Daniel Sprong | #91 | RW

Jess

On 7/20/2024 at 3:15 PM, Jess said:

My observations from the stats:

- TOI suggests he's between a 3rd and 4th liner, but puts up elite 3rd liner offense levels

- Has twice in a row with different teams produced over 40 points, so can likely be relied on for 40-50 points

- Was on a 57-point pace in 2022-23 with the Kraken--unbelievable given he had 11:25 per game

- Average build

- 27 years old as of March 2024, so on the younger side for a UFA

- Doesn't hit particularly often

- Almost never blocks shots

- Poor giveaway/takeaway numbers

- Doesn't draw many penalties, but doesn't take many either

- Does not penalty kill

- Used on the 2nd PP for the Wings last year

- Pretty iffy Corsi, but most of the Red Wing forwards had poor Corsi

- 48.5% OZ%, so average usage between offense and defense

- Highest scoring/60 of any Red Wings forward other than Berggren, who played only 12 games

- 3/9 career shootout

Sprong is a really unique player: he scores at an incredibly high rate given the ice time he gets, so he's very very opportunistic. His defense isn't overly amazing, so he relies on the offense he provides to continue being of utility despite being a bottom six player. His offense reaches levels at times that suggest he might have top 6 potential. This is an astonishingly cheap contract for so much production.

I think this is a very good signing and for under 1 million is a great deal. Predict GP 75 - G 17--20 -- PTS. 32 - 38 playing around 13 mins with some top 6 at times..

Last year with the Detroit Red Wings, Sprong had 18 goals and 43 points while averaging 12:00 minutes of ice time. Two seasons ago with the Seattle Kraken, Sprong scored 21 goals and 46 points while averaging 11:25 minutes of ice time. Vancouver signed him to a one-year, $975k “prove it” deal; even Vancouver’s President of Hockey Operations, Jim Rutherford, acknowledged this:
“Certainly, based on the year he had last year, deserved to get a bigger contract than he got, but he recognized where he was at,” said Rutherford.
In his signing interview, Sprong made it clear that he traded money this season for an opportunity to play in a competitive market:
“I wanted to put myself in a situation where I can be happy and be in a situation where an opportunity is and be a part of a good team and an opportunity for me to be somewhere long term.”

Multiple highlights in this article..........

• Like 1

• Jess changed the title to Daniel Sprong | #91 | RW
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Gotta love that he comes with an understanding of being a key piece whether its top 6 or depth, he knows he is a valuable piece anywhere in the roster and I believe he does deserve a look in the top 6. He has pretty good wheels from what I recall, great shot and good hands

• Cheers 1