Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

51 minutes ago, 24K said:

Top 2 from pool and the next best 2 overall to create the balanced bracket.

Canada hold the tie breaker against Brazil so they would still get in if they didn't have the tie breaker against Columbia but Canada also have to win against Volumbia to be tied in point for the tie breaker to come into play. By the prior game results, Canada hold the tie breaker no matter what if they outright win against Columbia so it was either 2nd in the group or go on the plane back home. 

Thanks.

I thought it was a must win for Colombia too apparently not 

Edited by DeNiro

CAN V GER

Marseille Stadium, Marseille

Saturday 3 August 2024 13:00 EDT. 

Watching the replay.  Saw some Colombian women when forming the wall during a free kick, covered their chest with their arms, instead of the groin in men's game. This is new to me. Don't usually watch ladies soccer much except in Olympics and WC. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

CAN V GER

Marseille Stadium, Marseille

Saturday 3 August 2024 13:00 EDT. 

Watching the replay.  Saw some Colombian women when forming the wall during a free kick, covered their chest with their arms, instead of the groin in men's game. This is new to me. Don't usually watch ladies soccer much except in Olympics and WC. 

Is that 10:00AM our time?

And I don’t have them but I imagine getting hit in the tit would hurt quite a bit…

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

So many in this thread were doing the 'F FIFA' thing, when this isn't on them

So they didn't make the decision?

F them for going to the extreme. There, I cleared it up for you.

I don't "blame Fifa" for taking action I just feel it was excessive.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

So they didn't make the decision?

F them for going to the extreme. There, I cleared it up for you.

I don't "blame Fifa" for taking action I just feel it was excessive. 

I too think it was at the high end of the range, for sure, but I am also a bit of a rules guy..comes from my criminology days i think, haha. I am glad our Ladies were mentally tough enough and physically tough enough to overcome it and they are through the pools stage! Yussss!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

More stories about spying on the opponents are coming out. It will be interesting to see what else is going to be uncovered. Right now some of the sources are unnamed but typically where there is smoke there is fire.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-s-men-s-and-women-s-soccer-teams-have-relied-on-drones-and-spying-for-years-sources-say-1.2153674

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 2

No surprise ^^

In this competitive environment where some countries pay big bucks for gold (up to nearly $300,000.00), it isn't farfetched to think that teams are trying to get an upper hand on one another. Cheating, sure...but you still have to PLAY the game so there's that part. Getting someone's game plan doesn't guarantee success (by any means).

Anyhow....I better get to watch the game tomorrow.

I have to work. Problem is...we don't have a workplace anymore (today was the last day of our lease). But my boss is pushing to "work together in person" and suggested we work at my house. Nope. His house. Nope again.

Others are working remotely. I have an issue here.

• Huggy Bear 2

Spirit of sport is alive and well.

Watching men's triathlon. Guys finishing 25 and 26 from Norway and South Africa giving each other hugs. Just awesome

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No surprise ^^

In this competitive environment where some countries pay big bucks for gold (up to nearly $300,000.00), it isn't farfetched to think that teams are trying to get an upper hand on one another. Cheating, sure...but you still have to PLAY the game so there's that part. Getting someone's game plan doesn't guarantee success (by any means).

Anyhow....I better get to watch the game tomorrow.

I have to work. Problem is...we don't have a workplace anymore (today was the last day of our lease). But my boss is pushing to "work together in person" and suggested we work at my house. Nope. His house. Nope again.

Others are working remotely. I have an issue here.

Some communities have shared work spaces you can rent by the hour, as a suggestion for when your team needs to get together in person. 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

More stories about spying on the opponents are coming out. It will be interesting to see what else is going to be uncovered.

Right now some of the sources are unnamed but typically where there is smoke there is fire.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/canada-s-men-s-and-women-s-soccer-teams-have-relied-on-drones-and-spying-for-years-sources-say-1.2153674

Who is this so called unnamed source that seems to have all this info?

