Blast from the Past: Game 4 of 1982 Stanley Cup Final, Islanders vs. Canucks

18 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Wait until you see what Billy Smith gets away with on Smyl in the late going.

Wow, yeah that's a couple games. "That's just how he plays." gave me a chuckle.:classic_laugh:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Wow, yeah that's a couple games. "That's just how he plays." gave me a chuckle.:classic_laugh:

Smyl is a legend.  Kept his cool with blood running down his face to make sure his team didn't go down shorthanded when they needed to score.  Way more manly than Sedin letting Marchand speedbag his face.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

After the Islanders got Goring, that team could play it pretty much any style (whether it by the classic Bruins style or the classic Habs style).  At least David had a sling when he faced Goliath.  We (Canucks) in 1982 went against that hall of famer stacked Islanders squad without our Captain.

• Like 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

After the Islanders got Goring, that team could play it pretty much any style (whether it by the classic Bruins style or the classic Habs style).  At least David had a sling when he faced Goliath.  We (Canucks) in 1982 went against that hall of famer stacked Islanders squad without our Captain.

We went the entire playoffs without either Kevin McCarthy or Rick Lanz, both 50 point defensemen who would have probably been the 2nd best D-man on the Islanders dynasty (McCarthy for sure would have been).  Still without them got to the final on an 11-2 run (one of the most dominant runs to the final in NHL history) and with those two I'm quite confident we would have won that first game of the final (that went to overtime without them) and then, who knows...

Goring...hell of a player.  I have him as an induction in my Hall of Fame thread.  Guy won three different trophies in addition to his four Cups.  He and Tonelli were very close to Clark Gillies in terms of HOF credentials and he is in.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

We went the entire playoffs without either Kevin McCarthy or Rick Lanz, both 50 point defensemen who would have probably been the 2nd best D-man on the Islanders dynasty (McCarthy for sure would have been).  Still without them got to the final on an 11-2 run (one of the most dominant runs to the final in NHL history) and with those two I'm quite confident we would have won that first game of the final (that went to overtime without them) and then, who knows...

Goring...hell of a player.  I have him as an induction in my Hall of Fame thread.  Guy won three different trophies in addition to his four Cups.  He and Tonelli were very close to Clark Gillies in terms of HOF credentials and he is in.

We lost a crucial veteran D, Jiri Bubla, for the '82 playoffs as well.  That's why no-name minor leaguers, like Neil Belland and Andy Schliebener, had to play major roles in our first ever Stanley Cup drive.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:16 AM, Chickenspear said:

Just over 3:30 in, and my modern hockey rule conditioned brain called about 15 penalties already.:classic_laugh:

3:45 "bodies flying all over the place"

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 12:46 AM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

We lost a crucial veteran D, Jiri Bubla, for the '82 playoffs as well.  That's why no-name minor leaguers, like Neil Belland and Andy Schliebener, had to play major roles in our first ever Stanley Cup drive.

Heh he was a 32 year old "rookie" like Ivan Hlinka.  Those Czechs really served us well in '82.  I remember Jiri Bubla running into drug troubles and it being huge news back then...like Steve Fonyo and Grant Fuhr.

On 7/26/2024 at 6:37 AM, Kevin Biestra said:

Heh he was a 32 year old "rookie" like Ivan Hlinka.  Those Czechs really served us well in '82.  I remember Jiri Bubla running into drug troubles and it being huge news back then...like Steve Fonyo and Grant Fuhr.

My memory might be off but I swear Hlinka actually was a possible at some point Calder Trophy candidate given his decent run in the regular season.  Then I *think* the team had their customary slump early in the new year before the incident in Quebec City,?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

My memory might be off but I swear Hlinka actually was a possible at some point Calder Trophy candidate given his decent run in the regular season.  Then I *think* the team had their customary slump early in the new year before the incident in Quebec City,?

Hlinka had a very nice rookie year but 1982 always belonged to Hawerchuk who had the very rare accomplishment of 100+ points.  Hlinka was also cursed by being part of a phenomenal crop of rookies: Barry Pederson 92 points, Neal Broten 98 points, Marian Stastny 89 points, several more in the 60s and 70s and then Grant Fuhr and Rick Wamsley as goalies.

Broten would have won the Calder almost any other year and Pederson most years.

Both Pavel Bure and Elias Pettersson won the Calder for the Canucks with numbers pretty similar to Hlinka's.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hlinka had a very nice rookie year but 1982 always belonged to Hawerchuk who had the very rare accomplishment of 100+ points.  Hlinka was also cursed by being part of a phenomenal crop of rookies: Barry Pederson 92 points, Neal Broten 98 points, Marian Stastny 89 points, several more in the 60s and 70s and then Grant Fuhr and Rick Wamsley as goalies.

Broten would have won the Calder almost any other year and Pederson most years.

Both Pavel Bure and Elias Pettersson won the Calder for the Canucks with numbers pretty similar to Hlinka's.

I'll always remember his faceoff in that key moment in 1987:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'll always remember his faceoff in that key moment in 1987:

I think at the very first team meeting for the tournament if I remember correctly, Hawerchuk volunteered to be a 4th liner if that was the role that best served the team.  Guy had very little ego for such a legendary player.  Didn't really complain when Keenan scratched him in front of his dying grandmother...Brett Hull was the one that stood up for him.

• Cheers 1

On 8/1/2024 at 2:00 PM, Kevin Biestra said:

I think at the very first team meeting for the tournament if I remember correctly, Hawerchuk volunteered to be a 4th liner if that was the role that best served the team.  Guy had very little ego for such a legendary player.  Didn't really complain when Keenan scratched him in front of his dying grandmother...Brett Hull was the one that stood up for him.

Yet *ANOTHER* reason to think Mike Keenan was a *HORRIBLE* human being:

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2020/2/27/21154074/revisiting-the-rat#:~:text=Hull especially remembered when “Dale,ever seen in my life.”

"Hull especially remembered when “Dale Hawerchuk’s grandmother was dying, he’s from just outside Buffalo, and we were going to play the Sabres and his grandmother was coming to watch him play for the last time. And Mike Keenan sat him out on purpose. That’s the lowest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

😡

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yet *ANOTHER* reason to think Mike Keenan was a *HORRIBLE* human being:

https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2020/2/27/21154074/revisiting-the-rat#:~:text=Hull especially remembered when “Dale,ever seen in my life.”

"Hull especially remembered when “Dale Hawerchuk’s grandmother was dying, he’s from just outside Buffalo, and we were going to play the Sabres and his grandmother was coming to watch him play for the last time. And Mike Keenan sat him out on purpose. That’s the lowest thing I’ve ever seen in my life.”

😡

Yeah Keenan is a legit sadist. 

• Upvote 1