Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

And that's another thing.  French authorities are, sadly and understandably, concerned about security - possible terror attacks.  So what does some Canadian idiot do?  Send an unauthorized drone through an Olympic site!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

security already a joke lol firecrackers in the soccer stadium? lol

Send the coach home, the team obviously doesn’t need her.

Let them rally together in the face of something like this. I doubt they had any knowledge of what was going on behind the seasons.

Theres no way Priestman can look them in the eyes and maintain integrity and respect from her players. Selfish acts from a coach that frankly was probably in over her head to begin with.

Canada started the game in a hesitant way and quickly fell behind when New Zealand scored an early goal.

But they calmed down and began to dominate, tying the game late in the first half with a terrific series of one touch passes that resulted in a goal.

Canada continued their domination in the second half, got a deserved second goal and won the game.

I was wondering if the crowd might jeer Canada.  That wasn't a problem insofar as there was no real crowd there.  The stadium looked empty.

Next up:  Olympic host France (ranked #2 in the world) on Sunday at noon.  I'm guessing there will be a bigger, louder crowd at that game.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Let them rally together in the face of something like this. I doubt they had any knowledge of what was going on behind the seasons.

Theres no way Priestman can look them in the eyes and maintain integrity and respect from her players. Selfish acts from a coach that frankly was probably in over her head to begin with.

I'm still waiting for the Olympic disciplinary committee decision.  Don't know how long it's going to take for them to come out with a decision.  I recall that in the last Winter Olympics there was the scandal about a Russian figure skater who tested positive for drugs.  It took the authorities about a year to come down with a decision and revoke a team medal she had helped winning.

It'd be awfully disappointing if Canada was to win Gold (or Silver or Bronze) only to have it revoked months later because of this foolishness.

I wasn't able to watch the match, but I did see the highlight package and I can't say enough about the fantastic ball that Jessie Fleming played in to Viens on the winning goal. Perfectly weighted and placed....

I also want to vent a bit about the Olympic coverage from Sportsnet.ca and TSN.ca....While I can find scores for women's soccer, only the Canada-NZ match has a dedicated article. If you want to know how other matches went, you have to dig....

Meanwhile, Rugby Sevens action was also taking place today, but I don't see any mention of that on either SNET or TSN.

I get that everyone wants to hear how Canada is doing, but when there is only one event happening, maybe dedicate some space on your "Olympics" page to scores and results from other events.....even if no Canadians are involved.

Instead, we get a half dozen fucking "Drone" stories....all telling us the same fucking thing....:classic_dry:

• Upvote 1

Actually, having a bunch of striking workers in your Opening Ceremony would seem to be a very French thing to do.

Olympic Opening Ceremony dancers call off strike action

Hundreds of dancers threatening to disrupt the Olympic Games’ Opening Ceremony over pay have called off strike action after reaching an agreement with Paris 2024, according to a statement from the union representing the dancers.

FSA-CGT union said on Wednesday that it received a “final offer” from Paris 2024 and their employers, proposing to increase payment for broadcasting performance rights for everyone.

On Monday, some 220 dancers stopped a rehearsal along the banks of Paris’ River Seine – along which the Opening Ceremony is due to take place – to protest inequalities in pay and housing conditions between the dancers.

A representative for the union previously told CNN that the ceremony was “in danger” after a protest and possible strike action by more than 200 dancers due to take part in Friday’s ceremony, a union representative for the dancers told CNN Tuesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/24/sport/olympic-opening-ceremony-striking-dancers-spt-intl/index.html#:~:text=The Opening Ceremony is due,banks of the River Seine.&text=Hundreds of dancers threatening to,the union representing the dancers.

9 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Actually, having a bunch of striking workers in your Opening Ceremony would seem to be a very French thing to do.

Olympic Opening Ceremony dancers call off strike action

Hundreds of dancers threatening to disrupt the Olympic Games’ Opening Ceremony over pay have called off strike action after reaching an agreement with Paris 2024, according to a statement from the union representing the dancers.

FSA-CGT union said on Wednesday that it received a “final offer” from Paris 2024 and their employers, proposing to increase payment for broadcasting performance rights for everyone.

On Monday, some 220 dancers stopped a rehearsal along the banks of Paris’ River Seine – along which the Opening Ceremony is due to take place – to protest inequalities in pay and housing conditions between the dancers.

A representative for the union previously told CNN that the ceremony was “in danger” after a protest and possible strike action by more than 200 dancers due to take part in Friday’s ceremony, a union representative for the dancers told CNN Tuesday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/24/sport/olympic-opening-ceremony-striking-dancers-spt-intl/index.html#:~:text=The Opening Ceremony is due,banks of the River Seine.&text=Hundreds of dancers threatening to,the union representing the dancers.

I would laugh sofa king hard if the outcome was that the dancers showed up to their scheduled event sporting picket signs and wearing anything but the performance outfits in protest. :classic_laugh:

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Done

Could this lead to Canada losing the gold in Tokyo?

Edited by Jaimito
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Wouldn’t be surprise if Canada loses its gold from Tokyo and I wonder if fifa have the balls to ban Canada from the next World Cup and revoke their hosting rights. If this was a 1 or 2 time thing fine. But since it’s been happening for years and teams have complaint about it in the past and they continued it only this time they were caught with hard evidence. 

I've always been pro-Olympics. But I'm wondering, if its time has come. It's turned into too many events, too expensive, and too many venues.

It might even have to have one permanent home. That way the costs get cut down with multiple uses. I honestly think they need to cut down the number of sports.

Go back to focusing on track and field and more traditional events.

This should be the greatest time for athletes from all over the world. But money, the win at any cost mentality, is ruining the event.