Has to either be a staff member who would be incriminating themselves or a player no?

Also a lot of this seems to be hearsay. They wanna retroactively punish teams they need concrete evidence. Not sure how they get that.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I took a Quick Look and could not find a definitive answer to my question, what specific FIFA rule did Canada break by using a drone?

Getting caught at something every other team does?

Seems like they had to act because Canada was caught red handed.

But yea, is there an actual rule that states teams are guaranteed private practices? If a member of the Canadian team went and sat in the stands during practice would security throw them out?

Maybe they didn’t even need to use a drone. 🤣

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I took a Quick Look and could not find a definitive answer to my question, what specific FIFA rule did Canada break by using a drone?

I was looking too, couldn't find anything.

Make it up on the fly stuff.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I was looking too, couldn't find anything.

Make it up on the fly stuff.

Only thing I could find mentioned was a rule about fair play and not gaining an unfair advantage but if every team can or does use drones it’s not an advantage any longer.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Getting caught at something every other team does?

Seems like they had to act because Canada was caught red handed.

But yea, is there an actual rule that states teams are guaranteed private practices? If a member of the Canadian team went and sat in the stands during practice would security throw them out?

Maybe they didn’t even need to use a drone. 🤣

In all honesty if I was a coach and another team was spying on my practice I’d give them misinformation such as having players practice penalty kicks going to one side and if it comes to a PK in game then go to the other or practice a 3-4-3 and go into the game with a 4-4-2.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Probably not ever going to be clearly articulated by FIFA is my bet.

Your question does spur on my own response to much that I have read about this topic over the past few days - what information, exactly, would be be captured by a drone  circling a practice session, that couldn’t be gleaned by any number of other publicly available sources? 
I’ve played this game at a fairly high level and just  might be incredibly naive, but I can’t imagine coaches/staff offering me any significant information about a team I’m about to play that I wouldn’t immediately conclude the second we lined up to start the match. The game is won or lost in the field and not during video sessions. You don’t spring secret strategies during a football match that have to be hidden from opponents. 

To be clear though. Spying is bad. It needs to be punished and it was punished in this case.

Anybody who is still unable to get past that point and support our team, does not seem to be a fan of sport or the overcoming of life’s obstacles. In this moment, given these circumstances, I feel sorry for anybody still stuck on the moral high ground.

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Who is this so called unnamed source that seems to have all this info?

Has to either be a staff member who would be incriminating themselves or a player no?

Also a lot of this seems to be hearsay. They wanna retroactively punish teams they need concrete evidence. Not sure how they get that.

Who knows, sometimes these type of things bring other people that were afraid to speak up.

If there is any truth to these rumors, hopefully they get investigated.

3 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Probably not ever going to be clearly articulated by FIFA is my bet.

Your question does spur on my own response to much that I have read about this topic over the past few days - what information, exactly, would be be captured by a drone  circling a practice session, that couldn’t be gleaned by any number of other publicly available sources? 
I’ve played this game at a fairly high level and just  might be incredibly naive, but I can’t imagine coaches/staff offering me any significant information about a team I’m about to play that I wouldn’t immediately conclude the second we lined up to start the match. The game is won or lost in the field and not during video sessions. You don’t spring secret strategies during a football match that have to be hidden from opponents. 

To be clear though. Spying is bad. It needs to be punished and it was punished in this case.

Anybody who is still unable to get past that point and support our team, does not seem to be a fan of sport or the overcoming of life’s obstacles. In this moment, given these circumstances, I feel sorry for anybody still stuck on the moral high ground.

I wondered the same having played soccer for a number of years as well. The only thing I really could come up with is penalty kick strategy I guess, stupid the coaches thought it was necessary.

6 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I actually have that t-shirt! 😃 It went with me to Australia for a Dragon Boat Regatta and 3 weeks touring OZ in an RV!!

image.jpeg.5f5e5574cfe5f39615faf580f9dc0927.jpeg

Are those maple leafs on her pants?