Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

3 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I didn't say that you did....but masterful sideways fake. I ASKED if that's what you suggest (or think) they will have to do.  I asked you what you suggest they should do, as well. Don't worry about answering, you already did with your quoted response. Thanks 🙂

Yea- well since you already think you  know what I was saying, just keep going without me.

I will apologize for my "So-So So'--- happens to grind my gears, seeing that word used, at the beginning of a sentence.- mostly before someone creates a strawman.

But I do fess- I've had just enough psychiatry training to mess me up for life.

Edited by Gurn

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/paris-olympics-canadian-women-s-soccer-team-advances-spy-scandal-deepens/vi-BB1qZsKa?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=cdfe66f1f01b404bb91cbacf41997f59&ei=53

3:30 ish second vid at link.

Emails, where Bev is talking to HR, on how to deal with an employee/contractor that won't cheat anymore.

Men's side involved, as well.

F in cheaters.

Late to the conversation but I’ll chime in here. 

First I don’t blame the players at this point. I think there efforts have been heroic but fair or not it will always be tainted by Priestman and the others involved including Soccer Canada.  Second I have never abided cheaters, always despised Tom Brady, Carl Lewis, Lance Armstrong, Ben Johnson & others so I won’t be hypocritical with this. Never liked the adage “if you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying” because it draws no lines. 

Still cheering for the players though and it feels great to see them rallying together - against all odds.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

is there an actual rule that states teams are guaranteed private practices?

Apparently there is a rule against using drones.

From an article in the National Post:

FIFA’s appeal committee ruled last Saturday that the Canadian team breached the world body’s regulations applicable to the Olympic tournament concerning the “prohibition on flying drones over training sites” in the lead-up to the opener against New Zealand. The penalty was a six-point reduction in the group stage of the event, one-year suspensions from all football-related activity for head coach Bev Priestman and staffers Joey Lombardi and Jasmine Mander and a fine equivalent to almost $313,000 (CAD).

https://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics/fifa-ruling-stands-canada-will-keep-six-point-penalty-heading-into-do-or-die-olympic-match

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I was looking too, couldn't find anything.

Make it up on the fly stuff.

Luongo Rule made for FIFA.

But hey all the bribery, and gifts when bidding for a host nation.

Nothing wrong with that right FIFA?

• Cheers 2

Looking at Thursday's schedule, it seems rather light (for me, anyways).  Which is a good thing because these Olympics are playing havoc with my schedule.  A good day to get caught up on some things.

The one event I do want to see is the Women's 200m Butterfly where Summer McIntosh goes for another gold.  11:30am.

There is one other thing.  I don't watch gymnastics.  At all.  But I do know who Simone Biles is.  And when an athlete's name transcends his or her sport, you know that is a special athlete.  She's in action tomorrow starting at 9:15am in the Artistic Gymnastics final.  There's quite of few people in the event so I'll try to PVR it and then zoom in on Bile's performance.  A chance to see a sport's GOAT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just finishing a Triathlon or a Marathon I feel would be a massive accomplishment. One of my co-workers has been running for years. And entered his first Marathon. I forgot how long it took him, but he finished 20 minutes faster than he expected. Then afterwords he said. Ok, once is enough. LOL.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Soccer-Canada should fire Bev Priestman & the other assistants involved. Her emails are self-explanitory. She apparently saw nothing wrong with deploying drones & clearly knew about it. That was unsportsmanlike & very foolish of her.  Leadership can’t be foolish or naive, and remain unaccountable for it.

Priestman & the others can just go ahead & provide further details & evidence against other countries - if she has the facts & evidence to present,…or simply just fade away. This would likely satisfy FIFA & everyone else,…as there will be far more digging. 

The longer Canada retains her,…the longer she continues to taint higher ups in the program, as being more complicit with spying on opponents’ closed practices or any similarly nefarious activities. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Looking at Thursday's schedule, it seems rather light (for me, anyways).  Which is a good thing because these Olympics are playing havoc with my schedule.  A good day to get caught up on some things.

