Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

The Opening Ceremony for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games will be on Friday, July 26 at 11:00am PDT.

However, competitions start earlier - on Wednesday July 24.  Men's Soccer and Rugby Seven matches will be played.  The first competition of the Summer Olympics will be a soccer match between Argentina and Morocco at 6am PDT if you want to get an early jump on things.

The first competition involving Canada will be on Thursday July 25.   The Canadian Women's soccer team will play New Zealand at 8am PDT.

The Canadian Olympic Committee has set up a useful web site at:

https://olympic.ca/schedule-paris-2024-olympic-games/

They have a daily schedule showing all events using your local time.   As well, you can filter the schedule to show only competitions involving Canada and/or Medal Events. 

Let the Games begin! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

surfing competition will be in Tahiti starting July 26 at one of the best and craziest surf spots in the world

Could be dangerous to some of the surfers if it is maxing but that depends on the selection process I guess. Im picturing a surfer from the country Chad paddling out here!!! Yikes.

Doesnt look like the wave forecast will be maxing, as per video below, so that may save some surfers from serious injury if they are not prepared. It might be head high to start and after that the forecast isnt reliable yet.

Definitely a far cry from the waves they had in Japan at last Olympics

I will also be keen to watch the Canada Mens Indoor Volleyball.

I believe they made quarter final in recent VNL tourney losing to semi-finalist Japan.

Japan will also be a fun team to watch. Watch for this guy Nishida...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

surfing competition will be in Tahiti starting July 26 at one of the best and craziest surf spots in the world

Could be dangerous to some of the surfers if it is maxing but that depends on the selection process I guess. Im picturing a surfer from the country Chad paddling out here!!! Yikes.

Doesnt look like the wave forecast will be maxing, as per video below, so that may save some surfers from serious injury if they are not prepared. It might be head high to start and after that the forecast isnt reliable yet.

Definitely a far cry from the waves they had in Japan at last Olympics

This will be insane as the forecast looks really good for the Friday and Saturday in the waiting period.  It will be a John John Medina show

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I can't help but worry for the swimmers who will be using that (hopefully now "previously") shit-infested Seine as their field of play. :classic_unsure:

I saw the Mayor went for a swim to show everyone it was okay. 🙂

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I can't help but worry for the swimmers who will be using that (hopefully now "previously") shit-infested Seine as their field of play. :classic_unsure:

You definitely would want to keep your mouth closed.....:classic_unsure:

Oh right this is happening.

Those team Canada uniforms are ugly. Can't believe Lulu dropped the ball that hard after giving us the banger that is 2022.

12 hours ago, Bell said:

This will be insane as the forecast looks really good for the Friday and Saturday in the waiting period.  It will be a John John Medina show

Im not sure Medina is competing. I think the Brazilian surfers may be Italo and Toledo. Seem to recall people saying Toledo should let Medina compete since Toledo is scared of big waves. He has gone out a few times at Chopes and Pipeline and laid goose eggs.

10 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

Im not sure Medina is competing. I think the Brazilian surfers may be Italo and Toledo. Seem to recall people saying Toledo should let Medina compete since Toledo is scared of big waves. He has gone out a few times at Chopes and Pipeline and laid goose eggs.

Didn't realize Medina wasn't surfing the Olympics.  You are right in Toledo likes big waves as much as me, he is chicken.  Should be a stellar event

Bev Priestman will miss the opener of the womens soccer competition, thanks to the "Drone" incident. (It appears as though this decision was made by Priestman herself....possibly with input from Soccer Canada)

In case you missed it, one of the Canadian assistants was caught flying a drone over the field where New Zealand was practicing. Two people have been sent home.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/article/canadian-womens-soccer-coach-bev-priestman-out-for-olympic-opener-after-drone-incident/

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Bev Priestman will miss the opener of the womens soccer competition, thanks to the "Drone" incident. (It appears as though this decision was made by Priestman herself....possibly with input from Soccer Canada)

In case you missed it, one of the Canadian assistants was caught flying a drone over the field where New Zealand was practicing. Two people have been sent home.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/article/canadian-womens-soccer-coach-bev-priestman-out-for-olympic-opener-after-drone-incident/

Hard to believe she wouldn’t have had knowledge of this. They’ve brought disgrace to team Canada before the Olympics even begin…

She’s gotta go. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

An unbelievably stupid act by the assistant.  Something like this casts a pall over, not just the Women's Soccer team, but over the entire Canadian Olympic team.

And keep in mind, Canada's world ranking in Women's Soccer is #10.   New Zealand's ranking is #28.  Totally unnecessary.

And while Priestman has self-imposed the one game absence, it remains to be seen what the Olympic disciplinary committee decides.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Gonna be interesting to see how the crowd reacts to tomorrow's game - 8am on CBC.  I'm guessing we're going to hear a few whistles from the neutrals at the game.

Just now, UnkNuk said:

An unbelievably stupid act by the assistant.  Something like this casts a pall over, not just the Women's Soccer team, but over the entire Canadian Olympic team.

And keep in mind, Canada's world ranking in Women's Soccer is #10.   New Zealand's ranking is #28.  Totally unnecessary.

And while Priestman has self-imposed the one game absence, it remains to be seen what the Olympic disciplinary committee decides.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Gonna be interesting to see how the crowd reacts to tomorrow's game - 8am on CBC.  I'm guessing we're going to hear a few whistles from the neutrals at the game.

Yeah, Canada is going to be the bad guys for sure. I feel sorry for the players, since they had nothing to do with it, but will undoubtedly bear the brunt of the anger from fans.

Hard to fathom the thinking (if there was any) from the two who were sent home. As you say, Canada is ranked way ahead of NZ. Not only that, but Priestman used to be part of the NZ women's program.....there would have been few secrets anyway.

• Cheers 1

And in other Olympic soccer news:

Argentina v Morocco at Olympics mired in chaos following pitch invasion

The Argentina coach Javier Mascherano said he had never witnessed such a circus after a pitch invasion triggered a dramatic and long-delayed climax to the country’s 2-1 defeat against Morocco in their Olympic opener in Saint-Etienne on Wednesday.

The match on the first day of men’s football at the Games was mired in chaos after a pitch invasion forced it to be suspended for more than an hour. Play eventually resumed behind closed doors and although Cristian Medina thought he had salvaged a 2-2 draw for Argentina, when he scored deep into injury time, the goal was subsequently ruled out for offside by VAR when play resumed for a few minutes after the long stoppage to clear the stadium of fans.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/jul/24/argentina-salvage-last-gasp-draw-against-morocco-as-fans-invade-pitch

Saw a 'hit' on Sportnet with Arash Madani- and he mentions that this is not the first drone incident, seems the media in a different country mentioned complaints from their own national team- about Canada doing drone work.

fire everyone that knew.

I'm Just so tired of cheaters.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

damn a 8 month suspended sentence.. so a criminal record for the drone operator.. france is not playing around

And that's another thing.  French authorities are, sadly and understandably, concerned about security - possible terror attacks.  So what does some Canadian idiot do?  Send an unauthorized drone through an Olympic site!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

• Vintage 1