[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

I do wonder. 

Hoglander thrived around the same minutes as Sprong. With our 3rd being comprised of some amalgamation of Garland Dak Sherwood Heinen Suter Blueger all incredible checkers.

Would it not make sense to run Hogs Sprong as a tertiary scoring line. Our top 9 will surely be facing all of the top competition, leaving Hogs Sprong to feast on weaker matchups?

Also think we might finally see Aman put his best foot forward at some point when he draws in. The feather in our cap is Podz Bains Karlsson all look very close when the need for depth arises. PDG as essential as he was to us not just last year, may find himself passed on the depth chart getting stale in the pressbox while others are playing. 

People are all hopped up on fairness.

To be fair ...

In fairness ...

They want so badly to be fair. 

In fact ... and fairness ... Tocc gave Sprong the "to be fair" treatment and Sprong signed on dotted line, rocking back and forth in unison with Tocc in fairness. 

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

With all these shooters I have a feeling we're finally going to get a net front game like Tocchet has always wanted. There's so much garbage goals the we can pick up without painstakingly setting up skill shots. Garbage goal types: JT, Brock, DB, Heinan, Woody, Hogz, even Petie might get in the crease there too. Looking forward to the mix of skill and grit players. And the D too.

Bains is probably the best playmaker on the farm. I expect we will see him after x mas. 

Debrusk Miller Brock

Dak Pete Garland

Heinen Blueger Sherwood 

Hogz Suter Sprong 

May be how the lines play out in terms of 5v5 when the dust settles. Shiny new names are nice and potential is fun to consider. But I don't at this time see Heinen, Sprong, Sherwod,Hogz for that matter 5v5 playing top 6. All situations will come down to who gives us more of what we need situationally PP vs PK. If it was up to me I would play my best players as much as possible 5v5.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Debrusk Miller Brock

Dak Pete Garland

Heinen Blueger Sherwood 

Hogz Suter Sprong 

May be how the lines play out in terms of 5v5 when the dust settles. Shiny new names are nice and potential is fun to consider. But I don't at this time see Heinen, Sprong, Sherwod,Hogz for that matter 5v5 playing top 6. All situations will come down to who gives us more of what we need situationally PP vs PK. If it was up to me I would play my best players as much as possible 5v5.  

This is a good team. Add in our defence headlined by Hughes, and then our golatending tandem. The league is now on watch...

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

3 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m just tamping down the temperature, my friend. 

Don’t respond to others that are about to be banned. 

Report the post. 

DON’T ENGAGE. 

image.gif.30f00c237f9a875291f911dc58d5e6a8.gif

I get it and I will say you and all the other mods do great work trying to keep it a fun site while not letting discussions get too out of hand. I wasn't actually trying to start an argument or be snide with Canorth with my comment. I actually did have to wade through a novella's worth of posts bitching about Benning vs Gillis when all I wanted was to read about Sprong. That was all before I remembered the "ignore" feature exists for a reason, of course. 

I was just miffed in the moment because I felt that my words were quite neutral and that you were inferring a "tone" that didn't exist. But then with reflection, and given who we are as a fanbase (awesome!) I can definitely see how my words might have come across as snarky. Anyway, no biggie. I apologize and will be a little more mindful of my words going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Much like a few of our defensive prospects, who were buried behind new signings of defenseman, I think a few of our tweener prospects like Bains and Raty are going to have a very hard time escaping farm status. They're going to have to work very very hard.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

People are all hopped up on fairness.

To be fair ...

In fairness ...

They want so badly to be fair. 

In fact ... and fairness ... Tocc gave Sprong the "to be fair" treatment and Sprong signed on dotted line, rocking back and forth in unison with Tocc in fairness. 

200.gif

(Feels good to have the thread back where I can post stupid gifs for a cheap giggle.)

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, bh90 said:

I don't think I would unless there's a difference maker on the back end that yoh have a trade lined up for but just need cap space

I think we need a legit #3, 2LD to finish off the team. Our right side is 4 deep and strong. I like soucy and Forbot but both don't have a good track record of playing 82 games a year and our 4LD is who again?

