Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Missouri Secretary of State, Valentina Gomez has some thoughts on the gender "controversy".....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/republican-declares-keep-women-s-sports-female-in-slur-filled-screed-targeting-boxer/ar-BB1r3BIU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=315c53f599d64609af9116d811e5ddfe&ei=30

This is an actual elected official in the USA....:picard:

Luckily she's just a candidate.  God help Missouri if she wins though.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Missouri Secretary of State, Valentina Gomez has some thoughts on the gender "controversy".....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/republican-declares-keep-women-s-sports-female-in-slur-filled-screed-targeting-boxer/ar-BB1r3BIU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=315c53f599d64609af9116d811e5ddfe&ei=30

Ha ha what a pathetic snow flake.

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Making a mockery of these so called Christians? Yes give me more. 

That is my junk food. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Misread that. Thanks.

Yes. Lets hope she loses....bigly....

This is Missouri, she is gonna win in a landslide. 

Edited by 24K

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yep...he did (drop an f bomb)...thought so. 

Pretty sure that if I were to say on national (international?) television...

"I think I interpreted that policy really, really fucking well" or

"I think I taught that really, really fucking well" or

"I think I gave CPR really, really fucking well" or

"I think I served that dish really, really fucking well" or... you get the point

if I were to say that on (inter)national television, I'd be fired from my job pretty fucking quickly.  :classic_ninja:

Not to say that he didn't run it really really fucking well - he probably did - but it's one of the few instances where top athletes of the world can get away with shit that us plebs can't. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

This is why I'd like to see more credit/sunshine towards those that were dang close.

This guy might have placed 3rd-except perhaps for a  puff of wind  that was blowing 2 kilometres/phr faster on him, than the guy that is 20 feet in front of him.

Out of all the “near misses” for a medal, he was the one I had the most sympathy for.  That final sprint was heartbreaking in a way.  He gave everything he had and emptied his tank.  It’s almost better to finish 5th or 6th.  4th is just so tough.  I can’t help but wonder why the back markers being lapped aren’t required to move out a lane to allow the top runners to compete without impediments.  Funny how the announcers kept thinking the eventual winner was being lapped and questioned why he was impeding the front pack.

Edited by coho8888
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

US and Argentina both eliminated in men's soccer. Too Canadian men wasn't in this. They probably fair better than US. 

It is U23 for men. Don't read too much into this. 

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

It is U23 for men. Don't read too much into this. 

I see. Had to look it up. No Messi or Mbappe. No big stars. 

"Not every men’s soccer player in the Olympics will be under 23 years old. Each country has up to three spots on the roster to grant to overage players.

Most notably, France was potentially going to use one this year on Mbappe — but his new club team, Real Madrid, would not allow him to compete in the Olympics."

Hope Morocco or Egypt takes it. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/why-is-mens-soccer-u23-at-2024-paris-olympics-explaining-rule-dating-back-to-barcelona-games/ar-BB1qxo0z?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Pretty sure that if I were to say on national (international?) television...

"I think I interpreted that policy really, really fucking well" or

"I think I taught that really, really fucking well" or

"I think I gave CPR really, really fucking well" or

"I think I served that dish really, really fucking well" or... you get the point

if I were to say that on (inter)national television, I'd be fired from my job pretty fucking quickly.  :classic_ninja:

Not to say that he didn't run it really really fucking well - he probably did - but it's one of the few instances where top athletes of the world can get away with shit that us plebs can't. 

I’m old enough to remember Gregg Boddy dropping an f-bomb in the Canucks dressing room while doing a post game playoff interview on CKNW back in the 70’s. I don’t remember who they beat, but the interviewer sputtered and paused, and said Gregg we’re on live. Hilarious indeed, I couldn’t believe they played the interview the next day as well. I think it was on the Sunday afternoon Dave McCormick show at the time when NW did Canucks hockey. Robson and Larchied were the best.

Edited by Johngould21
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I’m old enough to remember Gregg Boddy dropping an f-bomb in the Canucks dressing room while doing a post game playoff interview on CKNW back in the 70’s. I don’t remember who they beat, but the interviewer sputtered and paused, and said Gregg we’re on live. Hilarious indeed, I couldn’t believe they played the interview the next day as well. I think it was on the Sunday afternoon Dave McCormick show at the time when NW did Canucks hockey. Robson and Larchied were the best.

I remember it well. The Canucks had just clinched a playoff spot for the first time and John McKeachie was doing the dressing room interviews with the players. I thought it was Gerry O'Flaherty that said, and I quote "Just a great fucking season". McKeachie mumbled something about being live on air, but it absolutely happened. Looking back, it may have been the first time I had ever heard that word on public air waves.

Edit: I did a little digging and the game was played April 4, 1975. With three games left in the season, Vancouver and St. Louis were tied for first place in the Smythe Division. St. Louis lost one and won their last two. Vancouver won their final three, finishing 2 points up on the Blues. Oh, and the game winning goal in a 4-1 win over Minnesota was scored by John Gould.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

I remember it well. The Canucks had just clinched a playoff spot for the first time and John McKeachie was doing the dressing room interviews with the players. I thought it was Gerry O'Flaherty that said, and I quote "Just a great fucking season". McKeachie mumbled something about being live on air, but it absolutely happened. Looking back, it may have been the first time I had ever heard that word on public air waves.

Edit: I did a little digging and the game was played April 4, 1975. With three games left in the season, Vancouver and St. Louis were tied for first place in the Smythe Division. St. Louis lost one and won their last two. Vancouver won their final three, finishing 2 points up on the Blues. Oh, and the game winning goal in a 4-1 win over Minnesota was scored by John Gould.

Back when I had hands, lol! I actually got into an hour session at 4 Rinks when Gregg Boddy was out of the League, late 70's. I stole the puck from him and scored a goal. I should be in the Ring of Honour at least don't you think????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I see. Had to look it up. No Messi or Mbappe. No big stars. 

"Not every men’s soccer player in the Olympics will be under 23 years old. Each country has up to three spots on the roster to grant to overage players.

Most notably, France was potentially going to use one this year on Mbappe — but his new club team, Real Madrid, would not allow him to compete in the Olympics."

Hope Morocco or Egypt takes it. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/why-is-mens-soccer-u23-at-2024-paris-olympics-explaining-rule-dating-back-to-barcelona-games/ar-BB1qxo0z?ocid=BingNewsSerp

A lot of the bigger names that could have taken an overage spot if the country permitted them didn't want to/or not permitted to by their clubs due to the Euros & Copa America being so close to the Olympics as well as the Olympics are not on the FIFA calendar meaning teams are not forced to give up their players for the tourney.

44 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Back when I had hands, lol! I actually got into an hour session at 4 Rinks when Gregg Boddy was out of the League, late 70's. I stole the puck from him and scored a goal. I should be in the Ring of Honour at least don't you think????

Pfft, I scored a hat trick playing against Peter Nedved then my wife (girlfriend at the time) shot him down, if that ain't HOF worthy I don't know what is.

• Haha 1