Paris 2024 Olympic Games

UnkNuk

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I was watching men’s and women’s breakdancing finals.

We are starting to run of sports I think, not sure how this thing ended up in the olympics.

Between skateboarding, BMX riding and this, we might as well add yodeling, knitting, darts and rap battles.

Apparently breakdancing is not going to be included in the 2028 Olympics in LA.

• Cheers 2

For sports that I dont usually watch except for during Olympics I like:

Rugby 7's First time I saw 7's was during a trip to Fiji and there was an international tourney including Canada. A great spectator sport. Fast games, not much stoppage time, tough and exciting. I live in Victoria where they train I believe so will try to get out to some matches

I watched bouldering with lead rock climbing and thought it was great 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6452930

Was pickle ball in the olympics? They need it, if not!!

Always watch indoor volleyball (not sure why people watch beach volleyball as its boring and slow. I guess it could be the bikinis. I think they should switch to three on three on grass - more recreational people play it and can relate to it). Mens versus womens indoor is similar to tennis. Men all power and quick points. Women more defence and longer rallies

This mens match between Japan and italy was unreal. Japan are smaller with quick attacks and outstanding defense and Italy is all power and physicality. 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6452043

Enjoyed the surfing but they were wave starved at one of the best surf breaks on the planet. Finals day saw some riders only getting one scoring wave in 30min. First day was okay and it caused some havoc with the ladies with one rider needing stitches to the head. Overall I was impressed with their riding on that wave. The women surfers have come along way in charging big hollow waves lately. Third day was really good, One man almost drowned and they didnt run the ladies, I believe to save them from some serious incidents. It will be interesting if they keep surfing in the next two olympics in Los Angeles 2028  and Brisbane 2030 where they can run the surf comp in artificial wave pools. That would take out the unknown of mother nature producing rideable swells during the event window.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, BarneyKook said:

For sports that I dont usually watch except for during Olympics I like:

Rugby 7's First time I saw 7's was during a trip to Fiji and there was an international tourney including Canada. A great spectator sport. Fast games, not much stoppage time, tough and exciting. I live in Victoria where they train I believe so will try to get out to some matches

I watched bouldering with lead rock climbing and thought it was great 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6452930

Was pickle ball in the olympics? They need it, if not!!

Always watch indoor volleyball (not sure why people watch beach volleyball as its boring and slow. I guess it could be the bikinis. I think they should switch to three on three on grass - more recreational people play it and can relate to it). Mens versus womens indoor is similar to tennis. Men all power and quick points. Women more defence and longer rallies

This mens match between Japan and italy was unreal. Japan are smaller with quick attacks and outstanding defense and Italy is all power and physicality. 

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6452043

Enjoyed the surfing but they were wave starved at one of the best surf breaks on the planet. Finals day saw some riders only getting one scoring wave in 30min. First day was okay and it caused some havoc with the ladies with one rider needing stitches to the head. Overall I was impressed with their riding on that wave. The women surfers have come along way in charging big hollow waves lately. Third day was really good, One man almost drowned and they didnt run the ladies, I believe to save them from some serious incidents. It will be interesting if they keep surfing in the next two olympics in Los Angeles 2028  and Brisbane 2030 where they can run the surf comp in artificial wave pools. That would take out the unknown of mother nature producing rideable swells during the event window.

I was watching the surfing finals the other night. It was mostly sitting on boards, waiting for a wave. The winner happened to catch a good one and they went deep in the barrel and shot straight out. They got a massive score for it. The other surfer was trying desperately to catch up, doing lots of nice turns and whatnot, showing a lot more skill to my untrained eye imo, but they couldn't come close to the score so they lost. Don't get me wrong, the barrel ride was impressive, and obviously took a great deal of skill, but no other wave broke like that for any rider so what could done to catch up? It didn't seem fair imo. Any sport, where the quality of a random wave is virtually as important as the skill of the rider, probably shouldn't be in the Olympics. 

I imagine the ability to read waves is a part of skill when it comes to surfing, and that it factors into the scoring process, but anyone who witnessed the finals will understand the folly of that practice. At least as it pertains to Olympic sport. Like you said, artificial waves could certainly help level the playing field in that regard. 

9 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Apparently breakdancing is not going to be included in the 2028 Olympics in LA.

took them long enough

• Haha 2

new idea for an event.....speed golf. fastest time/lowest score wins... whole event is done inside of an day... all 4 rounds, same day. no caddies, no outside help. pure skill & stamina. 

can someone please explain to me why in boxing the loser of the bronze medal fight ALSO gets a bronze, but other events it's either bronze or nothing?

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

can someone please explain to me why in boxing the loser of the bronze medal fight ALSO gets a bronze, but other events it's either bronze or nothing?

There is no bronze medal fight.  The losers of each semi get bronze. 

The reason:

There is a very real chance that a boxer could get smoked in their fight.  It's just wrong to then "force" that boxer who lost to then fight again.  Plus, by then they have also fought a number of times in a short period of time.  

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not to dump on Olympic events, but doesn't some of the these events seem like "stuff that people made up?"

Congrats to all the Olympians. 

Isn't that pretty much life? Stuff we made up?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have know idea what’s going on in this track cycling…🤣

Theres so many people on the track!

LOL me too.

The more the merrier? Cycling free for all? Something like that.

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Isn't that pretty much life? Stuff we made up?

I see some folk upset about the temp addition of breakdancing.

To me, its just another category of rhythmic gymnastics.

• Cheers 4