Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've always been pro-Olympics. But I'm wondering, if its time has come. It's turned into too many events, too expensive, and too many venues.

It might even have to have one permanent home. That way the costs get cut down with multiple uses. I honestly think they need to cut down the number of sports.

Go back to focusing on track and field and more traditional events.

This should be the greatest time for athletes from all over the world. But money, the win at any cost mentality, is ruining the event.

Paris touts as among the cheapest. 

Salt Lake City doing it again. They already have the infrastructure.  

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I've always been pro-Olympics. But I'm wondering, if its time has come. It's turned into too many events, too expensive, and too many venues.

It might even have to have one permanent home. That way the costs get cut down with multiple uses. I honestly think they need to cut down the number of sports.

Go back to focusing on track and field and more traditional events.

This should be the greatest time for athletes from all over the world. But money, the win at any cost mentality, is ruining the event.

I'm with you. I'm only paying attention because my work situation is weird so I have free time to take in events. Otherwise I wouldn't care because I just don't feel it any more.

Perhaps instead of cutting sports the could split them. Have Olympics every two years but with select events. Probably create a bigger cash cow overall lol

but hey, we get breakdancing this year!

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

Havent heard Celine in a long time but she can sing. Very powerful performance.

Yeah, although she's there not as part of team Canada, this was the best part of the games for Canada so far after such a downer with the drone scandal. 

Edited by Jaimito

This opening ceremony's commentary was pretty much the sole thing I didn't like about it.  Loved the creativity in different aspects (going all the way down the Seine, the horse and rider, various reusing/ deconstructing elements, Lady Gaga singing in French and different performers...) but they can really dial back the wokeness in the CBC commentators (e.g. whenever a country had more women than men on the team, they had to say how awesome it is; whenever there's a female torch bearer, "she's a queen"; lame jokes that get no response whenever they've said it).  Hopefully the unique cauldron lasts and doesn't get damaged, if rumors of the threats against France are true.

20 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Yeah, although she's there not as part of team Canada, this was the best part of the games for Canada so far after such a downer with the drone scandal. 

whats her story? she having a problem singing or something, seemed to partly miss what they were saying about her on the broadcast?

On 7/24/2024 at 7:24 AM, Bell said:

Didn't realize Medina wasn't surfing the Olympics.  You are right in Toledo likes big waves as much as me, he is chicken.  Should be a stellar event

I was wrong. Medina is in. Seems like he won the ISA world championship and qualified so Brazil has three mens surfers.

SO yeah. Medina, John John, and Robinson will probably win

pre-game warm ups

5 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

whats her story? she having a problem singing or something, seemed to partly miss what they were saying about her on the broadcast?

Shes got a bad neurological  disorder

Stiff person syndrome

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Stiff person syndrome

I haven't watched the OC (and I don't plan to), but @bishopshodan beat me to the punch as I was looking for this article:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/rci/en/news/2080514/celine-dion-on-her-health-issues-and-plans-for-a-comeback-i-will-sing-again

I won't bother copying/pasting it here because it looks like it's a real problem trying to make it play nice with formatting.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Stiff person syndrome

alright I thought you were making a joke about being stiff personality and laughed out loud but was also confused cause I remember she was anything but a stiff person.

Then saw a article that also said she had stiff personality syndrome. Never heard of it. will have to look it up but thanks.

49 minutes ago, BarneyKook said:

alright I thought you were making a joke about being stiff personality and laughed out loud but was also confused cause I remember she was anything but a stiff person.

Then saw a article that also said she had stiff personality syndrome. Never heard of it. will have to look it up but thanks.

haha, not personality.....person

click this...

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/stiff-person-syndrome-sps

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Loved the creativity in different aspects (going all the way down the Seine, the horse and rider, various reusing/ deconstructing elements, Lady Gaga singing in French and different performers...)

I agree.  While I thought it was too long, the Opening Ceremony definitely had its moments.  Including the two artists who sang "Imagine".  I thought they really did a nice job on a classic song.  The idea of having the ceremony outdoors and letting as many people as possible enjoy the proceedings was a good idea.  Too bad it rained.  And I have to wonder how much the people there actually saw.  I heard it mentioned that this was an event really designed for television.  It's hard to beat the Eiffel Tower lit up at night with the Olympic rings on it!

Looking at Saturday's schedule.

I don't follow swimming all that closely.  In fact, I don't follow swimming at all.  Except in the Olympics which gives us a chance to watch some sports we usually ignore.  And, in the case of swimming, it seems the Canadian team has a good chance of a decent medal haul.  The main attraction seems to be a young woman called Summer McIntosh - which is a really cool name.  Apparently, she's some sort of Phee-nom with a chance at four golds.  She has her first event on Saturday at 2:00am in the 400m heats.  The 400m medal round then follows at 11:52am.  

Also, in Men's Basketball, Canada plays its first game against Greece at noon.

Those are the two events that jump out at me.  Although I might also check out the women's surfing at 2:48pm  (posts here have sparked my interest).   And there's something called Canoe Slalom at 8:10am.  I heard a description of it on the radio yesterday and it sounded like it could be entertaining. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

We still suck at cheating

Ben Johhson is proud

I saw part of the Dubbin inquiry, and the bit that really stick in my mind is when Ben said:

"I turned my back, dropped my pants, and the doctor injected me with a milky white substance"

My ribs hurt for weeks, from laughter- and I'm getting a chuckle out of  that-right now--35 years later.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1