This. Cap space when contending is only good if we can use it. Trading Garland for nothing makes less than zero sense, that leaves a massive hole in the roster that at best will cost as much or more to replace both in cap and assets. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This. Cap space when contending is only good if we can use it. Trading Garland for nothing makes less than zero sense, that leaves a massive hole in the roster that at best will cost as much or more to replace both in cap and assets. 

Would you do Garland+ for Provorov?

Big minute defenseman that's always played on bad teams, heavy d-zone usage but still put up decent numbers of terrible teams.

Hughes - Juulsen/Hronek/Deaharnais

Provorov - Hronek/Juulsen/Deaharnais

Soucy - Myers

Forbot - Juulsen/Desharnais

13 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Would you do Garland+ for Provorov?

Big minute defenseman that's always played on bad teams, heavy d-zone usage but still put up decent numbers of terrible teams.

Hughes - Juulsen/Hronek/Deaharnais

Provorov - Hronek/Juulsen/Deaharnais

Soucy - Myers

Forbot - Juulsen/Desharnais

Personally no, Is he minute munching because he's good or is he minute munching because no one else is available? Not a fan of the player myself. I would look elsewhere for a dman, first choice being Rasmus Andersson if I were to make a trade and Garland/Blueger/Joshua are all on my no trade list that line is so good on all areas of the ice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Plus we still have to make the playoffs & Garland helps in that.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/23/2024 at 4:31 PM, HarbularyBattery said:

Depends what the move is for

If you break up Garland-Joshua, you have to replace 50 pts + a play driver, and thats best case scenario. Worst case scenario, you also need to replace Joshua's production if he suffers due to worse chemistry with his new winger. It would already be a challenge to replace Garlands 50pts in a lateral trade with his cap hit. So realistically for it to make sense trading Garland for an "upgrade" at forward, you'd need to bring in a 30 goal/70pt scorer. Seems like a really tall order for his 5m cap hit. 

If youre looking to upgrade at D, the player we move has to come from there. If its a RD, you probably get rid of Desharnais. Assuming a move is made in October/Nov, thats about 5m in cap to work with to get a 2nd pairing defenseman, which is pretty doable. 

The risk now is probably over-tinkering. It doesnt make any sense to risk something that works, for a potential marginal upgrade. The big swings are done, now we have to see what we've got. 

To me bringing in Sprong means we have the ability to trade for the top 6 forward at some point.

Like you said see what we have but if we have a chance to upgrade the top 6 at this point or any point you do so.

If we want to compete we need another top six which thoughts are that's the next step to ensure we go deep in the playoffs.

Chemistry is key so by Xmas break we should make our move.

• Cheers 1

Sprong, like a couple of the other additions,  have the makings of the next Zadorov.  I say we have a plan to cash in on one forward or one defenseman before the TD. Couple that trade with the ltir and whatever we can save in cap. And spend it on a legit puck moving defenseman. 

21 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

To me bringing in Sprong means we have the ability to trade for the top 6 forward at some point.

Like you said see what we have but if we have a chance to upgrade the top 6 at this point or any point you do so.

If we want to compete we need another top six which thoughts are that's the next step to ensure we go deep in the playoffs.

Chemistry is key so by Xmas break we should make our move.

Sprong is awful defensively Garland is not, signing Sprong makes Podkolzin or PDG expendable not Garland 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Personally no, Is he minute munching because he's good or is he minute munching because no one else is available? Not a fan of the player myself. I would look elsewhere for a dman, first choice being Rasmus Andersson if I were to make a trade and Garland/Blueger/Joshua are all on my no trade list that line is so good on all areas of the ice. 

With Rasmus you get the same problem as Benning created with Hughes/OEL.

Hronek, Rasmus and Willander on the right side.

are they happy to share minutes etc? 

Just now, LillStrimma said:

With Rasmus you get the same problem as Benning created with Hughes/OEL.

Hronek, Rasmus and Willander on the right side.

are they happy to share minutes etc? 

Willander is not on the team and we're in win now mode and Andersson is much better defensively than OEL so no, you don't have the same problem at all. 

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

How far away are Willander and D Petie.

I'm hoping 2 years D Petie and 2.5 for Willander.

For forwards I think 6' 5" Ricky Bobby is 2 years away. Lekker I think is 1.5  years away. 

Love Ricky Bobby. If he ain’t first, he’s last.

IMG_1507.webp

• Haha 1