Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

I'm glad they have made the form in Foil less rigid. I always thought it was silly you had to bring non-foil arm up after a lunge. That's why I always preferred the Sabre.

But I didn't have nearly the reaction time for fencing.

Here's from 1972 to show what I mean.

Meanwhile, our Rugby Sevens women got smacked 33-7 by New Zealand.

And I may have misunderestimated China.  They stomped Fiji 40-12.

Which means tomorrow's game (7 am) against China may be a lot tougher than I thought.

Lesson:  Don't make predictions about a sport you know nothing about after one or two games.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Some history lessons for those that didn't understand the opening ceremony.  It wasn't even the last supper (which wasn't even a contemporary painting of the supposed actual event anyway). 

Best comment:

"If some of you weren’t so busy trying to end the Dept. of Education, you might know this.

Loosen the clutch on your pearls and get your panties pulled out of your A** 😉

I really wish they had included the scene of the French castle guards mocking King Arthur....

"Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!"

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I don't understand rugby (I get most sports).

It's like drunk football with no rules where the refs left and went home.

Tackle, all fight for the ball and rip it away from the person on the ground then....just keep going.

Bingo.  It's a 14 minute gang fight.

And "just keep going" is right.  Even after the horn blows to end the game.  :classic_blink:

39 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

That save by Sheridan at 8 min of extra time reminded me the Luongo save he made in Olympic final 2010 overtime. Absolutely insane save in the crucial time.  

• Like 1
  • Desmenko 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Meanwhile, our Rugby Sevens women got smacked 33-7 by New Zealand.

And I may have misunderestimated China.  They stomped Fiji 40-12.

Which means tomorrow's game (7 am) against China may be a lot tougher than I thought.

Lesson:  Don't make predictions about a sport you know nothing about after one or two games.

Rugby 7's is so fast, and things can change so quickly. The only constant is the Kiwi's. They are always tough. Men or Women's teams.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

All other third place teams have 3 points already so Canada probably must secure the 2nd spot in their group to advance. 

Screenshot_20240728-202711.png

Screenshot_20240728-202735.png

Obviously it’s a must win but if they do win, unless I’m mistaken, they are guaranteed 2nd place, I see no scenario where they’d finish 3rd with a win.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Obviously it’s a must win but if they do win, unless I’m mistaken, they are guaranteed 2nd place, I see no scenario where they’d finish 3rd with a win.

Nice Stadium, Nice

Wednesday 31 July 2024 15:00 ET. 

Noon in the west coast. 

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

France plays NZ at Lyon at the same time. 

Meh, that game doesn’t matter much, I guess if New Zealand beats them by less than 6 and we win we get 1st place.

Looking at Monday's schedule, here's what jumped out to me:

A lot of Women Rugby Sevens stuff:

7:00am  Canada plays China

11am to noon:  Classification Rounds (whatever they are)

Noon:  Rugby Seven quarterfinals (I'm assuming Canada will be in them)

11:30am Swimming Women's 400 Individual medley.  Presumably Summer MacIntosh goes for a medal after the heats earlier in the day.

12:41pm  Swimming Womens 200 freestyle.  Canadian Mary Sophie Harvey goes for medal.

8 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Looks like the spectre of Olympic boxing judging corruption/ineptitude has (once again) reared it's ugly head:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/boxing/team-gb-boxer-left-in-tears-as-fans-boo-controversial-defeat-at-paris-olympics/ar-BB1qM3I1?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=265fb16408f74a098dff0a83322aaa6d&ei=10

If youre familiar w Shawn Porter, he’s long advocated for getting former fighters to become refs.  Sometimes trained refs dont understand glancing/blocked punches but that’s more so on the professional side.  

It used to be on the amateur side you would have 4 judges, one on each side of the ring and 3/4 had to input “score” when a punched landed/scored.  Based on your description maybe that system has changed and judges have independent scorecards now.  Been awhile for me since Ive followed the amateur side closely. 

Ill have to watch the fight you referenced 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Play by play leading to the winning goal. 

I definitely cheered that play when it was happening.

Hell of a run and then even goes on to make a great feed that leads to the goal.

Shades on Tambellini on Erat for those that remember. 🤣

• Haha 1

Can't stand Djokovic....turned on the match just as Rafa started turning it around.

Let's go Rafa! Liked him ever since I learned his idol was Andre Agassi. In his corner for sure.

Screw cocky, arrogant Djokovic!