[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

26 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Ya I really don't think people have thought this concept through. The only way to accrue capspace is to actually be under the cap. When have the Canucks ever been under the cap. Waiving good players to accrue a small amout of cap is backward thinking. 

Who said anything about waiving good players?

The players in the press box by definition aren’t very good.  Most guys clear waivers because every team has their own fringe guys who would in turn need to get waived.

Friedman/Aman/PDG just aren’t significant losses to the organization if they get claimed.

Most teams have been running below the roster maximimum of 23 players to save cap space.

This story is from last season.

6B21D652-22B4-4C9B-A59B-BF7699893B88.png

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

You think they will risk losing roster players via waivers to accrue a little bit of cap space? I don't think so

No, guys who have already cleared, will clear or aren't eligible

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Who said anything about waiving good players?

The players in the press box by definition aren’t very good.  Most guys clear waivers because every team has their own fringe guys who would in turn need to get waived.

Friedman/Aman/PDG just aren’t significant losses to the organization if they get claimed.

Most teams have been running below the roster maximimum of 23 players to save cap space.

This story is from last season.

6B21D652-22B4-4C9B-A59B-BF7699893B88.png

PDG was essential to our PK during the playoffs and played a significant shut down role for us 5v5. If we are at or near the top of the standings we won't be able to just pluck a player like that off waivers.

6 hours ago, Provost said:

Dude played half the season averaging 12 minutes a game, with a little more offensive deployment than defensive…. He is a below replacement level player.

If you can have infinite players on a roster sure, but folks have to stop fetishizing fringe NHLers.

He has been through waivers countless times and cleared.  Every team has a PDG in their organization.

Swap in Karlsson for PDG and you aren’t losing anything.  We signed a bunch of guys that push him further down the roster. 

If having an extra $2+ million in accrued cap space at the deadline for a playoff rental is the benefit vs. “possibly” losing PDG off waivers is the risk… that is a no brainer.  

$2+ million in cap space at the deadline could mean a top four D with 50% retained as a rental for a playoff run.  That is a huge benefit.

my main PDG memory is his "dad goal," followed by blown grade A opportunity after blown opportunity thereafter where he could have changed the outcome of the series. It is his lack of offensive touch that made us go get more guys like Sprong, Sherwood, heinen, these guys can play up the lineup, PDG cannot 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

my main PDG memory is his "dad goal," followed by blown grade A opportunity after blown opportunity thereafter where he could have changed the outcome of the series. It is his lack of offensive touch that made us go get more guys like Sprong, Sherwood, heinen, these guys can play up the lineup, PDG cannot 

After having a historically bad pk for several years our PK was still not in the top half of the league last year. PDG had the lowest high danger shots against per 60 of any Canuck on the pk. I can excuse a couple missed scoring opportunities.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

After having a historically bad pk for several years our PK was still not in the top half of the league last year. PDG had the lowest high danger shots against per 60 of any Canuck on the pk. I can excuse a couple missed scoring opportunities.

And only 2 goals against in 62.5min TOI short handed

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Dude played half the season averaging 12 minutes a game, with a little more offensive deployment than defensive…. He is a below replacement level player.

If you can have infinite players on a roster sure, but folks have to stop fetishizing fringe NHLers.

He has been through waivers countless times and cleared.  Every team has a PDG in their organization.

Swap in Karlsson for PDG and you aren’t losing anything.  We signed a bunch of guys that push him further down the roster. 

If having an extra $2+ million in accrued cap space at the deadline for a playoff rental is the benefit vs. “possibly” losing PDG off waivers is the risk… that is a no brainer.  

$2+ million in cap space at the deadline could mean a top four D with 50% retained as a rental for a playoff run.  That is a huge benefit.

Agreed. PDG is a fringe NHL player at best. His pk utility will be more than adequately replaced by Sherwood, Heinen, and Debrusk. 

On 8/7/2024 at 1:25 PM, Provost said:

I haven’t seen any rule about it, but there will be a lot of memorandums of understanding with specific instances like this.

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use both for one player.  I am sure there are instances where a player with a higher salary has replaced a player on LTIR… like in the offseason being above while knowing there is someone who will be on LTIR I don’t think there is any way they designate a specific player to replace that specific person who will go on LTIR.

It seems like it would be impossible to keep track of with varying injuries and replacements overlapping.

You can’t accrue dap space while in LTIR, but in this scenario we wouldn’t be in LTIR.  We would have simply locked in the allowed overage from Poolman for later if we needed it. 

Ideally we could move Poolman before the season and avoid all the possible complications.

Yeah, I just meant pro-rated deadline space. The rule I heard was always about the wording of placing a player on LITR. Something about you can then only replace that with a player of equal value, but not just treat it exactly as liquid cap space if that makes sense. It's something I read on Hater'sfourm boards 😄 so take with a grain of salt. There were several interpretations of how that worked.