Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

25 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I was reading about this earlier this morning.....from what I could gather, the match had gone into "Golden Time" which is what extra time is called in Judo, I guess....

The Korean competitor was assessed a penalty for something. (the article didn't specify what that something was) Apparently Golden Time is equivalent to "sudden death" overtime, meaning the penalty point won the match for Deguchi.

Both competitors were already given 2 penalties. I believe 3 penalties is a DQ regardless if its normal or golden time. In this case, the Korean competitor was assessed a penalty (3rd) likely for some sort of false attack. No idea how that is determined but it seems like penalties can be given for not engaging enough, falsely engaging numerous times, or "turtling".

This is what observed from watching 20 minutes of Judo  :hurhur:

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I just watched.

I have no idea what is going on lol

I watched the semi-finals.  I had the same reaction.  Numerous take-downs to seemingly no effect.  The Canadian girl got a point which was then taken away from her.  The match ended 0-0 and went into extra time.  The French girl took a third penalty and was disqualified.

A very unusual sport.

Canada beat China 26-17 in Women's Rugby Sevens this morning.

Canada plays France in the quarterfinals at 1pm today.  Winner plays the winner of the Australia/Ireland game in the semis tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Wait did I read that right??? Only 2 points scored in the 2nd quarter? Yikes…

Most lopsided full quarter of basketball I have ever seen.

Credit to France for amazing defense.

I don't know.  It may not have been the brightest remark to make but should he lose his job over this?

Olympics commentator axed over sexist remark

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make-up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I don't know.  It may not have been the brightest remark to make but should he lose his job over this?

Olympics commentator axed over sexist remark

A veteran sports commentator has been sacked from his Olympics role after making a sexist remark about Australian female swimmers following their gold medal win.

As the 4x100m freestyle relay team were making their way off the pool deck in Paris, Bob Ballard said they were "finishing up", adding "you know what women are like... hanging around, doing their make-up".

The clip quickly went viral and broadcaster Eurosport later said he had been removed from the commentary line-up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cprq880yz0xo

We are too damn sensitive now.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

GOLD and it ain't even close. 

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Summer McIntosh wins the 400m Individual Medley by lengths!

Damnit I missed it.

Too many thing to keep track of

• Haha 2

The firsts keep coming!

First fencing medal, first synchro diving medal, first judo medal!

Seems like team Canada is really balanced now in terms of having athletes able to win across the board.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Summer McIntosh wins the 400m Individual Medley by lengths!

Enough time to take a sip of tea. 

Making international headlines

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Enough time to take a sip of tea. 

Making international headlines

You know they’re drug testing her first. 🤣

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone dominate a swimming event by that much. And that wasn’t an Olympic record??

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You know they’re drug testing her first. 🤣

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen someone dominate a swimming event by that much. And that wasn’t an Olympic record??

Summer did a 4:24.38 in May 2024, World Record.  Today wasn't even her personal best. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 1