[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

How far away are Willander and D Petie.

I'm hoping 2 years D Petie and 2.5 for Willander.

For forwards I think 6' 5" Ricky Bobby is 2 years away. Lekker I think is 1.5  years away. 

I think willander is closer than that as soon as end of season 2025 almost certainly sometime in 2026

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

To me bringing in Sprong means we have the ability to trade for the top 6 forward at some point.

Like you said see what we have but if we have a chance to upgrade the top 6 at this point or any point you do so.

If we want to compete we need another top six which thoughts are that's the next step to ensure we go deep in the playoffs.

Chemistry is key so by Xmas break we should make our move.

If we are batting 1000 yeah.  I think we have to assume at least one of these signings will be in a square peg round hole situation. We brought in what 5 wingers, simple probability tells us one or two won’t work out.  I like the Sprong add but think he is 50:50 for finishing the year in Abby if he can’t add what Tocch want’s him too. 
Luckily PA is good at moving on from players that don’t fit for whatever reason.
I really believe half or more of NHL players are fairly interchangeable it is more about fit with coaching and teammates.
That is kind of how JR has really run things. Get a core and then interchange as many big fast players around them until finds a fit. 
It is how he ran Carolina, Pittsburgh and us so far. 

21 hours ago, Provost said:

Yes we are maximizing it, that doesn’t mean we are using it yet.

The team is within $15k of the cap which means they get effectively the full amount of Poolman’s salary as LTIR overage.  That is what maximizing it means.

If they are under and put him on they get less benefit from it because they only get benefit from what would be over the cap.

5A52CC46-E49A-47AD-BB56-4B01121BFC76.png

We must be talking about two different things because over the last few seasons, maximizing LTIR meant going over the cap by as close to 2.5 million as possible so we get the full amount for replacement players. I'm not sure what the rules are when we are under and not using the LTIR. Poolman is considered full time LTIR and isn't expected to play again. At the moment he is considered a roster player and his salary is counted towards the cap. I'm not sure what the benefit is that you are referring to.

We've got 2 years of bad OEL payments.  I think if we can get a good rookie addition in two years we can mitigate the OEL damage. That is of course having a ELC replace a 3-4M veteran.  I'm hoping it's Willander or D Petie.

I think the reasoning behind people saying trade Garland is that the money could be allocated to a top 4 dman. Very few players on our team that are “tradeable” and have value. There’s the new guys but that doesn’t look good on management signing and trading new guys. 

Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin are the only ones that have any trade value with the latter having very little at the moment. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I think the reasoning behind people saying trade Garland is that the money could be allocated to a top 4 dman. Very few players on our team that are “tradeable” and have value. There’s the new guys but that doesn’t look good on management signing and trading new guys. 

Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin are the only ones that have any trade value with the latter having very little at the moment. 

I think it's the "at the moment " as you say that befuddles me. IMO we shouldn't be making rash decisions or seemingly 'desperate' trades; because we can now trade from a position of strength.  Garland has been in the mix for more than 2 years now. I think he's worth more to us than to other teams.

Measured decisions is what I like about AP.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think it's the "at the moment " as you say that befuddles me. IMO we shouldn't be making rash decisions or seemingly 'desperate' trades; because we can now trade from a position of strength.  Garland has been in the mix for more than 2 years now. I think he's worth more to us than to other teams.

Measured decisions is what I like about AP.

Garland is a good player. But to get a good player in exchange you need to give up something of value. You won’t get a top 4 D man for a guy like Mikheyev for example. 
Only glaring weakness right now is our top 4 dman. Ideally Myers should be on our 3rd pairing. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-

Desharnais-Myers

Forbort 

18 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Garland is a good player. But to get a good player in exchange you need to give up something of value. You won’t get a top 4 D man for a guy like Mikheyev for example. 
Only glaring weakness right now is our top 4 dman. Ideally Myers should be on our 3rd pairing. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-

Desharnais-Myers

Forbort 

I'm wondering if Wolanin or Brisboise could fill in possibly till we find that guy?

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Willander is not on the team and we're in win now mode and Andersson is much better defensively than OEL so no, you don't have the same problem at all. 

Oops, I thought Rasmus had around Hroneks paycheck since he has been their 1st RHD for so long.

For that cap he’s perfect til Willander steps in.

• Cheers 1

Our D lines

Hughes Hronek 

_______  ________
Soucy Myers 

Forbort Desjarnais 

I would be ok with trading both Boeser and Garland if it meant we could fill those D spots with legit top 4 guys 

New forwards

Joshua Miller Hoglander 

Debrusk Pettersson Sprong 
Sherwood Blueger Karlsson 

Podkolzin Suter Heinen

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-

Desharnais-Myers

Forbort 

I'm curious to see how management is going to fill that hole. Either through trade, or a free agent signing? I wonder why Kylington hasn't been signed yet. 

7 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Our D lines

Hughes Hronek 

_______  ________
Soucy Myers 

Forbort Desjarnais 

I would be ok with trading both Boeser and Garland if it meant we could fill those D spots with legit top 4 guys 

New forwards

Joshua Miller Hoglander 

Debrusk Pettersson Sprong 
Sherwood Blueger Karlsson 

Podkolzin Suter Heinen

I think that’s a little excessive. We finally get another top 6 winger in Debrusk only to lose Boeser. Having Forbort & Desharnais as #7 & #8 is too low because we still have Juulsen. Realistically only need 1 guy for the second pairing so we can drop Myers to the third pairing where he would excel.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

If we are trading garland 

imo he represents the only inefficient contract on the Canucks he is 1.5 mill over paid so not terrible 

to CAR 

garland 

podz 

hogz

to VAN 

Necas 

3rd 

Sprong Petey Necas

Debrusk Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Sherwood 

pDG Aman Suter 

Edited by canucks curse
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

imo he represents the only inefficient contract on the Canucks he is 1.5 mill over paid so not terrible 

to CAR 

garland 

podz 

hogz

to VAN 

Necas 

3rd 

Sprong Petey Necas

Debrusk Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Sherwood 

pDG Aman Suter 

No thank you, garland is a line driver and that’s a massive overpayment 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm curious to see how management is going to fill that hole. Either through trade, or a free agent signing? I wonder why Kylington hasn't been signed yet. 

I'm wondering if they're trying to move Poolman's contract either along with Garland or some other sweetener that'll give them the cap space to add a top 4 Dman (now that we have a glut of wingers ?

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

to CAR 

garland 

podz 

hogz

to VAN 

Necas 

3rd 

Sprong Petey Necas

Debrusk Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Sherwood 

pDG Aman Suter 

Garland is a better 5 on 5 player than Necas and outscored him on it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canucks curse said:

to CAR 

garland 

podz 

hogz

to VAN 

Necas 

3rd 

Sprong Petey Necas

Debrusk Miller Brock 

Joshua Bluegger Sherwood 

pDG Aman Suter 

hate that 4th line... plus we need some ELCs in the lineup for the bad 2 OEL cap years coming up and not sure Lekki will be ready next season.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Zadorov wasn't acquired until pretty much a couple months into the season.  Now sure we were fortunate to get him for a pretty cheap price but I suspect management has a list of potential targets.  

• Cheers 1