Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

They're now saying he (Lyles) tested positive for COVID early Tuesday.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But it's just Thursday....should he even be in the race? I know we've gotten used to COVID but it's still a communicable disease.

Either way, a valiant effort considering.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/08/noah-lyles-positive-covid-before-200-meters/74724674007/?gnt-cfr=1&gca-cat=p

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I don't know, maybe it's just me. But it's just Thursday....should he even be in the race? I know we've gotten used to COVID but it's still a communicable disease.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2024/08/08/noah-lyles-positive-covid-before-200-meters/74724674007/?gnt-cfr=1&gca-cat=p

Hard to know how to feel about this. I was fortunate and never had it. Many people I know have got it once and some numerous times. I'm always a little 

worried it will come back strong or mutate or something.  Never will forget "The Bubble" though...

22 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

USA vs France Men’s Gold Medal Basketball on Saturday…Will Wembanyama defeat his NBA Counterparts in his homeland? 

FIBA definitely engineered their dream gold medal match just like FIFA. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

FIBA definitely engineered their dream gold medal match just like FIFA. 

Too perfect to be chance.

I don’t think I’d be the first one to question FIBAs crookedness.

Basketball more than any other sport can be rigged with the amount of foul calls made in the course of a game. More importantly when they’re made and not made.

Wonder how big of briefcase it took France to get their teams into the finals…

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Isolation rules aside, when you train for years to get that shot for gold, and covid costs you the gold, I think the coaching staff is partly to blame.  It's rarely a serious disease in fit athletes, but it isn't nothing, especially for peak performance athletes that rely on every competitive advantage they can.  No different if this was during the cup final.  Don't let the germs in when the games matter.  

Now it sounds like Lyles won't be in the relay. Maybe Canada can take advantage and get on the podium?  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -dlc- said:

IF, the US Olympic committee and head honcho's knew of him being positive and risking every athlete in the meet, and possibly the media and spectators, they should ALL be fired or removed. Weren't the Tokyo Olympics delayed an entire year because of Covid? I know of more people now testing positive and being ill from Covid, including me and my wife. How dare those ignorant Americans!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

IF, the US Olympic committee and head honcho's knew of him being positive and risking every athlete in the meet, and possibly the media and spectators, they should ALL be fired or removed. Weren't the Tokyo Olympics delayed an entire year because of Covid? I know of more people now testing positive and being ill from Covid, including me and my wife. How dare those ignorant Americans!

Thing is, was this fair? I mean sure, athletes are mostly saying they were ok with him competing but did they have a choice? I think others SHOULD have been notified.

454729445_10161118802430549_206712523733

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Could be the best medal haul ever. 

plus we crapped out with the women's soccer and men's sprints + decathalon. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, was this fair? I mean sure, athletes are mostly saying they were ok with him competing but did they have a choice? I think others SHOULD have been notified.

454729445_10161118802430549_206712523733

Knowingly testing positive, yet still competing, I’d say he doesn’t have any moral ground. The proper thing should have been to drop out, and call it an injury, like others have done. I’ve heard of a few other Olympians testing positive, and not participating in their events. Yes, were they told and were they really ok with him being in the events. American dollars might be in play in this debacle.

Edited by Johngould21
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Knowingly testing positive, yet still competing, I’d say he doesn’t have any moral ground. The proper thing should have been to drop out, and call it an injury, like others have done. I’ve heard of a few other Olympians testing positive, and not participating in their events. Yes, were they told and were they really ok with him being in the events. American dollars might be in play in this debacle.

I agree.

The fact that they knew but didn't even release the information is pretty sketchy. I, too, think he should have dropped out. Health (for everyone) first.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

I agree.

The fact that they knew but didn't even release the information is pretty sketchy. I, too, think he should have dropped out. Health (for everyone) first.

Americans really don’t give a damn about anyone else but their own personal gains.

Looking at Friday's schedule, there's some interesting events early in the morning but I'll leave those to the diehards.  Here are the events that grabbed my attention that start after I get out of bed:

9:00am  Cycling   Women's Madison   Final   Go Canada!  (whatever the heck the "Women's Madison" is.)

10:30am  Women's 4x100 Relay Final       Go Canada!

10:37am  Women's Shot Put Final   Canadian Sarah Mitton competes for Gold.

10:47am  Men's 4x100 Relay Final     Go Canada!

11:00am  Women's 400m Final   No Canadians but still an interesting event

12:45pm   Men's 400m Hurdles Final   No Canadians but still an interesting event

1:30pm  Women's Beach Volleyball Final     Go Canada!

1:51pm   Women's Boxing   66kg Final    Imane Khelif  /  Yang Liu

• Thanks 2