Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

2 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

So image is everything?

These Olympics are for the athletes and make sacrifices for years to get where they are. Fight through pain and injury, etc.

So I don't give a flying f how it looks on others. They have paid the penalty...how maybe we should move on.

The Olympics is supposed to be the pinnacle of sportsmanship, unity and competitive integrity. This entire fiasco matters a lot more than you're putting on, and Canada got away with a lot more than they should have. The fact they are allowed to compete is a bad look and it's a sad day for the Olympics. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The Olympics is supposed to be the pinnacle of sportsmanship, unity and competitive integrity. This entire fiasco matters a lot more than you're putting on, and Canada got away with a lot more than they should have. The fact they are allowed to compete is a bad look and it's a sad day for the Olympics. 

So when a tennis match was over and a guy threw a hissy fit (and his racket)...was that good sportsmanship?

You're over dramatizing this to suit a narrative that's been force fed to us and a bit of a farce. But keep believing that integrity is the name of the game. 

Have you seen some of the winter Olympics skating judging? 

I wish what you were striving for was true but it's a bit of a fairy tale.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Let's not pretend that Canada didn't break the rules.

Nobody's pretending that, G....

What we're saying is that we don't believe the punishment fit the "crime". Some folks around here believe the penalty was "lenient", but from where I sit, that's pretty much like saying Aaron Rome's punishment was lenient.

To be clear: I believe that FIFA wanted the team out of the competition, but didn't want to send them home, as that would create an imbalance of teams in the various groups. They did what they thought was the next best thing. They likely didn't believe for a minute that Canada would take the maximum points from France and Colombia....

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'd hazard a guess that the next time- if it happens, the fines/punishment will be severe.

Cheating should never happen, not this time, not last time, not ever.

Don't cheat.

Don't face the Judge.

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

So when a tennis match was over and a guy threw a hissy fit (and his racket)...was that good sportsmanship?

You're over dramatizing this to suit a narrative that's been force fed to us and a bit of a farce. But keep believing that integrity is the name of the game. 

Have you seen some of the winter Olympics skating judging? 

I wish what you were striving for was true but it's a bit of a fairy tale.

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What we're saying is that we don't believe the punishment fit the "crime". Some folks around here believe the penalty was "lenient", but from where I sit, that's pretty much like saying Aaron Rome's punishment was lenient.

To be clear: I believe that FIFA wanted the team out of the competition, but didn't want to send them home, as that would create an imbalance of teams in the various groups. They did what they thought was the next best thing. They likely didn't believe for a minute that Canada would take the maximum points from France and Colombia....

FIFA has a lot more to gain financially by having Canada compete. They are their 2nd best nation to showcase for viewership and profit. 

It's ok Deb, you decide to turn a blind eye and play the victim when our country gets caught cheating. I refuse to do so. I don't care if other countries get away with it, I keep the same energy for them too. 

The same forums that shit on Benning for tampering with Subban and wanted to see his dumb *** punished severely are the same ones that are defending Canada right now. Very ironic.

• Desmenko 1

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

The same forums that shit on Benning for tampering with Subban and wanted to see his dumb *** punished severely are the same ones that are defending Canada right now. Very ironic.

I don't know WTF you're talking about here. I've never made any comment on that....TBH, I don't even recall it happening....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd hazard a guess that the next time- if it happens, the fines/punishment will be severe.

Cheating should never happen, not this time, not last time, not ever.

Don't cheat.

Don't face the Judge.

It's not like the IOC has always led by example. Bribery, corruption. It's not like they set the standards and live by them.

Again.....yes, they flew a drone overhead and that was to get an upperhand and information. Cheating.

They didn't assault someone with a baton.

The coaches cheated. The team faced the judge.

But that's not enough for some...who would strip them of their dignity and shame them.  Not sure that's good sportsmanship.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The fine is not the point- we got caught cheating. All else is sour grapes and 'woes me'.

no cheating, means no fine.

Heavy handed, maybe, but just don't fucking cheat; and it's out of the judge's hands.

---------------------------------------------------

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

people should be asking why Bev and the other 2 have not been fired yet.

My guess is that the reason why they haven't been fired yet (though they have been suspended by CSA) is that they are awaiting their due process to finish before deciding on consequences for the coaches.  It would be a bad look if they skipped the suspension and investigation phase and immediately fired the coaches without providing them with their due process.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It's ok Deb, you decide to turn a blind eye and play the victim when our country gets caught cheating. I refuse to do so. I don't care if other countries get away with it, I keep the same energy for them too. 

Piss off with this crap. I have not done that so please don't reach like that. It's weak.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

The fine is not the point- we got caught cheating. All else is sour grapes and 'woes me'.

no cheating, means no fine.

