Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

12 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

What a great story for the French. 

Except for his name, reminds me of someone in hockey...

Amazing scene for a swimming event. 

Yeah I know all Canuck fans are thrilled to hear last name Marchand. Brings lot of memories to you guys.

Just now, Shift-4 said:

Just missed bronze in men's 10000m 

Great race

He gave'er there at the end...guys came out of nowhere to pass him.

He can be proud...he "left it all out there" as they say.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Curious if we have the most 4th place finish these Olympics? 

I suppose someone could do the research but I’d guess it would be someone like the US or China, who seem to always have athletes in position to medal in almost every event.

23 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

I suppose someone could do the research but I’d guess it would be someone like the US or China, who seem to always have athletes in position to medal in almost every event.

Feels like US is hitting on the silver and bronze consistently even if they are flubbing on gold for now. They have a ridiculous medal count so far but is not high when ranked based on gold count. 

China is having a snatching defeat from the jaws of victory problem. They almost F up in diving last night. China never miss on diving or even allow their opponents to think they have a chance. 

47 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

By .33 second in a race that takes 26 to 27 minutes.    

This is why I'd like to see more credit/sunshine towards those that were dang close.

This guy might have placed 3rd-except perhaps for a  puff of wind  that was blowing 2 kilometres/phr faster on him, than the guy that is 20 feet in front of him.

Edited by Gurn

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

This is why I'd like to see more credit/sunshine towards those that were dang close.

This guy might have placed 3rd-except perhaps for a  puff of wind  that was blowing 2 kilometres/phr faster on him, than the guy that is 20 feet in front of him.

Maybe his hair was creating an aerodynamic drag situation?  :classic_ninja:

Spoiler

(JUST KIDDING!!)

• Cheers 1

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe his hair was creating an aerodynamic drag situation?  :classic_ninja:

Hide contents

(JUST KIDDING!!)

Yeah- but maybe?

That extra quarter of an ounce of weight in the shoes he wore?

Was the clothing he wore just a little bit heavier?

Sure-hairstyle- heck even getting a bad grip on a water bottle at a re fresh station could make the difference.

They are all so incredible, the margins are so small.

• Cheers 1

CNN- Italian boxer Angela Carini apologized Friday for her treatment of Algerian boxer Imane Khelif following Thursday’s Paris Olympics women’s 66kg weight class bout.

Following her loss to Khelif, in which she quit the contest after 46 seconds, Carini did not shake her opponent’s hand.

The fight triggered an onslaught of online abuse, with transphobic commentators incorrectly calling Khelif “a man” because of an alleged physical advantage.

“I’m sorry for my opponent,” she told Italian outlet La Gazzetta dello Sport. “If the IOC said she can fight, I respect that decision.”

This week, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) repeatedly defended Khelif’s right to compete.

Carini told the Italian sports outlet she regretted not shaking hands with Khelif after the bout and would “embrace” the Algerian if the pair met again.

“It wasn’t something I intended to do,” Carini said.

“Actually, I want to apologize to her and everyone else. I was angry because my Olympics had gone up in smoke,” she said.

Khelif is scheduled to be back in the ring for a quarterfinal bout on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

This is a cool idea.  I hope it sticks.

Did you know Paris has the first-ever Olympic event that anyone can compete in? (Yes, even you)

Paris 2024 Marathon Pour Tous is the 1st-ever Olympic event open to the general public

There are 20,024 runners competing, a deliberate number representing the 2024 Olympics. About 100 of them are Canadian, according to Running Magazine. An additional 20,024 runners were selected for a 10K race open to people age 16 and up, on the same night, through the heart of Paris.

Aurélie Merle, the executive sports director for Paris 2024, says the marathon route linking Paris and Versailles will be an "absolutely exceptional experience."

"If running a marathon was already an experience, running on the same course as the Olympic athletes, on the same day and in a magnificent setting and at night, promises to be a great adventure," she said in an April news release.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/paris-marathon-canadians-1.7281337

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Missouri Secretary of State, Valentina Gomez has some thoughts on the gender "controversy".....

"These f----ts should get their own f----t category, because before if a man hit a woman, it used to land him in jail. Now it gets you a gold medal at the Olympics," said Gomez. "These are the worst Olympics in history. They have made a mockery out of Christianity and women. And let me remind you: there's no such thing as a chick with a d---. Keep women's sports female."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/republican-declares-keep-women-s-sports-female-in-slur-filled-screed-targeting-boxer/ar-BB1r3BIU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=315c53f599d64609af9116d811e5ddfe&ei=30

This is an actual elected official in the USA....:picard:

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1