Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Read a story yesterday about Flava Flav and the guy who founded Reddit paying off one of Team USA's athletes rent for the year.

I think she's a discus thrower, or something like that.....apparently there isn't much money in it....

He also sponsored the women's water polo team. They had an interview with him a couple of days ago, so awesome.

You know, if all rich celebrities took an interest in human beings not as fortunate as them, we'd have a much better world. Share the love (and the wealth). 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

My wife just made me laugh, she suggested Bruce Jenner should have tried out for the women's decathlon team, probably still could have medaled.

Bruce was an incredible athlete. He’s old now (and a she) so wouldn’t his (her) testosterone levels be much lower due to both sex change and age? He (she) might just fit under the female testosterone levels so could compete. Or do the Olympics even use testosterone levels in females to determine whether a person qualifies? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bruce was an incredible athlete. He’s old now (and a she) so wouldn’t his (her) testosterone levels be much lower due to both sex change and age? He (she) might just fit under the female testosterone levels so could compete. Or do the Olympics even use testosterone levels in females to determine whether a person qualifies? 

she's 74 now. Their version of a decathlete is getting out of bed by 10.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Read a story yesterday about Flava Flav and the guy who founded Reddit paying off one of Team USA's athletes rent for the year.

I think she's a discus thrower, or something like that.....apparently there isn't much money in it....

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

He also sponsored the women's water polo team. They had an interview with him a couple of days ago, so awesome.

You know, if all rich celebrities took an interest in human beings not as fortunate as them, we'd have a much better world. Share the love (and the wealth). 

Going back in time, at the Vancouver Olympics Stephen Colbert, while not putting his money up, did become an advocate for the U.S. speed skating team, and encouraged his fans to support the team.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/webcontent/web-content/vi-L0ekWAWGD9%2Fotwvid=30OdNY7ociM&provider=yt&ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dcb4c44356e64e0683b60d25d660e9e2&ei=59

NEW YORK - Of the many countries participating at the Vancouver Olympics, add Colbert Nation to the list.

On Monday's "The Colbert Report," Stephen Colbert announced his show has become the primary sponsor of the U.S. Speedskating team. The team's largest annual cash sponsor, DSB Bank NV, left the team in the lurch after it declared bankruptcy in October.

-----------

'The show isn't paying the team any money directly. Instead, Colbert is calling on his fans to donate to the team via www.colbertnation.com and www.usspeedskating.org. In the past, Colbert has had a great deal of success raising money this way. He has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Yellow Ribbon Fund, a charity that assists injured service members and their families."

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Going back in time, at the Vancouver Olympics Stephen Colbert, while not putting his money up, did become an advocate for the U.S. speed skating team, and encouraged his fans to support the team.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/webcontent/web-content/vi-L0ekWAWGD9%2Fotwvid=30OdNY7ociM&provider=yt&ocid=hpmsn&cvid=dcb4c44356e64e0683b60d25d660e9e2&ei=59

NEW YORK - Of the many countries participating at the Vancouver Olympics, add Colbert Nation to the list.

On Monday's "The Colbert Report," Stephen Colbert announced his show has become the primary sponsor of the U.S. Speedskating team. The team's largest annual cash sponsor, DSB Bank NV, left the team in the lurch after it declared bankruptcy in October.

-----------

'The show isn't paying the team any money directly. Instead, Colbert is calling on his fans to donate to the team via www.colbertnation.com and www.usspeedskating.org. In the past, Colbert has had a great deal of success raising money this way. He has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for the Yellow Ribbon Fund, a charity that assists injured service members and their families."

I love him. This doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Congrats to Simone Biles for her gold.  And nice to see two Canadians in the final.

BUT - I started to watch this and I stopped half-way through.  The vaulting is entertaining but the vaults themselves only take a couple of seconds.  Then it takes the judges a couple of minutes to decide on the score.  Too much down time for too little action.

7 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Congrats to Simone Biles for her gold.  And nice to see two Canadians in the final.

BUT - I started to watch this and I stopped half-way through.  The vaulting is entertaining but the vaults themselves only take a couple of seconds.  Then it takes the judges a couple of minutes to decide on the score.  Too much down time for too little action.

Makes NHL refs look "The Road Runner". Nay, scratch that..😋

51 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Anyone else remember Bobby Clarke calling referee Bruce Hood a "fucking queer" on HNIC? Pretty sure they dumped the mics at the players' benches after that....:classic_laugh:

I must be really old because I was watching that game on HNIC when Clarke was caught on a hot mike, clearly upset with the referee and saying, "Ya asshole, ref. Ya fucking queer." Today the NHL would call that a homophobic slur and Clarke would be suspended.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I must be really old because I was watching that game on HNIC when Clarke was caught on a hot mike, clearly upset with the referee and saying, "Ya asshole, ref. Ya fucking queer." Today the NHL would call that a homophobic slur and Clarke would be suspended.

Is calling a straight guy queer really a homophobic slur?

11 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

But to be fair, the real story,  my wife was a live in nanny for someone high up in the Canucks who ran a weekly hockey game in the off season that I got to attend, it was mainly Canuck alumni, some lower league and once in a while current players. Nedved actually came out quite often and visited my wife’s boss and asked her out but she turned him down, we were dating at the time. In one game he was playing in I did get a hat trick, a pass went in of my helmet, a second of my ass and my third goal was actually a pretty impressive wrist shot.

Very cool! I enjoyed reading this, after the teaser yesterday, lol. 
You were a prototype for the rise of Taylor Pyatt!

• Haha 2