Heavy handed, maybe, but just don't fucking cheat; and it's out of the judge's hands.

---------------------------------------------------

What "fine" are you talking about? Nobody has an issue with that. It's the 6 points, that we have a problem with.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't know WTF you're talking about here. I've never made any comment on that....TBH, I don't even recall it happening....

A lot of that going on here.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

What "fine" are you talking about? Nobody has an issue with that. It's the 6 points, that we have a problem with.

And, for me, the fact that they served that penalty but some are still calling for their heads.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Piss off with this crap. I have not done that so please don't reach like that. It's weak.

You admitted that you had no idea the extent strategically to which Canada cheated since you don't know soccer very well. It was a big slip up and had a massive impact on the game played, as soccer is very strategic. Then going on to say that Canada is battling against the unfairness.... what kind of horseshit is that? We should all be very ashamed as canadians. 

If this was any other country, i would feel the same. Turns out, in 20 years of watching international soccer... This is a first for me. Canada is very fortunate to be allowed to play. They are not fighting odds, an uphill battle, and against an unjust system. They got a freebie.

You believe the punishment was "Harsh" because it's in your best interest to do so. You don't care about soccer, you care about team Canada and are rooting for them because you support your country, and that's beautiful in its own right. I don't mean to demean or to be disrespectful. I just care about competitive integrity and having my teams win with honour and integrity. If the Canucks won our first ever stanley cup, but we got caught cheating, I'd be on the boat to relinquish it. You can quote me on that.

I want to win but win the right way. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Desmenko 1

Sadly, the team has played a lot of 'lose one and gone' games, and now has to continue.

If they manage to medal it will be an epic story.

----------------------------

If I was  a player, I'd be looking into whether there is some kind of ability to sue the assets off the cheating coaching staff.

Loss of economic opportunity, damage to reputation, and what not.

maybe it will finally get into the Neanderthals out there- don't f'in  cheat.

Hey- youth, and up and comers- look what happens when you cheat.

If they can't figure out it is wrong, just because it is wrong;  maybe the economic loss will dissuade them.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's not like the IOC has always led by example. Bribery, corruption. It's not like they set the standards and live by them.

Again.....yes, they flew a drone overhead and that was to get an upperhand and information. Cheating.

They didn't assault someone with a baton.

The coaches cheated. The team faced the judge.

But that's not enough for some...who would strip them of their dignity and shame them.  Not sure that's good sportsmanship.

Wow- so nobody got skewered by a sword or beaten with a stick? thanks for clearing that up for me.

Cheating is not good sportsmanship- don't cheat, and you don't have to face the judge.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

what kind of horseshit is that? We should all be very ashamed as canadians. 

I stopped reading here. You do you, don't try to tell others what their responses should be.

Ashamed? If you base your shame on other's actions that's on you. I have integrity and don't feel shame over this. Sorry?

Not playing this game. The girls paid the price for the actions and now it's just dragging their names through the mud. Sort of goes against that whole sportsmanship thing you preached about. Shame them!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Wow- so nobody got skewered by a sword or beaten with a stick? thanks for clearing that up for me.

Cheating is not good sportsmanship- don't cheat, and you don't have to face the judge.

They faced the judge. But that's not enough for some here.

They are horrid, wretched cheaters. Scarlet letters for them all. 

I just don't think that's in the name of sport (either).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Funny you mention Russia because they got kicked out of the Olympics when they got caught cheating..

They kicked out of Olympics (and from most of international competitions) because they started the war in Ukraine.

When they got caught cheating, they we still allowed to the games , but without flag and national uniforms.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I stopped reading here. You do you, don't try to tell others what their responses should be.

Ashamed? If you base your shame on other's actions that's on you. I have integrity and don't feel shame over this. Sorry?

Not playing this game. The girls paid the price for the actions and now it's just dragging their names through the mud. Sort of goes against that whole sportsmanship thing you preached about. Shame them!

FIFA punished Juventus out of a Série A title and Manchester City out of 2 Champions Leagues (as we wait for more developments and probably more punishments), for managers breaking financial fair play. So FIFA has already shown they’re ready to punish teams for cheating. Canada got a freebie. Believe what you want. 

The corruption in fifa you think is targeting your team, is actually actively helping it. The team cheated but is allowed to play on. That’s a first for me in 20 years. Turn your blind eye because it’s team Canada. That’s ok. I’ll continue to believe what I believe, and like I’ve said, I’ll keep that exact same energy when it happens to others. Problem is, so far Canada is the only exemption for FIFA. 

• Desmenko 1

Getting back to the game for a second, I was struck by the rather poor shooting by Colombia.   Did Sheridan have to make one difficult save?  It seemed like all the shots were directly at her for relatively easy saves.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1