Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

Just now, Wilbur said:

Does the 6 point deduction effectively eliminate the Canadian Women?  If so, why not just ban the entire team?

Well they wanna let the players compete because they’ve prepared for this and don’t deserve to be banned.

Not being able to medal kinda defeats all their motivation though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So a 6 point deduction essentially means they cant medal correct?

They can still get out of their group as 2nd place, they will have to win out and have France beat New Zealand. That would put Canada with 3 points, and depending on the result of the Colombia vs NZ match, Canada could sit alone at 2nd or in a tie break situation.

But yes, chances are definitely against them getting out of the group stage.

I mean there is a chance all 4 teams end with 3 points at the end of the group stage. If France loses to NZ and Canada, and if Columbia beats NZ and loses to Canada that would put all 4 teams with 3 points. But that would be so unlikely lol

Edited by greenbean30

All the years of training and learning, gone because of some stupid cheater.

speculation is ramping up, that previously won medals are in jeopardy, according to some soccer talking heads on TSN.

soul crushing, to the innocent.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So a 6 point deduction essentially means they cant medal correct?

Now they are - 3.

Harsh, but probably fair. Especially if IOC won't strip Canada of the gold medal. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

They can still get out of their group as 2nd place, they will have to win out and have France beat New Zealand. That would put Canada with 3 points, and depending on the result of the Colombia vs NZ match, Canada could sit alone at 2nd or in a tie break situation.

But yes, chances are definitely against them getting out of the group stage.

I mean there is a chance all 4 teams end with 3 points at the end of the group stage. If France loses to NZ and Canada, and if Columbia beats NZ and loses to Canada that would put all 4 teams with 3 points. But that would be so unlikely lol

France is probably not going to lose at home.  If Canada can get any pts vs France, consider it a huge victory. 

I'm pulling for the ladies. It's not their fault the coaches cheated. But it's a team sport. 

• Like 2

The Minister of Sport just allocates money. He/She doesn't tell Soccer Canada what do to. Hockey Canada has had black eyes lately, no one blamed the Minister of Sport for mistakes and possible criminal charges by our Junior Team. The Canadian Olympic Committee has more authority probably than the Minister does.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

France is probably not going to lose at home.  If Canada can get any pts vs France, consider it a huge victory. 

I'm pulling for the ladies. It's not their fault the coaches cheated. But it's a team sport. 

I was just putting out scenarios where Canada could advance. Like I said, chances of them getting out of the group stage at this point are not very good.

2 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

I was just putting out scenarios where Canada could advance. Like I said, chances of them getting out of the group stage at this point are not very good.

Hence the bigger drama and adversity. 

Would be a sort of a redemption tournament if they can advance. 

Tie breaker rules FYI

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/soccer/news/olympic-soccer-bracket-schedule-group-format-2024-football/b6a8c4ab0fb45fb8c68b913d

In the group stage of the Olympics, teams earn three points for a win, one point for a draw, and none for a loss. To break ties among teams with equal points in the round-robin group phase, the following criteria are used in sequence:

1. Goal difference across all group matches (goals scored minus goals conceded);
  2. Total goals scored in all group matches;
  3. Points obtained in matches between the tied teams;
  4. Goal difference in matches between the tied teams;
  5. Goals scored in matches between the tied teams;
  6. Fair play points based on yellow and red cards received in all group matches;
  7. Drawing of lots.
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

3 points for a win.  1 for a draw.

I wish the NHL used 2 points for a win in regulation, 1 Point for an O/T win, 0 points for any loss. Why we are rewarding teams for pushing the game to O/T baffles me.

It would certainly amp up the 3rd periods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wish the NHL used 2 points for a win in regulation, 1 Point for an O/T win, 0 points for any loss. Why we are rewarding teams for pushing the game to O/T baffles me.

It would certainly amp up the 3rd periods.

TO be fair, is overtime better than just having a tie?  Overtime in regular season games was only instituted just over 40 years ago.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

and just HOW many Americans were in on dishing out the penalty to the Canadian ladies?

they're still pissed that we beat them in the last olympics. 

6 pt penalty is massive ... should've made it down one goal ( start the games  at 0-1)for all group goals to start the games... means we actually would've tied the Kiwis. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Good for you!

Im actually rallying for these girls even more now. They didn’t deserve this.

What a story it would be if they overcame this penalty and advanced. Even the harshest critic wouldn’t be able to not show respect.

It very much comes down to tomorrow though. A low scoring draw between New Zealand and Colombia would change things significantly. All of a sudden those teams would sit at one point with remaining games against France and Canada.

Not a crazy thought to think there could be a three way tie with each team having one point.  

New Zealand/Colombia - Draw

Canada/France - Draw

France/New Zealand - French win

Canada/Colombia - Canada win

Putting some goals on the board will be crucial though.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Does the 6 point deduction effectively eliminate the Canadian Women?  If so, why not just ban the entire team?

I think it does. Even if the win out, the best they can do is 3 points and I can't see that being enough to advance.

The penalty makes sense though. FIFA had to ensure that Canada doesn't advance, but sending them home altogether would create a competitive imbalance for the rest of the field. By letting them play their final two matches, they ensure that other teams in the group earn their spot(s) in the Knockout stage.

What concerns me more is the possibility that the team could lose their Gold from the Tokyo games.

• Upvote 1