Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

32 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Wow- so nobody got skewered by a sword or beaten with a stick? thanks for clearing that up for me.

Cheating is not good sportsmanship- don't cheat, and you don't have to face the judge.

The girls didn’t cheat but still faced the judge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The problem is, if it were only the coaches that were punished, it would create an opportunity for devious teams.

They could hire a bunch of assistant coachs to do nefarious things to benefit the team and, if they get caught, would be the only ones to get fired.  But the team would still have benefitted.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

They faced the judge. But that's not enough for some here.

They are horrid, wretched cheaters. Scarlet letters for them all. 

I just don't think that's in the name of sport (either).

"Scarlett letters"

woah.

Sad.

16 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The girls did not fly, or likely even know about the drone flights; but received coaches instructions based on info gleaned from cheating.

I'd have much preferred  a 3 point fine, for the game against who they spied against; but don't blame fifa- I blame the coaches.

This whole thing is on them, and unfortunately they are also considered part of the "team".

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The problem is, if it were only the coaches that were punished, it would create an opportunity for devious teams.

They could hire a bunch of assistant coachs to do nefarious things to benefit the team and, if they get caught, would be the only ones to get fired.  But the team would still have benefitted.

Just pointing out the absurdity of the don’t cheat, don’t face the judge comment, they were punished for using a drone against NZ, they should have forfeited that game and the coaches banned. They had no “advantage” against France or Columbia. Six points was excessive and those saying the team should have been kicked out…..well, something about glass houses.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The girls did not fly, or likely even know about the drone flights; but received coaches instructions based on info gleaned from cheating.

I'd have much preferred  a 3 point fine, for the game against who they spied against; but don't blame fifa- I blame the coaches.

This whole thing is on them, and unfortunately they are also considered part of the "team".

I'm only speaking for myself, but I think "blame" is the wrong term to use here.

Yes, Canada got caught cheating and yes, the coaches are the ones at fault, but nobody's "blaming" FIFA for the fact that Canada got punished. We just think they went overboard with it.

You seem to be making the case that since we were cheating, we have no place complaining about the punishment, but I reject that narrative. What if the IOC decided to send the entire Canadian delegation home? Would we have reason to complain then, or would you be sticking to the "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" narrative?

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

So are you suggesting that team members now openly question every new drill, every new game plan put forward by their coach(s)??? C'mon, Gurn, you can't really believe that the women on the team should be punished for something they knew NOTHING about?? Or is that exactly what you're saying? What do you suggest the players do from now on in that case? Trying NOT to be snarky but I'm rather shocked and surprised by your stance on this.

EDIT: You ARE, in essence, branding every team player with a scarlet C for 'Cheater' with your stance on this, though...

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm only speaking for myself, but I think "blame" is the wrong term to use here.

Yes, Canada got caught cheating and yes, the coaches are the ones at fault, but nobody's "blaming" FIFA for the fact that Canada got punished. We just think they went overboard with it.

You seem to be making the case that since we were cheating, we have no place complaining about the punishment, but I reject that narrative. What if the IOC decided to send the entire Canadian delegation home? Would we have reason to complain then, or would you be sticking to the "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" narrative?

I'd be saying that is overboard, but I'd also realize if we hadn't been cheating FIFA would not be involved.

This is on Teem Canada- not FIFA.

There is no judgement without the crime.

So many in this thread were doing the 'F FIFA' thing, when this isn't on them it's on Bev, those 2 others and likely John Herdman  in the past.

And unfortunately- the team is penalized too, as they got info from "the fruit of the poison tree'.

I've said a few times I'd rather a 3 point fine and coaches fired, but none of this happens if those folk don't cheat.

-----------------------------

I'm pissed at the cheaters, and  little annoyed at FIFA.

9 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

So are you suggesting that team members now openly question every new drill, every new game plan put forward by their coach(s)

So- 

So

So

Just where the heck did I say that?

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Wait I’m confused, how did Colombia advance? Isn’t it the top 2 teams from each pool?

Could Canada have advanced if they didn’t have the tie breaker with Colombia then?

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

So- 

So

So

Just where the heck did I say that?

I didn't say that you did....but masterful sideways fake. I ASKED if that's what you suggest (or think) they will have to do.  I asked you what you suggest they should do, as well. Don't worry about answering, you already did with your quoted response. Thanks 🙂

Edited by Cerridwen

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wait I’m confused, how did Colombia advance? Isn’t it the top 2 teams from each pool?

Could Canada have advanced if they didn’t have the tie breaker with Colombia then?

2 best team from each group plus two best 3-d place teams

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Top 2 from pool and the next best 2 overall to create the balanced bracket.

Canada hold the tie breaker against Brazil so they would still get in if they didn't have the tie breaker against Columbia but Canada also have to win against Volumbia to be tied in point for the tie breaker to come into play. By the prior game results, Canada hold the tie breaker no matter what if they outright win against Columbia so it was either 2nd in the group or go on the plane back home. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd be saying that is overboard, but I'd also realize if we hadn't been cheating FIFA would not be involved.

This is on Teem Canada- not FIFA.

There is no judgement without the crime.

So many in this thread were doing the 'F FIFA' thing, when this isn't on them it's on Bev, those 2 others and likely John Herdman  in the past.

And unfortunately- the team is penalized too, as they got info from "the fruit of the poison tree'.

I've said a few times I'd rather a 3 point fine and coaches fired, but none of this happens if those folk don't cheat.

-----------------------------

I'm pissed at the cheaters, and  little annoyed at FIFA.

Disagree. FIFA is the one who levied the overly harsh penalty. Nobody is saying there should be no punishment at all.

If they had sent the coaches home and docked the team 3 points, nobody would be saying a thing about it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am thrilled with the athletes winning three games under this shadow, in women's Olympic soccer, and the Olympics always get me misty eyed, as my therapist says I am emotionally dysregulated, hehe. Thing is with me like others, the Anthem and Flag do it, but unlike others, if Tajikistan beats the odds and wins a bronze in something they have no business trying in, I lose it. Hehe. When Kazakstan got a standing ovation at the WJC hockey tournament, co-hosted by Victoria and Vancouver, I was bawling in the club seats at the Barn on Blanshard. For me it is about sportsmanship, and the very idea of the best facing the best. We artificially put subdivisions on it with flags and nations, but for me it is the thrill of the very best of us defeating their peers in a given discipline. My eyes leak for almost every gold medal performance, from most nations. 

So having said all that throat clearing stuff: I am saddened that the staff put the athletes into this predicament with extremely poor sportsmanship of the drone scandal...IMO they should all be tossed from the national team, and the athletes should be applauded for overcoming the horrible circumstances that have clouded their moment. 

I'm thinking they might want to look into immigrating elsewhere. They are never going to live this down 

12 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I'm thinking they might want to look into immigrating elsewhere. They are never going to live this down 

I’m pretty certain they will never coach again but they will soon be forgotten about when the next new thing to rage about occurs.