Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

16 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

FIFA wants to pretend they're fair? 

Then they should investigate every top team for spying because you know there’s evidence of it. It was clearly common knowledge to Priestman.

Canada didn’t get punished because they spied they got punished because they got caught.

FIFA being the morale authority on this is laughable at best.

• Cheers 2

I never watch soccer but the last two women's games were so fun and nerve racking.  They played a very chippy dirty Columbian team and won.  That poor Huitema girl got her ass kicked for 90 minutes.  Thank god the coaches being idiots didn't cost them and now the tourney resets with everyone on the same playing field.  Go Canada

• Upvote 1

Why blame fifa?

This was a Canadian coach screwing up.

Without her cheating, there would have been no penalty points withdrawn.

This is on the coaches, not FIFA.

I'm happy the gals won, but would have been much happier if there had been no cheating.

That's what it was. Cheating.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

That actually makes me laugh so hard, so thank you.

We are talking about FIFA here , the organization that awarded World Cups (!!) to Katar and fascist state of Russia.

So, the fact that such an organization exists and managed the #1 sport in the world is disgrace to everything. 

And FIFA took this opportunity to eliminate Canada (a contender) from competition (historically, FIFA is a French dominant organization).

3 point and coach suspension should be more then enough as a punishment, but FIFA decided just to make sure.

I am so proud of our ladies.  

Funny you mention Russia because they got kicked out of the Olympics when they got caught cheating..

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Why blame fifa?

I'm happy the gals won, but would have been much happier if there had been no cheating.

I'm not "blaming FIFA' for issuing  a penalty.

I'm saying it was overkill to punish the team so harshly.

The girls did not cheat in the games...they won fair and square so let's not pretend otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Funny you mention Russia because they got kicked out of the Olympics when they got caught cheating..

Originally 4 year ban, but shortened to 2, because it was thought excessive....

However, that ban ended a few years ago. They're banned from these Olympics because of their attack against Ukraine.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not "blaming FIFA' for issuing  a penalty.

I'm saying it was overkill to punish the team so harshly.

The girls did not cheat in the games...they won fair and square so let's not pretend otherwise.

Won fair and square by using and implementing strategies obtained by cheating. Come on...

• Desmenko 1

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Why blame fifa?

So...it's not on FIFA, "this was a Canadian coach screwing up" and "this is on the coaches".

So fine, direct punishment at them, not a team of girls who've worked hard to get where they are. 

• Thanks 1

Let's not pretend that Canada didn't break the rules.

No rule breaking means no fine.

This is all on Bev and the other two coaches, plus whoever started doing these drone flights on behalf of team Canada.

Why hasn't Bev been fired yet, is a much better place for focus, as compared to  a fine that would not exist with out cheating.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Believe In Blue said:

Damn our girls are heroes. No matter what happens, they proved themselves.

The Biggest middle finger to FIFA! 🖕

Yeah, still a very tough road ahead. #4 Germany up next, instead of #9 Brazil, who would have been the opponent otherwise.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Originally 4 year ban, but shortened to 2, because it was thought excessive....

However, that ban ended a few years ago. They're banned from these Olympics because of their attack against Ukraine.

Yup, and I thought 4 years was pretty lenient for a country-wide doping program. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Vintage 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yup, and I thought 4 years was pretty lenient for a country-wide doping program. 

Apparently "lenience" varies from country to country...

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

So...it's not on FIFA, "this was a Canadian coach screwing up" and "this is on the coaches".

So fine, direct punishment at them, not a team of girls who've worked hard to get where they are.

Coaches coach the team.

soccer coaches, coach the soccer team, not the gymnasts.

Again, this is 100% on the cheaters.

Not cheating- no problem.

Silly to ask some entity to be 'fair' when you've been caught cheating

Why haven't the coaches been fired yet?

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Apparently "lenience" varies from country to country...

Seems like it. Will be tough for anyone to try and convince me that Canada's women's team didn't get away with grand larceny by being allowed to compete and qualify for the round of 16. If they go on to win this tournament (and they're talented enough to do so), that's a horrendous look to both FIFA and the Olympics.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Seems like it. Will be tough for anyone to try and convince me that Canada's women's team didn't get away with grand larceny by being allowed to compete and qualify for the round of 16. If they go on to win this tournament (and they're talented enough to do so), that's a horrendous look to both FIFA and the Olympics.

So image is everything?

These Olympics are for the athletes who make sacrifices for years to get where they are. Fight through pain and injury, etc. The groups that benefit from their hard work are simply that...beneficiaries. Who make a boatload of $$ off them.

So I don't give a flying f how it looks on them.

The team has paid the penalty...now maybe we should move on and not crucify them any further. 

They didn't "steal" anything...they earned where they are and faced a huge deficit in doing so.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

If you say so. Personally, I think they received an excessive penalty. Taking away the points from the NZ game and sending the coaches home would have been the appropriate punishment, IMO...

Heck, if George Parros had been making the call, he would have made the team recite two Hail Mary's and one Lord's Prayer....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1