Daniel Sprong | #91 | RW

Jess

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Sprong is a really unique player: he scores at an incredibly high rate given the ice time he gets, so he's very very opportunistic. His defense isn't overly amazing, so he relies on the offense he provides to continue being of utility despite being a bottom six player. His offense reaches levels at times that suggest he might have top 6 potential. This is an astonishingly cheap contract for so much production.

I get the feeling we just replaced Kuzmenko for 80% less. Either he plays a little defence or RikTok runs him out of town. Either way it's a cheap experiment.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I get the feeling we just replaced Kuzmenko for 80% less. Either he plays a little defence or RikTok runs him out of town. Either way it's a cheap experiment.

If RT cannot work with him then PA can flip him to a team that needs offence. A cheap, free asset that can be experimented with. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Agreed.

Can you imagine if he gets into a place where Tochett can trust him in a Top6 spot and he scores 57 points (his pace with Seattle) while making less than $1m?

He'll be an all-time Canucks favourite.

21 hours ago, -AJ- said:

My observations from the stats:

- TOI suggests he's between a 3rd and 4th liner, but puts up elite 3rd liner offense levels

- Has twice in a row with different teams produced over 40 points, so can likely be relied on for 40-50 points

- Was on a 57-point pace in 2022-23 with the Kraken--unbelievable given he had 11:25 per game

- Average build

- 27 years old as of March 2024, so on the younger side for a UFA

- Doesn't hit particularly often

- Almost never blocks shots

- Poor giveaway/takeaway numbers

- Doesn't draw many penalties, but doesn't take many either

- Does not penalty kill

- Used on the 2nd PP for the Wings last year

- Pretty iffy Corsi, but most of the Red Wing forwards had poor Coris

- 48.5% OZ%, so average usage between offense and defense

- Highest scoring/60 of any Red Wings forward other than Berggren, who played only 12 games

- 3/9 career shootout

Sprong is a really unique player: he scores at an incredibly high rate given the ice time he gets, so he's very very opportunistic. His defense isn't overly amazing, so he relies on the offense he provides to continue being of utility despite being a bottom six player. His offense reaches levels at times that suggest he might have top 6 potential. This is an astonishingly cheap contract for so much production.

I’d argue that he actually puts up 2nd line numbers. The defence and lack of physicality is concerning…if we were paying more than a mil lol. 

I believe Andrei Kuzmenko is a better player in just about every way, but does this not look a bit like the unknown player we signed out of Russia? 

Almost identical physical stats...

Good shoot, good skating...

Under a million for the season...

It's kind of like a backpocket Kuzmenko/Kessel on the cheap.

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

I believe Andrei Kuzmenko is a better player in just about every way, but does this not look a bit like the unknown player we signed out of Russia? 

Well he better get ready to work hard, because Tocc won't tolerate someone who won't back check.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, nergish said:

If Sprong could replica Kuz numbers from his 1st season, I for one would be very pleased... 🙂

14 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hope he doesn't suck. Because we will never hear the end of it. :hurhur:

A 1 year deal. Worse case is that PA flips him to a team that needs scoring. PA is developing a lot of options to fine tune the roster for April next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Best Dutch player in the NHL right now!
Hup hup!

Here's hoping he sticks with the team, gels well and gets a DakJo or similar contract next year.
I was going to buy Zadorov as my next jersey if he signed but a fellow countryman would deffo be next in line for my favorite player 🙂

19 hours ago, nergish said:

Kuzmenko is a $5.5 million caphit. When he we traded him, he was struggling to score and also a liability in his own end. Even if Sprong is the exactly the same as Kuzmenko last season, he is still on a contract less than $1 million and can be buried in the minors if needed. This is a low risk, high reward signing.

I can see him line up next to Petey and Debrusk. He can help generate offense and can be protected playing alongside of 2 responsible 2-way players. As the game progresses, that winger role will see rotation as the Canucks try to protect the lead later in the game. He is pretty much Kuzmenko without the high caphit.

19 hours ago, nergish said:

It definitely feels like a first year Kuzmenko before his raise. I will counter that Kuzmenko actually isn't a very good skater though (slower than Boeser) and Sprong is significantly better in that department. Sprong also might have a more accurate shot, though Kuzmenko has better hands and hand-eye coordination.

I still don't love playing a guy who won't back check with Petey, but at least it's a very cheap gamble that could pay off big.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I'd wager Kuzmenko's offensive ceiling is vastly higher than that of Sprong's--I'd be stunned if Sprong could pot 39 goals. We're comparing Kuzmenko on a down year vs Sprong after his two best years yet. Average Kuzmenko is probably a 55-65 point player and average Sprong is probably a 40-50 point player--one is almost certainly a 2nd liner with 1st line play when he's hot and the other is a full line down from there--3rd line level with 2nd line play when he's hot.

Even still, at least in terms of bang for buck, he's a way better deal. Neither are great at defense nor are they physical.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1