believe, we'll see PA go all in if we are in the same position as last year come play offs time... Only two players I don't see be in play is Willander and Lekkerimaki, and of these 2 Willander the most secure...

I dont hate Suter as a top 6 winger. He does help out star players and you're right, he looked damn good with Miller and Boeser. 

Adding Giroux would be even better than Lindholm was but I think could cost a little more. 

As for the prospects, I agree Willander should be next to untouchable. I honestly think he's going to be in the same tier as Dobson and McAvoy. I do think we'll have 2 legit number 1 dmen. I would, however, consider moving Lekkermaki for the right player but it would take a lot to give him up.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

The counterargument would be that Garland already possesses immense chemistry with Joshua and Blueger.  If a quick and strong start is what we are looking for, it's not to acquire too many new guys so that the team is having to build chemistry before being a strong team unit.  My guess is Garland/Blueger/Joshua will be strong right out of the gate, and I think Suter will stay with Miller and Boeser to start for the same reason.  Eventually I could see Heinen or another making their way onto Miller's wing to have Suter back in a strong 4C role.

If we move Garland, we now have:

New Top 6 - Petey - New Top 6

New Top 6 - Miller - Boeser

New Middle 6 - Blueger - Joshua

New Bottom 6 - Suter - New Bottom 6

That would be all the lines, and half the forward group with new players.  Not the best way to be strong out of the gate. 

Keeping Garland and Suter where they are would ensure that 2 of the lines with strong chemistry are together to start the season.

Perhaps, but given the forwards we brought in I'm not convinced that he's the only player who could have success there. Yeah, he's a driver, that's exactly why he could be appealing to other teams. 

I'm not convinced Suter starts with Miller, I think both Heinen and Sprong will get plenty of opportunity to grab one of those slots alongside Pettersson and Miller. Suter playing center makes it all the more likely imo, he could be more valuable down the middle. Neither Sprong or Heinen play center. 

My guess would be that the the pecking order for center's down the middle next season looks like Pettersson, Miller, Blueger, and Suter. Aman may end up in Abbotsford. 

I suppose I just don't see a bunch of new forwards up front being as much of an issue, that's what training camp and preseason are for. 

I will say, it's more likely that Garland begins the season as a Canuck, but if we are to bring in a larger salary for whatever reason it'll probably be him being shipped out. Allvin's shown that he's an active GM, I doubt he'll stop checking in to see if he can improve the team going forward. 

Edited by Coconuts

If we make a rash decision on Garland now we might be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. He brings a lot and there's no guarantee that his intensity and offensive board work will be replaced.  I say wait and see. Wait and see what we got here with our revamped line up. Let them gel. 

We've got ltir of 2.5 coming up. Plus lose a couple low level contracts in Aman and PDG.  We've got extra defenseman in Abby to trade. 

Let PA have a chance to work his magic before Christmas 🎄 🎁 

ps fk Benning fk Gillis fk OEL fk Messier and fk Green 

Edited by Hairy Kneel