[Signing] Daniel Sprong to the Canucks

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I wonder if this is an attempt to get better on power play #2?

If so, I'm hoping the time will be more evenly split between the units.

Oh man our pp sucked balls last year and killed us in the playoffs.  If Sprong fires up pp2 that will be great!

• Cheers 2

I’m honestly super surprised by this move. Sub 1 mil so don’t @ me about that.

MASSIVE potential to be an offensive contributor in the top 6. MASSIVE potential that he’s in the dog house from minute 1.

Can bury this contract easily in the AHL without implication. 10/10

edit: forgot what i actually want to say about this move. It’s very intriguing to see what this coaching staff could get out of a very one dimensional player. One dimensional is press box under Tocchet 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Nice signing! 
Need a few guys that can shoot like that.

What line does he land on? 4th?

He’ll fight with Hoglander and Heinen for a spot in the top 6 and I think Sprong will win a top 6 spot over one of those guys!

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hogs on the 4th seems like a waste... Maybe there is another trade cooking?

You might be right, or they may keep Hoglander around because the guy is like a Swiss army knife. The way this team is shaping up, we will be hard to defend.

You're right though, The Hog needs and deserves as close to full third minute ice time. He works his butt off. Can fill in on the top lines at any time when asked.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Porquois?

To add competition at camp so players have to compete for their spot.  And, also, to provide relief in case of injury.  I don't think that we should gift him a spot on the opening roster just because we signed him, he's going to have to work for it.  GCG!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

You might be right, or they may keep Hoglander around because the guy is like a Swiss army knife. The way this team is shaping up, we will be hard to defend.

You're right though, The Hog needs and deserves as close to full third minute ice time. He works his butt off. Can fill in on the top lines at any time when asked.

It would have to be to a team thats also taking poolmans contract.

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hogs on the 4th seems like a waste... Maybe there is another trade cooking?

I agree I’d probably move Heinen down to the 4th and have Hoglander with Miller and Boeser. Or keep Hoglander with Petey and DeBrusk and put Sprong with Miller and Boeser!

• ThereItIs 1

If he was able to score at that pace without any star player in last 2 years, I do not see any reason not to see his stats bumped up to a career high playing with Miller/Hughes/Petey with high skill type and inflate his stats a little bit and sign a big dollars elsewhere.  A smart individual with potential will want to play a team like the Canucks has if he is looking to cash in.  Ofttimes a player like that cash in with new team will revert back to the means so a smart way to get players like this.

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I agree I’d probably move Heinen down to the 4th and have Hoglander with Miller and Boeser. Or keep Hoglander with Petey and DeBrusk and put Sprong with Miller and Boeser!

At least it gives Tocc lots of options.

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

This forward group is going to be so well rounded this year and at extremely low risk with all of these small contracts to guys like Sprong, Heinen and Sherwood. This team is going to have so many options for what lines they can try and what kinds of guys they can give what roles. I think once they figure out who fits best where this is going to be an extremely dangerous forward group. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sounds like the drafting under Mike Gillis.🥸

Except Gillis was drafting (other than Hodgeson) in the bottom of round one because he built a great club. Whereas Benning, the moran, was picking top ten because he built loser clubs. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Fantastic analysis of Sprong. We're getting one hell of a player. This is a must watch!!!

Watching the video you have to think these a coachable issues... If not he can ask Kuz how the view is from the press box...

It looks a lot like the issues a lot of our players had under Bruce Boudreau... Simple safe set plays out from defence... will be interesting to see

• Cheers 3

Honestly I thought Sprong would be a PTO. Definitely can't complain for under $1M, but I do wonder what it means for the chances of Podkolzin making the roster or if he's a potential Höglander replacement should Höglander get used as a trade chip.

Just now, Diamonds said:

Honestly I thought Sprong would be a PTO. Definitely can't complain for under $1M, but I do wonder what it means for the chances of Podkolzin making the roster or if he's a potential Höglander replacement should Höglander get used as a trade chip.

Someone suggested a Garland trade as well... Which could make sense if Sprong is destined for the bottom 6.

Not sure I want to break up that third line tho. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3