The one event I do want to see is the Women's 200m Butterfly where Summer McIntosh goes for another gold.  11:30am.

There is one other thing.  I don't watch gymnastics.  At all.  But I do know who Simone Biles is.  And when an athlete's name transcends his or her sport, you know that is a special athlete.  She's in action tomorrow starting at 9:15am in the Artistic Gymnastics final.  There's quite of few people in the event so I'll try to PVR it and then zoom in on Bile's performance.  A chance to see a sport's GOAT.

Canada’s Ellie Black qualified for the same all-around event, didnt she? I know that she & another Canadian gymnast made the event finals in the vault, as well. 

Ellie is a contemporary of Simone Biles, and is also competing in her 4th Olympic Games. Wishing her the best, too! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

I actually have that t-shirt! 😃 It went with me to Australia for a Dragon Boat Regatta and 3 weeks touring OZ in an RV!!

image.jpeg.5f5e5574cfe5f39615faf580f9dc0927.jpeg

You participate in Dragonboating?

I paddled with a corporate rec team for 9 years until Covid hit.  Haven’t picked up a paddle since.  Closest thing to intense competition I will ever experience.

I often wondered whether dragonboating should be an Olympic sport.  I would certainly follow it.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Soccer-Canada should fire Bev Priestman & the other assistants involved. Her emails are self-explain story. She apparently saw nothing wrong with deploying drones & clearly knew about it. That was unsportsmanlike & very foolish of her.  Leadership can’t be foolish or naive, and remain unaccountable for it.

Priestman & the others can just go ahead & provide further details & evidence against other countries - if she has the facts & evidence to present,…or simply just fade away. This would likely satisfy FIFA & everyone else,…as there will be far more digging. 

The longer Canada retains her,…the longer she continues to taint higher ups in the program, as being more complicit with spying on opponents’ closed practices or any similarly nefarious activity. 

She’s banned for 2? years and pay withheld so no rush, I’m pretty certain she will not coach ever again for Canada.

• ThereItIs 1

Go Evan Dunfee!

He's from Richmond and a super nice guy. Also ran for Richmond City council last election and almost got in. I voted for him...he's got some great/fresh ideas.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Have I been watching the wrong Olympics for the past 5+ decades? :classic_huh:

Years before I was born however the story of German athlete Luz Long helping Jesse Owens in Berlin at the 1936 games is fuckin inspirational.

Especially when you put it into context with the racist BS going on. 

https://eyeoncleveland.com/2022/08/03/lessons-from-lutz-and-jesse/ 

After helping Jesse, and then Jesse winning, Luz walked around the arena with Jesse holding his arm up.

All in front of Hitler.

" You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn't be a plating on the 24 carat friendship I felt for Luz Long at that moment "

Jesse Owens 

The irony is that when Jesse came home, there was a big event to honour him at some fancy hotel.

When he rolled up to the front of the hotel with his coach, the doorman told Jesse that he had to go around and enter by the back door. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Years before I was born however the story of German athlete Luz Long helping Jesse Owens in Berlin at the 1936 games is fuckin inspirational.

Especially when you put it into context with the racist BS going on. 

https://eyeoncleveland.com/2022/08/03/lessons-from-lutz-and-jesse/ 

After helping Jesse, and then Jesse winning, Luz walked around the arena with Jesse holding his arm up.

All in front of Hitler.

" You can melt down all the medals and cups I have and they wouldn't be a plating on the 24 carat friendship I felt for Luz Long at that moment "

Jesse Owens 

The irony is that when Jesse came home, there was a big event to honour him at some fancy hotel.

When he rolled up to the front of the hotel with his coach, the doorman told Jesse that he had to go around and enter by the back door. 

That's how deep rooted the problems in America are.

• ThereItIs 1

I feel bad for athletes that had to swim in Seine. I don’t care how much money they spent to clean it up.
There is a reason why swimming in the river has been banned for the last  100 years. 
Yuck!

• Cheers 2