Tenant in Metro Vancouver apartment advised against using Air Conditioning

samiamnot

33 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Our servers used to say that for years when they rang in lunch menu items 2 hours early at 10am... the eventual write-ups put a stop to that right quick. :classic_laugh:

Life comes at you quick lol

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Is it hot enough to need ac in Van?

I used to walk to school and home in the snow and it was uphill both ways and much hotter than it is now, people nowadays are so soft.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Just buy a portable ac and don't turn on the oven at the same time. If a circuit breaker blows that's what it's there for.

She needed her landlord to sign on so she could get the free one from bc hydro. Im assuming she cant afford one otherwise

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Thats a small body said:

She needed her landlord to sign on so she could get the free one from bc hydro. Im assuming she cant afford one otherwise

ACs are pretty pricy but not as expensive as they were the year of the heat dome

Not knocking the idea of AC, and some old folks could sure use it, but man is the world ever addicted to it.

I have a few old vehicles, none have AC. 

I was out yesterday, windows down, tunes up, it's summer! At stop lights, i noticed maybe 1 in 10 have their windows down. Everyone one is chilling in their temp controlled cabs. 

We're softer than we used to be. 

Also, when I used to visit Vegas a lot, I would start to hate the AC. I dont think it is good for the lungs.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Not knocking the idea of AC, and some old folks could sure use it, but man is the world ever addicted to it.

I was out yesterday, windows down, tunes up, it's summer! At stop lights, i noticed maybe 1 in 10 have their windows down. Everyone one is chilling in their temp controlled cabs. 

Also, when I used to visit Vegas a lot, I would start to hate the AC. I dont think it is good for the lungs.

AC saves lives

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Why? It's literally cooled air. 

On 7/20/2024 at 1:00 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

Why does this remind me of all the threads about a certain Tim Hortons location in Burnaby that has egg laying insects and homeless people?

first thought

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Why? It's literally cooled air. 

was just reading about an mma fighter moving out of Dubai because of it.

something about maybe not cleaned filters/ reclyced air etc..

Also, moving from warm to cold quickly can be tough on ones body. Its hard for those with asthma etc..

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

was just reading about an mma fighter moving out of Dubai because of it.

something about maybe not cleaned filters/ reclyced air etc..

Also, moving from warm to cold quickly can be tough on ones body. Its hard for those with asthma etc..

Point taken. Air conditioners can substantially lower humidity which can cause irritation. Whenever I travel my sinuses suffer from the change for a bit but you get used to it. I imagine Dubai gets pretty hot and humid in some months so the difference is probably pretty substantial indoors. I was just wondering if there was any long term health affects.

Btw I've got an old classic with vinyl seats and my backs been pretty wet and sticky the last few weeks, lol. I could certainly do without that but I couldn't imagine cruising with the windows up being nearly as much fun. I've been considering vintage air for the really bad days as a factory unit is like 5k for my vehicle. Disc brakes, power steering, motor and trans come first though so it's going to have to wait. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Hey stick the vent pipe up your kitchen vent hood of you have to.

In the last place I rented before I bought, the kitchen vent hood didn't go anywhere. The fan just blew all the fumes into the cupboard above the stove. Glad I'm out of there!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

In the last place I rented before I bought, the kitchen vent hood didn't go anywhere. The fan just blew all the fumes into the cupboard above the stove. Glad I'm out of there!

Recirculating range hoods are a thing, just not a good thing. They use carbon filters that need to be changed constantly and do sweet eff all for most smells and smoke. 

3 minutes ago, samiamnot said:

teach the rest of us your ways

Well, it's not as glamorous as it seems.  My (ex) wife and I own a farm and business together and neither of us wanted a divorce fire sale if our life and dislocate family members who livec on the property etc.  so, we've stayed "married" so we didn't have to divide it all up at the time.

I've been living off farm with my gf for 13 years.  Her and I both have jobs, but also work the farm as well.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, it's not as glamorous as it seems.  My (ex) wife and I own a farm and business together and neither of us wanted a divorce fire sale if our life and dislocate family members who livec on the property etc.  so, we've stayed "married" so we didn't have to divide it all up at the time.

I've been living off farm with my gf for 13 years.  Her and I both have jobs, but also work the farm as well.

.......very sister-wives

41 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Btw I've got an old classic 

what is it?

My Dart Swinger is about a month away from it resto being completed, rust fixed and new rear quarters . I'm stoked. I had the vinyl roof removed and had the roof just painted instead. I post a pic when its done. 

I've been driving my 84 VW Vanagon so far this summer, totally different than the Dodge but soo much fun to drive.